Transcribed by: Ellen Booth.Page 321
ALEXANDER H. STONE is the owner of a fine farm in township 19. His home is surrounded by beautiful maple trees and fruit trees are also seen there. Flowers likewise adorn the lawn and there are many evidences of comfort and prosperity. Mr. Stone was born July 28, 1838, in Menard county, his parents being Ambrose L. and Catherine (Walker) Stone, in whose family were six children: Boone David died July 4, 1854, at the age of twenty-three years; William W. is now living in Greenview; Jane E. died in November 1888; James A. died July 6, 1868; Mary A. is living in Missouri; and Alexander H. is the other member of the family.
Alexander H. Stone remained with his parents in the days of his boyhood and youth and pursued his education in the subscription and public schools of Menard county. He was taught to realize the value of industry and honesty in the active affairs of life and these qualities have been numbered among his sterling characteristics throughout the period of his manhood. He now successfully carries on general agricultural pursuits and is the owner of an excellent tract of land of two hundred and fifteen acres. When he took possession thereof it was all open prairie, but he has plowed and planted the land, developing rich fields, and has also set out fruit and shade trees until at the present time his home is surrounded by tall and stately maples and fine fruit trees. There are also flower beds in his yard and the attractive surroundings of the place indicate the refined and cultured taste of Mr. and Mrs. Stone.
Mr. Stone remained with his parents until his marriage, which was celebrated on the 22d of September 1864, Miss Minerva Kincaid becoming his wife. Her father, William C. Kincaid, was born February 16, 1813, and died December 24, 1895. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Berilla N. Hill, was born February 2, 1821, and died July 5, 1899. They removed from Kentucky to Illinois in 1854, and purchased eighty acres of improved land at twelve dollars per acre. Mr. Kincaid also bought twenty-five acres of timber land, from which he afterward cleared the trees. His business was general farming and stock-raising and he carried on agricultural pursuits upon his old homestead farm until the 1st of November, 1889, when he and his wife left their old home and went to live with their daughter, Mrs. Stone, with whom they remained until called to their final rest. Both were members of the Presbyterian church and were widely known as devoted Christian people. Mr. Kincaid served as township treasurer for a number of years and gave his political allegiance to the Republican party. Unto him and his wife were born three children, of whom Mrs. Stone is the eldest. By her marriage she has become the mother of two children, a son and daughter: Lee C. and Hattie B. The latter is at home with her parents. The former, born March, 23, 1868, was married February 12, 1895, to Alpha Johnson and they have two children, Carroll L., born November 19, 1895; and Alpha M., born October 24, 1901.
After his marriage Mr. Stone settled upon his present farm, in 1864, and has since resided there. He served as school director for fifteen years, the cause of education finding in him a warm friend. He votes with the Republican party and, like every true American citizen should do, gives his earnest support to the political issues which he advocates. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church and their many excellent traits of character have won them the warm regard of all with whom they have been associated in both business and social life.