HISTORY
OF
MENARD & MASON COUNTIES, ILLINOIS
1879

Chicago: O.L. Baskin & Co., Historical Publishers
186 Dearborn Street
Chicago

Page 243

The Episcopal Church
Transcribed by: Kristin Vaughn.

There is but one Episcopal Church in the county, and this is located in Petersburg. The house was erected, and the Church organized, through the energy and zeal of Mrs. Harris, relict of the late Hon. Thomas L. Harris. The Trinity Church is a substantial brick of the Gothic style of architecture, standing on the hillside, commanding a fine view of Petersburg. The first Rector of Trinity was Rev. Mr. Steel, who served the congregation very acceptably, and then gave up this charge to accept one in Alton, Ill. The Church was without a Minister for upward of a year, but have recently secured the services of a Minister, who entered on his duties in August.


1879 Index

MAGA © 2000, 2001, 2002. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).