HISTORY
OF
MENARD & MASON COUNTIES, ILLINOIS
1879

Chicago: O.L. Baskin & Co., Historical Publishers
186 Dearborn Street
Chicago

Page 243

The Lutheran (German)
Transcribed by: Kristin Vaughn.

This denomination had had a church in the county seat for several years, and, although representatives of the Church are found all over the county wherever there are Germans, yet no congregation was ever organized in the county, out of Petersburg, until two years ago, when Prof. Winnekin, of the Lutheran Theological Seminary, located at Springfield, organized a congregation in the vicinity of Tallula, and they have since erected a neat, though cheap house of worship. There is, also, a large community of German Lutherans in the neighborhood of Greenview, though they have not, as yet, been formally organized. In Petersburg, the Church owns a small brick church house, and on adjoining lots are a schoolhouse and parsonage. These are all free from debt. Rev. Robert Collier is at present, and has been for more than a year past, their Pastor. The membership in this congregation is large, and they have regular services each Sabbath.


1879 Index

MAGA © 2000, 2001, 2002. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).