ANDREW PARK, who since March 1877, has resided upon his farm on sections 3 and 10, township 18, where he now owns and operates one hundred and fifty-five acres of land, was born in Paisley, Scotland, July 22, 1846, his parents being James and Rebecca (Purdon) Park, who were also natives of the land of the heather. The father's and mother's people came from the lowlands of Scotland and he was a farmer by occupation. The Park family were landowners there but going security for a man lost their property. Both the parents of our subject were members of the Presbyterian church of Scotland. Leaving his native country in 1862, James Park crossed the Atlantic to America and made his way westward to Petersburg. His brothers, Matthew and Thomas Park, had come to Illinois many years before and had entered land from the government when much of it was still unclaimed. An aunt, Annie Barclay, emigrating from Scotland to Virginia, afterward came to Illinois and purchased the farm whereon Andrew Park now resides, he having bought the land from her. Another aunt, Mrs. Margaret Shepard, came from Scotland to Illinois at the time of the arrival of Thomas and Matthew Park. All are now deceased.
In the family of James and Rebecca Park were nine children, seven daughters and two sons, as follows: Isabella married Cristopher Rose and they resided in Scotland, but both are now deceased. Their son Christopher is now a resident of Antelope county, Nebraska. Elizabeth is the deceased wife of William Wilson, a resident of Scotland, and they had four children. Rebecca died in infancy. Rebecca married William Finley and is now a widow, residing two and a half miles northeast of Petersburg. Annie married Anthony Clark, a resident of Bement, Piatt county, Illinois, and they have three children. Andrew is the sixth of the family. Margaret is the widow of George W. Hollis, resides in the Petersburg precinct and has nine children. Agnes is the wife of Harry Houghton, living five miles south of Petersburg. And they have six children. James died at the age of twenty-four years.
In the public schools of Scotland Andrew Park acquired his education, and while still living in that country he began earning his own living by working as a farm hand, receiving thirty dollars in compensation for six months service. Coming to the United States in 1862 he has found in the freedom and appreciation of this great western country, with its livelier competition and advancement more quickly secured, the business opportunities he sought and is today one of the substantial farmers of his adopted county. He was employed on his father's farm for a time and also worked for others and then when his labor had made possible the purchase of a tract of land, he began farming for himself upon the place which has been his home since March, 1877. He has here one hundred and fifty-five acres of good land and he also owns fifty acres near the Brush schoolhouse, and because of the careful cultivation bestowed upon his fields the farm has become very productive and therefore profitable.
On the 19th of August, 1885, Mr. Park was married to Miss Harriet Rutledge, a daughter of McGrady and Margaret (Harris) Rutledge, the former a native of Kentucky and the latter of Tennessee. Mr. and Mrs. Park have two children, both of whom are living. James H., born August 2, 1887; and Stella R., born Jun 17, 1892. Both are students in the public schools.
Mr. Park's views on the temperance question are indicated by the support which he gives to the Prohibition party. He belongs to the Cumberland Presbyterian church and his influence is always a factor in behalf of law and order, justice, truth and right. He has led a very busy life, and realizing that labor is the basis of all honorable success, he has worked on persistently year after year and is now in possession of a comfortable competence as the result of his earnest toil.