James E. Culver, interested in general farming, is now operating three hundred and forty acres of valuable land in township 18. He was born in Menard county, July 15, 1860, his parents being John S. and Elizabeth (Brasfield) Culver. Reared under the parental roof, at the usual age he entered the public schools and at a later date he attended a business college in Jacksonville, Illinois, so that he was well equipped by mental training for the responsible and active duties that come in a business career. In the periods of vacation he assisted in the work of the home farm and throughout his entire life he has followed the occupation to which he was reared. He has placed his fields under a high state of cultivation and in addition to the production of the cereals best adapted to soil and climate he has been engaged in the raising and feeding of cattle and hogs. He now has forty head of cattle and about one hundred head of hogs upon his place together with thirty head of good horses. He is now farming three hundred and forty acres of as fine land as can be found in Menard county and his home is a commodious and beautiful residence surrounded by splendid shade trees, which he has planted. He has tiled the land and, in fact, has made all of the modern improvements upon it and now has an excellent property in keeping with the ideas of a model farm of the twentieth century.
On the 14th of February, 1883, Mr. Culver was united in marriage to Miss Iona Johnson, a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Gaines) Johnson, who are mentioned at length on another page of this work, her father being one of the representative agriculturists of Menard county. Unto Mr. And Mrs. Culver have been born six children, two sons and four daughters, and the family circle yet remains unbroken by the hand of death, the children being yet under the parental roof. Their names and dates of birth are as follows: Harry W., May 3, 1884; Mattie A., May 10, 1887; Edna E., May 21, 1889; Clara E., September 24, 1893; Margaret N., October 3, 1896; and Florence I., December 5, 1889.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Culver are members of the Presbyterian church at Indian Point. They take an active and helpful interest in its work, are generous contributors to its support and as a church officer Mr. Culver is well known. He was one of the deacons for twelve years and at the present time is serving as one of the church elders. He has been a member of the Odd Fellows society and in all life's relations he has faithfully performed each duty and won the respect and good will of his fellow men. In politics he is a staunch Republican, but while unfaltering in his allegiance to the party and its principals he has never sought office and though asked to become a candidate for county commissioner he declined. He prefers to concentrate his efforts and energies on his business affairs and his fine farm is to-day a monument to his well directed and honorable labor.