Transcribed by: Ellen Booth.At a meeting of the citizens held at the cabinet work-shop of James Mott, January 25, 1859, John M. Ward was chosen President, and Joel Hall, Clerk. The vote being canvassed, it appeared that thirty-one votes had been cast for, to eight against an act incorporating the village. February 8, the following Board of Trustees was chosen: Seneca Winters, Nathaniel F. Stone, Stephen England, Levi Gibbs and Robert C. Arnold. February 25, the Board organized by electing Seneca Winters, President, and Joel Hall, Town Clerk. March 7, the Board met and elected the following officers: John M. Ward. Town Attorney; John V. Freeman, Town Treasurer; John F. Whitney, Constable; Joseph W. Center, Street Commissioner. In its corporate capacity it did much in the way of improving the village. Since the building of the Springfield & North-Western Railroad new life had been infused into the village, and her business has revived to a considerable extent. Some substantial improvements have been made in the past year or two, both in the erection of business houses and private residences. The ravages of the remorseless tooth of time are, however, plainly discoverable on many of her fast decaying buildings. Her business interests at present comprise four general stores, two drug stores, one cabinet shop, one saddle and harness shop, two or three general wagon and repair shops. Quite an amount of grain and live stock is also shipping from this point. The moral status of the place is not surpassed by any of her sister towns. Such is the Athens of Menard to-day, venerable for her age, and for the important part she played in affording conveniences to the early settlers of this portion of the county.