DR. BERTON W. HOLE, who is engaged in practice in Tallula, where his ability has found recognition in a large and growing patronage, was born in Mason county near Havana, Illinois, October 11, 1870, his parents being William H. and Rebecca Susan (Dieffenbacher) Hole. The father was of English lineage, while the mother was of German descent. His birth occurred near Salem in Washington county, Indiana, and his father was a native of Ohio. The paternal great-grandfather, Daniel Hole, came from England to America and was the founder of the family in the new world. At the time of the Civil war William H. Hole espoused the cause of the Union and enlisted in the Eighty-Fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He served under Sherman, participated in the battles of Chattanooga, Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge, Buzzard's Roost, Ringgold, Kenesaw, Resaca, Atlanta, the march to the sea and the Carolina campaign, after which he participated in the grand review at Washington, D. C. He was a brave and loyal soldier, doing his full duty as a defender of the Union cause and he is now an honored member of the Grand Army of the Republic. He still resides near Mason City in Mason county. He has always followed farming and now owns a good tract of land in that locality. He lost his first wife in Havana, Illinois, in 1877, and has since married again. He has one brother and one sister living: Thomas A., who is a retired farmer residing in Havana; and Mrs. Maria Lafton, also living in Havana. Berton W. Hole is the second in a family of three children, but Edgar, the eldest, died at the age of eighteen months. His sister, Garnet, is the wife of W. S. Chestnut, who is a farmer but resides in the town. They have two children, a son and daughter.
Berton W. Hole was educated in the country schools and at the high school of Havana, in which he was graduated in the class of 1889. He then entered the medical department of the Northwestern University, where he completed a course by graduation in 1892, the degree of Medical Doctor being then conferred upon him. Having thus qualified for practice he opened an office in Virginia, Illinois, in the summer of 1892, but remained there only until September of that year, when he came to Tallula and entered into partnership with Dr. C. M. Robertson. This relation was maintained until 1897, when Dr. Robertson retired and Dr. Hole has since been alone in business, enjoying a large and lucrative practice. He is very careful in the diagnosis of a case, is seldom at fault in his judgment, and in his practice has displayed a thorough knowledge of the science of medicine with correct application of its principles to the needs of suffering humanity. He belongs to the Menard County Medical Society, to the Sangamon County Medical Society, the Brainard District Medical Society, the Illinois State Medical Society and the American Medical Association, and through the interchange of thought and experience in these organizations he keeps in touch with the advancement which is being continually made by the medical fraternity. He has further prepared for his professional duties by post-graduate work in the Post-Graduate Medical College of Chicago, which he attended in 1899. He is now secretary of the pension board of Petersburg, Illinois, and he has a large general practice in Tallula and the surrounding district.
In June, 1894, Dr. Hole was united in marriage to Miss Sarah I. Robertson, a daughter of Dr. C. M. Robertson. She acquired her early education in Tallula and afterward attended the Female Seminary at Jacksonville, Illinois. Both the Doctor and Mrs. Hole are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian church and they are prominent socially, the cordial hospitality of the best homes of this part of the county being freely extended to them. In his political views the Doctor is a stalwart Republican, ever supporting the party since attaining his majority and although he has never sought office he keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day. He has been a school director and he is a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Masonic fraternities, the latter at Pleasant Plains. He was made a Mason at that place in April, 1903. In a profession where advancement depends solely upon individual merit he has steadily worked his way upward and in the enjoyment of a large practice is now daily demonstrating his ability to successfully solve the intricate problems which continually meet the physician.