JOHN H. KINCAID, who carries on general farming and is also engaged in the breeding and raising of fine horses, was born July 9, 1848, on the family homestead where he now resides, his father being John Kennedy Kincaid, who is represented on another page of this volume. Our subject supplemented his education privileges by study in the North Sangamon Academy, which is located about a quarter of a mile west of his present home. He continued upon the old homestead farm with his parents until twenty-eight years of age, when he was married and went to a home of his own, removing to a farm near Irish Grove, where he continued his residence for seven years. On the expiration of that period he bought the old home place, built a new residence thereon, also a good barn and, in fact, has added many other modern structures and equipments, so that the farm is supplied with all the accessories found upon a model farm of the twentieth century. He is engaged in the raising of standard bred trotting horses and has bred the following: Twillmo, with a record of 2:17¾; Rodney Corbitt, 2:29¼; Frances Corbitt, 2:20; Carol Almar, 2:30; and Lina Prue, 2:19; and he also owns Guy Corbitt, No. 11726. He held a sale of thirty-two head of his fine horses on the 14th of September, 1904.
On the 20th of February, 1878, Mr. Kincaid was married to Miss Ella Culver, a daughter of John and Elizabeth Culver, who were natives of Menard county and are now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Kincaid have two children: James Earle, born October 9, 1880; and John Kennedy, born December 29, 1885.
Mr. Kincaid was made a Mason at Greenview, July 4, 1871, and still affiliates with the blue lodge at that place, and with the chapter and commandery at Petersburg and the consistory and Mystic Shrine at Peoria. In his life he exemplifies the tenets and teachings of the order, conforming his relations with his fellow men to the principles of the craft. In politics he is a Republican but has always refused office. Himself and family are members of the Presbyterian church and he has for a number of years been a ruling elder. Mr. Kincaid is now comfortably situated on a vary fine farm of six hundred acres, well improved, and his property is the visible evidence of his life of enterprise, diligence and perseverance.