GEORGE ADDISON WARING, formerly identified with commercial pursuits in Petersburg, but for a number of years a representative of the agricultural interests of Menard county, lives upon what was originally the Thompson farm, two and a half miles northwest of the county seat. He is a native son of Menard county, born on the 12th of October, 1856, his parents being George G. and Elizabeth (Clark) Waring, who are represented elsewhere in this volume.
George A. Waring attended the country schools until 1874 when he entered the State University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, and in 1875 he attended the Springfield business college, from which he was graduated the following spring. Returning to his native county, he engaged in merchandising on his own account at Chandlerville, Illinois, in 1876, there remaining until 1881, when he removed to Petersburg, where he was connected with merchandising until he took up his abode upon the Thompson farm. Being situated about two and a half miles from Petersburg, the comforts and conveniences of city life are easily obtainable, while those of the farm are being daily enjoyed. Mr. Waring has placed the land under a high state of cultivation and is progressive as well as practical in his methods of farming, so that his labors are attended with excellent results. The farm consists of two hundred acres.
On the 23d of October, 1878 Mr. Waring married Miss Elizabeth A. Thompson, a daughter of Aaron and Amanda Thompson, a sketch of whom appears on another page of this volume. Her early education was acquired in the district schools and later she attended the Women's College at Jacksonville, after which she taught the Barclay school for six years. She also received a good musical education. Possessing considerable literary ability, she has written many able articles for the local papers, which have received favorable comment here and elsewhere. Mr. and Mrs. Waring have an adopted daughter, Bernice Marie, who was born in Cumberland, Guernsey county, Ohio, November 15, 1901.
Politically Mr. Waring has always been a Democrat, but never an aspirant for office. In December, 1876, he was made a Mason in Chandlerville lodge, No. 724, at Chandlerville, Illinois, and now holds membership in Clinton lodge, No. 19, A.F. & A.M., of Petersburg, Illinois. He has also attained the Knight Templar degree of the York rite, belonging to St. Aldemar commandery, No. 47, of Petersburg, Illinois, and the thirty-second degree of the Scottish rite, belonging to the Peoria consistory and to the Mystic Shrine. At present he is serving as junior warden in the commandery and has held other offices in the blue lodge.