HISTORY OF MORGAN COUNTY, ILLINOIS
Its Past and present
Chicago: Donnelley, Loyd & Co., Publishers, 1878.






MADDOX, GEORGE S. farmer, Sec. 20, P.O. Meredosia; born in Madison County, Ohio, April 1, 1852; married Aug. 1875, to Gabraellen Lake, born Jan. 5, 1859, in this county; have one child, born Jan. 16, 1878, named William Aaron. Mr. Maddox came to this State when one year old, and to this county 1876; he was raised in Scott Co. His father, William, was born in Ohio, and came to this county in 1853; his wife was Nancy J. Webb, born in Ohio. Mrs. Maddox's father and mother are Aaron Lake and Susan Bosseck; he was born in Illinois, she in Indiana. Mr. Maddox had two brothers in the army during the rebellion, David and Lewis; they enlisted in Co. F, 129th Ill. Inf. Owns 60 acres land, value, $30 an acre.

MANCHESTER, DAVID, farmer, Sec. 6, P.O. Prentice. Was born in Warren Co., N.Y., in 1798, where, until he was about 17 years old, worked at the lumber business, marketing his lumber in Quebec. He went to Fort Duquoin, in Pennsylvania, where he bought a skiff and rowed to Shawneetown; went on foot to Miner Burton, below St. Louis, where he worked in a lead mine two years. Went on foot to St. Louis, where he worked in a livery stable four months for five dollars a month, when he came on foot to this county, and settled in this precinct with less than a dollar in his pocket. Times were very hard; he split 500 rails for a pair of shoes; the leather was tanned in a trough by Kasbier, and the hair not half removed. Raised cotton, which he took to Beardstown and traded for cloth to make his clothes. Was fifer in the war of 1812 under Gen. Strong and Capt. Spencer; saw the battle of Plattsburg, and was discharged after thirty days' service. Was in the Black Hawk war through the whole campaign with Gen. Taylor, Jeff Davis, and Lincoln, and member of Col. Ewing's spy battallion, Capt. Lindsley, and under the immediate command of Gen. Atkinson, and mustered out of service by Major Anderson, of Ft. Sumter fame. Started for Mexico as chief musician under Gen. Hardin; was taken sick at Alton, and sent back to Jacksonville, where he was discharged. Made and burned a kiln of brick in 1835. Married Ethie Linda Cox in 1825; she was born in Henry Co., Va., in 1803; have four children living: Thomas J. Louisa, Van Renselaer and Jerome; lost five: Nancy, Ellen, Elizabeth Jane, David, and Josephine.

MANN, A.H. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 21, P.O. Franklin; in the year 1820, when the attention of the people of the Southern and Eastern States was attracted to the fertile prairies of the West, John and Elsie, parents of the subject of this sketch, set out from Ohio to Indiana, their goods packed in an ox cart; the little party of emigrants made their way over the trackless waste of prairie, coming in contact with but few cabins on the way; they settled near Terre Haute a small place, where but one white man resided; keeping a small store, he supplied the early settler with the necessaries of life. The cabin entered was built by the head of the family, a rude affair, constructed of poles; here he lived for many years, his companions the backwoodsman or daring adventurer; the wagon he owned was manufactured by himself, the wheels being cut from a fallen tree, holes being bored through the center, a reach attached to this, and the whole surmounted by a rude box. Various interesting items could be told of the early life of Mr. M. did space permit. His marriage was blessed with twelve children, five of whom are living; the oldest, whose name appears at the head of this sketch, was born in Sullivan County, Indiana, in 1819; when but a lad of sixteen, in company with a Mr. Harney, he set out for Illinois, where he settled in Franklin, Morgan County; it then contained but two frame buildings. At the end of eight years, during which time he worked at his trade of cooper, his parents also became residents of Illinois, where they passed the remainder of life. In 1846, A.H. Mann married Miss Nancy Covey, daughter of Robert and Ann Covey, natives of Tennessee, where Mrs. Mann was born, in 1826. Three children, two of whom are living: Mary married Green Dalton, and John, who married Rebecca Dalton; Mr. M. owns 75 acres of land, well improved, owing to indefatigable energy.

MANSFIELD, J.B. & CO., millers, Franklin; as early as 1855 the Mansfield Bros. started in the milling business in Franklin, taking in as partner George B. Wallen, the firm doing business under the firm name of Wallen & Mansfield; both members were men of experience, and the business prospered; in a few years the Mansfield Bros. purchased the interest of Mr. Wallen; business was then done in a large wooden building, still standing; in connection with the grist mill, a carding factory was in operation, used in making rolls of wool similar to those made on a spinning-jenny; in 1866, the firm built the present large brick structure, which has a run of two stones, and every facility for the successful operation of their business; the woolen mill is still a feature, in successful operation, manufacturing jeans, flannels, etc.; J.B. Mansfield was born in Byron County, Kentucky, in 1827; three years after, his parents moved to Morgan County; J.B. was educated at subscription schools; in 1849, married Martha Austin; at twenty-five was apprenticed to the trade of miller; nine children: Sarah E., Susan I., deceased, Elizabeth A., Mary F., Emma D., Ella, William B., James E., Zulah, and Maud; Issac T., the junior member, was born in Morgan County, in 1831; educated in subscription schools common in early times,; in 1852, married Susan Austin, daughter of Eli and Elizabeth; eight children: Catherine I., Ely O., Elizabeth, George B., Charles E., Anna, Frank, Ethel M., and Della.

MANSON, JAMES W. of the firm Crain & Hanson, dry goods' merchants and bankers, ws Square, Waverly Ill.; was born June 2, 1826, in Frederick Co., Maryland; came to Morgan Co., Ill., in the Spring of 1838, with his father, Jonathan Manson; was married Sept. 6, 1849, to Miss Ruth Hamilton, daughter of Rev. John C. Hamilton; she died May 5, 1853; was married June 17, 1856, to Miss Abbie A. Thompson, daughter of Oswald Thompson, of Cass Co.; she was born Sept. 19, 1838, in Cass Co.; have five children living by his last wife, namely; Clara I., born March 28, 1857, Wm. O. born Oct. 9, 1858, Emma born May 5, 1864, Frankie and Nellie born May 10, 1871

MARSHALL, ROBERT B., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 16, P.O. Jacksonville; youngest son of Wm. Marshall, of Morgan Co.; born April 6, 1848, and has lived on his present homestead since birth, having grown up as it were with the county, and one whose interests are closely identified with its growth and improvements; married Jan. 27, 1870 to Maggie E. daughter of John and Mary DeLapp, of Morgan Co., born Nov. 28, 1853; this union has been blessed by four children, viz.: John Wm. born Feb. 12, 1871; Millie Frances, Sept. 17, 1872; Wesley Alex. Aug. 13, 1874; Florence Ann, June 30, 1876; Mr. Marshall enlisted Feb. 13, 1865, in Co. K, 154th I.V.I. and served in Tennessee till the close of the war; the homestead consists of 100 acres beautifully located and highly improved land, showing its owner to be an industrious and thrifty husbandman.

MARSHALL, WM. H. grocer, Pearl st., Waverly, Ill.; was born in Jacksonville, Morgan Co., March 19, 1857; moved to Carlinville, Macoupin Co., Ill., with his parents in 1864, where his father died on the 22d day of February, 1874; his mother married the second time to Daniel Dulls, Esq., Coroner of Macoupin Co.; Mr. M. received his education at Blackburn University at Carlinville, where he has resided since 1864 until September, 1877, when he moved to Jacksonville, and in April, 1878, he came to Waverly and embarked in the grocery business.

MARTIN, PLEASANT, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 21, P.O. Woodson, son of James, a native of Kentucky, and Nancy Jane, whose maiden name was Sheplar, and who was a native of Kentucky; they were among the earliest settlers in Southern Illinois, settling in Scott County as early as 1830. James Martin, in due time, became an extensive farmer, and on the farm of his father, in 1833, young Martin was born. Receiving a liberal education in the rude log cabin of the times, in 1855 he married Mary Ann Devore, in Morgan County; following year moved from Scott to Morgan, and bought 176 acres six miles south of Jacksonville; since which time, with the exception of three years spent in Missouri, has been residing in Morgan County; now owns 80 acres of well-improved land; held office as school director; children are: William E., Fanny, Eliza, Sarah Belle, Charles, Sampson, and Luella May.

MARTIN, WILLIAM H., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 24, P.O. Murrayville. The father and mother of the gentleman at the head of this sketch was born in Tennessee, and removed to Illinois more than fifty years ago; the trip was made by the overland route, and in a covered wagon; settling in Greene County, soon a log cabin was constructed out of rough-hewn logs; as the country filled up, the settlers, as a mark of esteem, called the settlement after 'Squire Martin, hence, "Martin's Prairie." Our subject was born October 9, 1851, in Greene County, studied Webster and the other simple rudiments common to the district school until his majority; was united in wedlock to Miss Mary Neal, daughter of John T. Neal, on July 25, 1872, by the Rev. Mr. Stubblefield, of the M.E. Church; after their marriage moved, and purchased a good improved farm in Sec. 24, where he now resides; they have had three children to bless their union: Bertha, born May 16, 1873, died October, 1874, Norse, born May 13, 1875, and Pearly, born September, 1876, died February, 1877. Mr. Martin's father and mother are now the only surviving old settlers of North Greene County, and often relate the incidents of the log rollings of half a century ago, and of living on "Johnnie cake."

MASSEY, H.H. Sr., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 25, P.O. Jacksonville; born in St. Lawrence Co., New York, Oct. 17, 1811; removed to Missouri in the Winter of 1819, and to this State and county in 1827, settling at Diamond Grove; his parents removing hither in 1829, having previously entered and purchased land; the subject of this sketch was married in 1834 to Miss Margaret C. Officer, daughter of Mr. Officer, of Tennessee, born in 1809; this union has been blessed by six children, all living, viz.: Fanny, born Feb. 1835, wife of Henry W. Verry, Sangamon Co.; Laura L, Nov. 1837, wife of George W. Breen, of Kansas; William S. born Jan. 1839, resides at Diamond Grove; Lydia M. born Sept. 1842, wife of C.C. Cox, of Kansas; Mary E. born 1846, widow of the late Wm. Sibert, of Morgan Co.; Horatio H. Jr., born Oct. 1849, of Diamond Grove; the homestead consists of 640 acres, and he is the owner of considerable other lands in Kansas.

MASSEY, LEWIS, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 30, P.O. Franklin. Oldest son of Wm. And Nancy Massey, who were natives of Scott County, Kentucky, where Lewis was born about 1825; Wm. Massey was a shoemaker by trade, and also carried on a farm, on the homestead; young Lewis attended school; in 1836 his parents emigrated to Illinois, in a covered wagon, passing through Indiana; at the end of three weeks, located in Morgan County; a small farm was purchased; two years later the head of the family died, leaving to the care of the pioneer wife nine children to provide for; for many years the family lived in a log cabin, where the fare was simple, but their wants easily satisfied; all of his children, except Jesse and John, are residents of Morgan Co.; Lewis Massey, must necessarily have been of an energetic disposition for we find all his descendants comfortably situated in life; many of them wealthy, owing to habits of industry, which lead to wealth; the first school that Lewis Massey, Jr., attended, was taught by Joel Heddington, one of the first settlers in old Morgan; before the war Mr. Massey owned tracts of land in Missouri, and in Morgan County, Illinois, some 300 acres; in 1863 he married Miss Mary Bennett, who died in 1871; six years later, married Mrs. Martha Hart, daughter of Isaac Allen; in the States of Illinois and Missouri, he owns 1000 acres of land; he takes a leading position as a farmer.

MASSEY, S.S., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 24, P.O. Jacksonville; the subject of this sketch was born in St. Lawrence Co., New York, Feb. 18, 1814; removed to Illinois with his parents in Oct. 1829; his father having purchased a farm two years previously at Diamond Grove; Mr. M. has lived in this neighborhood since that time, thus being familiar with all details of the growth of this county; is the youngest son of Silas and Frances Massey, whose entire family consisted of three sons and a daughter; seven years ago, five members of this family lived within three miles of this place; the father died Jan. 2, 1874, aged 87 years, 9 months; mother died Aug. 7, 1871 in her 83d year; Mr. S.S. M. was married Oct. 14, 1840 to Miss L. A. Bement, who was born in Bradford, New Hampshire; the fruits of this union has been eight children, six of whom are still living, viz.: Maria L. born Oct. 23, 1841, now Mrs. Ayers, of Scott Co.; Henry H. of Morgan Co., born Aug. 11, 1843; George W. born Sept. 29, 1847, living in Morgan Co.; Annie F. now Mrs. Ketner, of Morgan Co., born July 3, 1849; Clara E. now Mrs. Rector, of Jacksonville, born July 2, 1851, and Silas, of Morgan Co., born May 25, 1855; the homestead consists of about 400 acres, delightfully situated on Mound Ridge.

MASSEY, WM. S., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 25, P.O. Jacksonville, son of H.H. Massey, who settled in this county in 1829, where the subject of this sketch was born Jan. 26, 1840, having grown up as it were with the county, and whose interests are closely identified with its improvements; married Dec. 18, 1862, to Jannette daughter of Jacob and Isabella Tindall, of Morgan Co., born Sept. 19, 1842; six children born of this union, viz.: Maggie Belle, Jan. 1, 1864; Wm. A. Nov. 20, 1866; Mamie F. June 27, 1869; Enos F. March 12, 1872; Horace C. April 6, 1875, and Terah T. Feb. 23, 1878; Mr. Massey has devoted his industries to agricultural pursuits, stock raising and the breeding of horses and mules a specialty.

MASTERS, ROBERT L., farmer and stock-raiser, Sec. 6, P.O. Murrayville. The descent of the Masters family dates back many centuries, and its origin is Anglo-Saxon. The grandsires came from the mother country during the early settlement of Virginia, and afterward settled in Tennessee, from which State the father of Mr. Masters removed at an early day, settling in the south part of Illinois; came here in 1830, when the smoke from the lone log cabin was a godsend to the hardy emigrant whose life was inured to the terrible and harassing dangers to be met with at the time of which we write; the trip was made in a covered wagon, and overland. Having entered on some government land, there first residence was a rough hewn log house, and in this Robert L. often amused himself, as a frame building soon supplanted the primitive architecture of the long ago. Mr. Master' capital was very small, and would not foot up $100, but was blessed with an energy to "win gold and wear it. Robert L. was born March 20, 1854; in youth had a great desire to enrich his mind with the study of books, and many a time "Bob" would become so engrossed in the study an ancient Greek history that the midnight hour would find him reading by the dim light of the flickering taper. He attended Illinois College during the years 1870 and 1871, and was just about to don the worthy "freshman's" cap when business at home interposed her objection, hence did not secure the coveted parchment. Was married to Miss Mary H. Beadles, daughter of Thomas G. and Ellen P. Beadles, at Mexico, Mo., Aug. 13, 1874, by the Rev. Thomas G. Gouch, of the M.E. Church. Continued their wedding tour, visiting the "Gem City," thence to their present home. One little cherub blesses their wedded life, William Thomas, born June 26, 1877. Mr. Masters owns a fine estate of about 300 acres, with all the improvements that good taste could devise; does a large business in the cattle trade, and is a prince of a good fellow.

MATHERS, J. TABOR, grocer and dealer in queensware, glassware, etc. etc. Among the many first-class houses in Jacksonville the above firm takes a leading position. The spirit of enterprise manifested by the late firm of Rutledge & Mathers and now being continued by the latter gentleman, is worthy of more than a passing notice. The erection of their large marble front building on E. State St., two years ago, shows a spirit of enterprise that the wealthy men of Jacksonville would do well to follow, from the fact that not only would it be a benefit to themselves but a source of pride to the community. Two year ago Mr. George Rutledge, a former member, retired from the firm, and since that time the business has been conducted by Mr. Mathers, and that too in a most commendable manner. He carries one of the finest stocks of goods in the city, consisting of staple and fancy groceries, confectionery, provisions, China, glass, queensware, dry goods, boots and shoes, hats, caps, etc. He also has superior advantages in shipping all kinds of produce, provisions, etc., hence farmers always find a ready market at this establishment, and the benefit of the highest prices. Thus, by energy and fair dealing, aided by courteous and experienced clerks, Messrs. Saml. Brockman and George Gilman, who have been in the employ of Mr. Mathers for years. Mr. Mathers has built up an extensive and well merited business. He was born in Morgan Co., educated in Jacksonville; at twenty-five married Miss Annabel English, of Danville. Mrs. M. passed off the stage of life April 27, 1876.

MATTINGLY, SHELTON J., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 9, P.O. Liter, he was born in Washington County, Ky., June 22, 1817; in the Fall of 1824, settled in Morgan County, nine miles north of Jacksonville; Mr. Mattingly has buried three wives, and eight children; he owns a farm of 120 acres.

MAWSON, JOHN R., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 16, P.O. Lynnville; he was born in Scott Co. Ills. Feb. 16, 1843, and was raised in Morgan Co.; he enlisted in Co. K, 27th Illinois Vol. Infantry in 1861 and served three years; was married to Clara Tanksley, April 13, 1869; she was born in Scott Co. Oct. 30, 1848; their children are Franklin L., born Feb. 25th, 1870; Lucy Ann, Sept. 19, 1872; Robert Dayton, March 15, 1875; owns farm of 240 acres.

MCALLISTER, CATHERINE, wid. Robert McAllister, was the daughter of Philip and Sarah Kennedy; was born in Mercer Co., Ky., May, 1815; lived in Kentucky twenty-five years; in 1836, married Robert McAllister; he was a native of Anderson Co., Ky.; in 1840, settled in Morgan Co., Ill., seven miles southeast of Jacksonville; bought property consisting of 72 acres; in time acquired more land; at the time of decease owned 320 acres; he was a very successful farmer, a man of intelligence and rare energy of character; Nov. 20, 1863, he passed peacefully away, and was laid at rest in the Sheppard cemetery. Children living are: Sarah, who married Alban Sheppard; Mary, who became the wife of William Sheppard; Elizabeth, who married the Rev. D. F. Atterbury; Arethusa Jane, wife of C. W. Sheppard; Margaret, who married Levi Grider; Eliza, who married George Self, and Belle, who remains unmarried.

MCALLISTER, ROBERT, farmer, Sec. 34, P.O. Woodson, was the son of James and Mary McAllister. The subject of this sketch was born at Kilrea, County Londonderry, Ireland, Feb. 20, 1842; at nineteen he went to Scotland, and for one year was on the Glasgow police force; in 1864, he emigrated to America, first locating at Cass Co., Ill.; in 1865, went to Nebraska, where he devoted his time to farming two years, but the hard times the grasshopper plague caused coming on, and losing his all, he then went to Jersey City, N.J.; there he married Levana Moon; thence to Jacksonville, Morgan County, where he now resides, working 160 acres; four children: Wm. James, born July 8, 1868; Robert, Sept. 14, 1869; Joseph, Jan. 20, 1870, and passed away July 11, 1873; and Mary Matilda, Aug. 29, 1877, all born in Morgan County.

McAVOY, DANIEL, farmer, Sec. 17, P.O. Woodson. Mr. McAvoy was born in Queens Co., Ireland, April 25, 1823; parents were Michael and Winifred, whose maiden name was McDougal. At an early age he was apprenticed to a stone mason, in which branch of business, after serving his time, he became very successful as a contractor and builder of stone work; in 1847, he came to America on board the steamship Queen of the West; after a short voyage he landed in New York, and became a resident for some time, working as a foreman for contractors on stone work; from New York he wended his way to Morgan County, where since coming, with little exception, he has resided; in 1851, he went to Springfield, Ill., and there took a contract for building an area around the old State House. Mr. M. is said to be one of the most skillful workmen in the country. Of late years he has been a farmer; is the owner of 200 acres; in 1849, he was united in marriage to Miss Ann Johnson; children are: Michael S., William D., Felix, John, Thomas, Julia Ann, Arthur, Andrew, Mary and Simon. Mr. M. was elected county commissioner by a large majority.

McAVOY, WM., farmer, Sec. 9, P.O. Jacksonville, was born in Queens Co., Ireland, in 1818; his father was a man of liberal education and an extensive farmer; in the county mentioned, Mr. M. grew to manhood; at eighteen he entered the Dublin University, and at twenty graduated with high honors, and shortly after emigrated to America; off the coast of Holly Head the vessel was shipwrecked, but was enabled to put into Liverpool for repairs; when in a seaworthy condition she again headed for America, carrying among her other passengers, Wm. McAvoy. Arriving in New York, he became a foreman of the Erie canal; in 1837, he settled in Morgan Co., and became a contractor on stone, having become regularly apprenticed to the stone masonry; in 1846, when the war broke out with Mexico, he enlisted in Co. D, 1st Ill. Vol., Col. J.J. Hardin in command, he remained in the service thirteen months; was engaged in the battle of Buena Vista, and was promoted second sergeant; on his return to Morgan Co., he became again a contractor; he was a very superior workman and erected many of the finest buildings in Morgan Co.; he is a fine temperance speaker, and during the late war rendered efficient service.

MCCASLAND, WM. A., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 22, P.O. Waverly. Mr. M., was the third child of Jas. H. and Jane McCasland, natives of Virginia, and South Carolina respectively, who settled in Indiana, in an early day, where Wm. Was born in 1833; in 1839 the family departed from the Hoosier State, wended their way to Illinois; in Greene County they remained a short time, and then moved near the city of Jacksonville; in after years, settled on a farm near Waverly; during this early settling, Mr. McCasland roughed int in common with his neighbors; hogs were then sold at one dollar per hundred, other things in proportion, which brought on considerable distress among the pioneers; in time however, the log cabin gave place to more comfortable buildings. The old people lived for many years near Waverly, where they passed the remainder of their lives; they left six children: Sarah, who married Frank Collins, who died in the service of the U.S.; Mrs. Collins afterward married Mr. Graves, and now resides in Missouri; John M. married Miss Mary Collins, resides in Murrayville, in Morgan County; William, who heads this sketch, married Miss Oretta Pemberton, of Oldham County, Kentucky, Jan. 17, 1858; they have eight children: Rosa, Ida, Edith, Anna, Josephine; when the war of the rebellion came on, Mr. Mc enlisted in the 38th Illinois Volunteers, Co. A, at Springfield; it will be remembered, this regiment became engaged in many important battles of the war, and accordingly, the subject of this notice became actively engaged at Stone River, Chickamauga, Perryville, and Corinth; when the war was drawing to a close, and Sherman had driven Johnson into Georgia, the regiment remained under fire some four months; Mr. M. was also engaged in battles of Buzzard Roost, Snake Creek Gap, Resaca, Marietta, Bald Knob, and other smaller engagements; he was honorably discharged at Huntsville, Alabama, Feb. 7, 1865; two years later he returned to Morgan County, here he now resides, owning one hundred and twenty acres of well improved land; Thomas, a brother of Mr. McCasland, was killed at Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

MCCAULIFF, ALEXANDER, engineer, Meredosia; dem; Cath; born in the city of New York, Jan. 14, 1855; came to this county with his parents in 1873, who were born in Ireland; he has three brothers and five sisters living.

MCCORMICK, JAMES, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 15, P.O. Waverly. Was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, on the 15th of April, 1852; when James was eight years of age, his parents, then engaged in farming, set out for the West, and first settled at Galesburg, Knox County; there purchased 80 acres; the year 1865 found the family residents of old Morgan; settling three miles south of the town of Franklin, on a farm of 80 acres; he afterward removed to a farm near Springfield, Illinois, where he now resides; James, who heads this sketch, received his preliminary education at a district school, he after ward finished his education at the high school of Waverly; March 1, 1874, he married to Miss Sarah Beckhold; two children: William, born June 3, 1875; Bertha, Aug. 22, 1877.

MCCORMICK, JAMES R., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 35, P.O. Waverly. In 1834, when the long lines of emigrant trains dotted the prairie, John McCormick, the father of the subject of this sketch, left his home in Kentucky, and moved to Illinois. He was born in 1829, Miss Jane W. Lockridge; shortly after settled in Morgan Co., Ill., near what is known as Long Point. In Kentucky Mr. M. had been a surveyor, and in Illinois he pursued for a time the same calling; being a man of learning, he was held in high esteem by his neighbors. His brother, Samuel McCormick, was one of the first settlers in Cincinnati, Ohio, and there purchased a large tract of land; owing to the rise in real estate, he became very wealthy, and died a few years ago a millionaire. Three years after his settlement, James R. McCormick died; he left a family of six children: Elizabeth, Catherine, Nancy, Mary, John A., who enlisted on the breaking out of the war, and was killed in battle, and James R., who heads this sketch, who was born in Kentucky in 1830. The care of the family devolving upon him after the decease of his father, he perhaps saw the rough side of life more than was even common with the pioneer boy. Mr. McCormick well remembers when biscuit would be eaten but once a week - on Sunday; the meal over, the next Sunday was anxiously looked forward to. James became the owner of the old homestead; in 1864 he married Miss Sarah Smith, a daughter of Orrin Smith, one of the first settlers of Little York. Mr. McCormick at one time owned 320 acres; now owns 180. Six children, five living: May, Edward, Orin, Ralph, and an infant child.

McCOULLOUGH S.P. & CO., millers, Franklin; as far back as 1849, J.D. & S.P. McCoullough entered into a co-partnership business under the firm name of J.D. McCoullough & Bros.; since the organization of the above firm there have been considerable changes; some four years ago J.D. McCoullough, brother and member of the firm at the beginning, departed this life, and the firm name then became S.P. McCoullough & Co.; for twenty-five years M. Bros. were associated in business, and during that time gained an enviable reputation as business men; the mill has a capacity of turning out fifty barrels of flour per day; in addition to the grist mill, a saw mill is attached, fitted with the latest style of machinery; S.P. McCoullough, the surviving member, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, Feb. 6, 1824; was the fourth child of John and Harriet, who settled in Morgan County, in 1837; here he grew up, receiving a district school education; he first became a farmer, but early became identified in the milling business; was married in 1860; in 1869, elected town treasurer, which position he still holds; two children: Edgar W., and Freddie L.

MCCURLEY, EZEKIEL, Farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 19, P.O. Youngblood. Mr. McCurley, who, for half a century, has been a living witness of the vast improvements that have taken place in Morgan County, was the second son of Joseph and Rebecca McCurley, who removed from Alabama to Morgan County, during the Autumn of 1828, and settled in what is now called Youngblood prairie; a hard worker, a true type of the western pioneer, he passed the remainder of his life in Morgan County, dying the winter of 1843; his wife, who had shared with her husband many years of prosperity and hardship, survived him some fifteen years. Ezekiel, whose name appears at the top of this sketch, was born in Kentucky, March, 1808; relating to the writer scenes of long ago, Mr. McC. States that four miles from where he lived in those days, when wheat bread was a rarity, was a horse mill, where he would patiently await his turn to have his grist ground; in his twentieth year he married Miss Jane Criswell, a daughter of Samuel Criswell; some three years later Mr. McC. Entered land from the government; having no capital, he was compelled to borrow money at 30 per cent. Interest; corn then brought but 8 and 10 cents per bushel, wheat 30 cents, and other things in proportion; the crops worth so little, however, grew abundantly, and with little effort compared with the present day; eleven children born of this marriage, seven living: Samuel, of whom mention is made elsewhere, and William, who married Miss Abitha Davis, of Morgan County, in 1856, has always been a resident of this county; born April 17, 1838; he was educated in subscription schools, and has raised ten children, seven living: Amanda J., Alice, Lewella, John H., Ezekiel H., Mary E., and Ruby E. Mr. M. owns 920 acres of land. Beside Samuel and William, Julia Ann, who married John C. Speres; Emeline, who married Jarrett Seymour; Margaret, who married David Henry; Susan, who married Geo. Henry, and Elizabeth, unmarried.

MCCURLEY, SAMUEL, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 30, P.O. Youngblood, son of Ezekiel McCurley and Jane Criswell, natives of Tennessee, was born Sept. 3, 1829, in the Seymour settlement, this county. The McCurleys are contemporary settlers of 13-9, with the Seymours and Wyatts, their pioneer days dating back to 1827; at the age of nine little Sam first made his debut as a scholar in the "log school house;" not a free school, but a "pay school." The furniture of the school consisted of two slabs of wood, and to allow the light into its precincts, the door had to be left open; hence Sam's education has none of the classics, nor does he aspire to the prominence of a Virgil. Having endured the hardships incident to a boy born in the primitive days of our history, at the early age of twenty-five years, married Miss Elizabeth Seymour, daughter of James P. Seymour; the ceremony was performed by Rev. William Evans, a minister of the M.E. Church; had by this union Susan, born Oct. 15, 1855; James B., born Nov. 22, 1856; in six days after the birth of the last named child, Mrs. McCurley passed form earth to heaven. Mr. McCurley was married again April 17, 1858; has had by this marriage Nancy J., born May 20, 1850; Lavinia A., Feb. 6, 1862; Mary E. born Dec. 16, 1863, and died Feb. 23, 1869; George, born Feb. 22, 1866, died Nov. 7, 1866; Julia A., Aug. 21, 1867; Mary C., Oct. 12, 1869; William E., Nov. 26, 1873; Agnes, Sept. 9, 1876. These good parents are devoted Christians, and are zealous members of the Baptist church; love their God and their fellow man; own a fine farm of 130 acres of good land, and are universally respected.

McDONALD, A.N., insurance agent and notary public W. State w Square, r 409 E. State. Was born in Dundee, Scotland, in 1823; came to this country in 1835, and went to farming about three years, then came to Jacksonville and opened a dry goods store, in connection with which he represented several insurance companies; after remaining in the dry goods business ten years, he sold out, and continued in the insurance business, locating in his present office. Mr. McD. is the oldest insurance agent in the city. Was married to Miss Julia S. March, in 1854, and has a family of three boys and three girls.

McFALLS, JAMES, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 20, P.O. Youngblood, oldest son of Brunell and Jane McFalls, natives of Morgan County, where the subject of this sketch was born, in 1851; for five years he hired out by the month for neighboring farmers; unlike most young men, he saved what he earned, and now, although quite young, owns 80 acres of land; very few at his age have succeeded as well in life; in 1874, he married Mrs. Sarah Jane McCurley, daughter of Hardin Edwards, and relict of Jas. F. McCurley; by this marriage one child, Jane, born Sept. 1876; by her first marriage Mrs. McF. had three children: Ettie, Ida, and Willie, the only one living.

McGINNIS, DAVID L., druggist, Meredosia. Born in Jacksonville, Ill, July 1, 1851, came to this town March 15, 1876; married Miss Mary Gough, Nov. 11, 1873. who was born in Northampton, Mass., March 17, 1855; have one child: Mabel born Sept. 7, 1875.

McGINNIS, JAMES, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 6, P.O. Pisgah. James is the youngest of the family of seven children; his father was a farmer in the county of Clare, Ireland, where the subject of this sketch was born, in 1829; in 1853, he emigrated to America; after a short residence in New York, thence to Jacksonville, Ill., and there first worked by the month, for Colonel Dunlap and others; in 1857, he married Miss Johannah Leahy, daughter of Thomas and Catherine Leahy; by great energy and economy he accumulated fine property; when the war came on, he did his part financially; owns 250 acres of well improved land; eleven children, nine of whom are living: Michael, Thomas, James, Cornelius, John, Mary K., Margaret, Anna, and Johannah.

McMILLAN, JAMES T., lawyer and real estate dealer, ws Square, over Hatch's drug store, r State opp Blind Asylum. Was born Jan. 27, 1840, in Berlin, Sangamon County, came to Morgan county in 1853, and to Jacksonville in 1860. Graduated at New York University in 1864, studied medicine at Albany Medical College, and one term at Michigan University, also studied law at the latter place, and was admitted to practice at the bar; he then came to this city.

McMILLAN, WM. H. (deceased). It is at times a difficult task to follow the ever varying incidents connected with the fortunes and privations of the early pioneer, and is, perhaps, specially so in the case of Mr. McMillan, as many incidents of the struggles and hardships have long since been forgotten; was born in Scott Co., Ky., Nov. 9, 1807; his father, by trade, was a carpenter, who followed, in connection, the life of a farmer, up to the time of his removal to Illinois, which event occurred in the Fall of 1833; then, accompanied by his mother, made the overland trip in a six-horse covered wagon, then the only mode of transit, located in Sangamon Co., there rented land for one year; a purchase of land was finally effected, and the building of a log house was but the work of a short time, when the family were permanently located, and the date of his nuptials date 1837, and the woman of his choice, Miss Lucinda Gallagher, daughter of Thos. Gallagher, a native of Tennessee; like all pioneers, many years in his life were years of hardships and privations; emigration, however, settling in rapidly westward, enhanced the value of farm property, and as the time drifted into the hidden past, and framed dwellings and churches, the harbingers of civilization, were built, they began to live more comfortably. Dec. 21, 1846, Mrs. McMillan died, and two years later he was married again, to Miss Sarah Gallagher, sister to his first wife. Mr. McMillan was a very industrious man, working with a sturdy independence that surmounted every obstacle; from the small acreage came an estate of 800 acres, which, on his decease, was divided among the surviving members of his family. By his first wife had five children: William, James, John, Sarah E., an infant child died soon after birth. William is now a resident of Iowa, James T. now attorney at Jacksonville, John a resident of Sangamon Co., Sarah E. deceased. By his second union: Thomas, who is living on the old homestead, where he owns 165 acres, and the old farm residence. June, 1877, married Miss Margaret C. Cleary, daughter of William C. Cleary, who was born in Morgan Co.; has by this marriage one child: Mary. Mrs. McMillan, relict of W.H., still lives to recount the many changes in the great west since the year 1833, the early date of her coming here.

McNEAL, JOHN, farmer, Sec. 7, P.O. Jacksonville; born in Alabama, 1854; came to Morgan Co. in the Fall of 1865; is living with his mother; has four brothers, James, Anderson, Augustus, and Henry; Henry and James are living in Texas.

MCVEY, R. E., physician and surgeon west side Square, Waverly, was born in Madison County, Ill., Nov. 19, 1828; in 1852 was married to Margaret J. Hutchison, of Waverly, Morgan Co., Ill., who died of bilious fever the following June; was married again Dec. 28, 1854, to Miss Nancy Harris of Sangamon Co., Ill., when they moved to Girard, Macoupin Co., where he was connected with a steam flouring mill. Here the first child, Mary M. was born Jan. 11, 1856, and died Feb. 10 the same year. In the Spring of 1857 moved to Nilwood, Ill., where he was engaged in mercantile pursuits and in the study of medicine, and there the second child, Virginia A. was born Aug. 5, 1857, and died Sept. 20, 1858. In 1859, removed to Waverly, where he still resides, and continued the study of medicine; graduated at Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill., in 1861. Since his residence in Waverly four children have been born: the oldest of whom, Carrie was born Nov. 23, 1861; the next, William Edley, June 30, 1864, and the youngest are twins, Nellie and Nannie, Sept. 3, 1874. Dr. McVey is a member of the Morgan County Medical Society. Illinois State Medical Association. Dr. McVey is engaged in general practice, and makes nervous diseases a specialty, and is now prepared to treat all forms of nervous trouble by the most recent appliances in the way of electricity and electric baths; and is also prepared for the treatment of diseases by electro surgery.

MEACHAM, E.D. farmer and stockraiser, P.O. Waverly. Mr. Meacham was born in North Carolina, Feb. 4, 1805. When but a year old his parents moved to Kentucky, and settled on farm property; in 1830 the Meacham family emigrated to Illinois, and settled in Sangamon Co., as their names appear in the historical portion of this volume. We here append a biographical sketch of E.D. Meacham, whose name stands at the top. He married in Kentucky Mrs. Nancy Cavanah in 1825; in Sangamon Co. Mr. M. farmed it for many years, where his first wife died; six children were born of this marriage: Martha, W.E. (whose biographical sketch appears elsewhere); Margaret, deceased, C.F., who transacts the business of a horse farrier at Waverly; Adeline W. and Lucinda, Nov. 12, 1854. Mr. Meacham was united in marriage to Miss Margaret McCormick; nine children born of this marriage, all of whom are living: E.D. jr., Isabel, Henry C., Annis, Ella, George G., Jos. H., Abraham L., and Katy. In 1854, Mr. M. moved to Waverly, where he became a merchant until the close of the war. In 1856 he purchased part of the property he now owns. Mr. M. is one of our most public spirited citizens.

MEACHAM, WILLIS E. Farmer and stock-raiser. The subject of this sketch is a native of Christian Co., Kentucky; he was born October, 1828; second child of E.D. and Nancy Meacham; when but three years of age his parents moved to Sangamon Co., Ill. Willis became a resident of Morgan Co. in 1858, and engaged in the hardware trade for some four years. He married in Sangamon Co. Miss Rachel Hudson, a daughter of John and Margaret Hudson, natives of Virginia; by this marriage three children were born, two of whom are now living; Adeline, born 1857; Ellen, born 1859; died in early infancy, Margaret, born May, 1862. When the war of the rebellion came on Mr. Meacham was elected First Lieutenant, Co. G, One Hundred and First Ill. Inf., leaving for the front; on arriving at Holly Springs he was elected Captain, a position in which he won the esteem of the soldiers and was well qualified to fill. Battles participated in: Dallas, Resaca, Peachtree Creek, Mission Ridge, etc. He was honorably discharged at Robertsville, S.C., February, 1865; he returned to Morgan Co., where he has since followed farming; one of our most substantial citizens. For many years he has since followed farming; one of our most substantial citizens. For many years he was President of the Board of Trustees before the present city administration of Waverly, and at the last April election was elected to serve as alderman. Mr. Meacham owns 80 acres of land, part of which lies in the city limits, a valuable property.

MEGGINSON, PETER D. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 3, P.O. Lynnville; born in Morgan Co., Ill. Jan. 5, 1843; his father, Ralph Megginson, was born in Yorkshire, England, and settled in Morgan Co. in 1832; Peter was married to Sarah C. Middleton, Nov. 11, 1869; she was born in Yorkshire, England, Nov. 11, 1844; their children are, Mary Jane, born Aug. 23, 1870; Leonard Barton, April 25, 1872; Alfred, July 8, 1876.

MELLOR, WILLIAM, farmer, Sec. 14, P.O. Murrayville, son of George Mellor, native of Lancashire, England; in 1855, the father of the subject of this notice, with his wife and one boy, William, emigrated from the land of "Merrie England," landing, after a perilous voyage on a sailing vessel, at New York City, thence by railroad to Greene County, where the little family changed their life from factory operatives to a more independent life, that of farming. Mr. George Mellor's occupation in Lancashire, was that of an "overlooker" in a cotton factory. After a residence in Greene County of one year, moved, and identified their interests with the people of Morgan County, settling in Sec. 14, purchased land, and at once turned their attention to its improvement. The gentleman whose name stands at the head of this sketch, was born in Lancashire, England; during the early years of his life was a cotton weaver; he accompanied his parents to this great republic, and became one of her citizens; was married July 19th, 1860, to Miss Adeline Thompson, daughter of Hon. John Thompson, by Rev. Allen Murray; the fruits of this union were nine children: George, born June 8, 1861, Louisa Anne, born March 25, 1863, died August 3, 1864; John, born October 5, 1865, Robert, born November 25, 1867, Alice Melinda, born December 2, 1868, died September 30, 1869; Elizabeth, born March 27th, 1871, Emma, born April 3, 1873, William born April 5, 1875, and Mary, born August 3, 1877; after his marriage moved near the home of his wife, in Greene County, lived there until 1878, when he purchased a neat little farm, where he now resides, and is an economical industrious citizen. The father of Mrs. Mellor, during his honored life, occupied every office of trust in the gift of Greene County, died May 8, 1866, aged 72 years, was one of the first who settled in Greene County more than half a century ago.

MEREDITH, JOHN, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 29, P.O. Pisgah. The subject of this sketch was born in Stewart County, Middle Tennessee, on the 26th of January, 1845; shortly before this date his father died; at the breaking out of the rebellion, being then only fifteen years of age, but thoroughly imbued with the war spirit, he enlisted in Co. A, 6th Regt. Missouri Infantry, for three years' service; mustered in at Jefferson Barracks, Mo.; he shortly after went to the front; from the time Sherman took command at Pittsburg Landing, until he reached the sea shore, Mr. Meredith served under him; became a participant in the siege of Vicksburg, siege of Atlanta, Arkansas Post, Black Bayou, Chattanooga, Dallas, Resaca, Dalton, and Many other engagements of the war; during the Autumn of 1863, he became a scout under General John A. Logan, but during a regular engagement he became employed as a messenger; at Resaca he received a wound in the head, and on a scouting expedition was wounded in the arm; for three months after the main army disbanded he served as a soldier at Little Rock, Arkansas, where he was honorable discharged, in the latter part of October, 1865; for some time after he wandered through the Southern States; before the war he had visited Illinois; in 1870, he became a permanent resident; in 1872, he married Mrs. Hannah Dunston, daughter of Jesse Jones, of Morgan County; two children: Freddie, and Alonzo; by first marriage three children: Geo. W., Elizabeth, and Esther H.

MICHENER, WILSON, commission merchant, Waverly, was born in Chester Co., Pa., March 23, 1812; came to Morgan Co. May 1, 1835, and settled in Jacksonville, and engaged in the business of chair-making. The first cane-seat chairs made in Morgan Co. were made by Mr. Michener. He sold them to Col. Jas. Dunlap, of Jacksonville; left Jacksonville in 1848, and went to different places, and in the Spring of 1857 engaged in farming, and continued at it until 1869, when he moved to Waverly Township. Mr. Michener is now living with his fourth wife, formerly Mrs. Eliza Jane Sevier, whom he married Oct. 1871; has four children living; Mary E. Lanuma, Thomas S. and Catherine J.; belongs to the Christian Church, and is a life-long democrat.

MIDDLETON, HILTON, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 10, P.O. Lynnville; he was born in Yorkshire, England, Nov. 3, 1838, and came to America in 1848, and settled in Morgan County the same year, with his father Hodgson Middleton; he was born in Durham, England, Jan. 27, 1806; he married Jane Bolan, Dec. 28, 1836; she was born in Yorkshire, England, July 22, 1807; he died July 30, 1876, and his wife died Feb. 24, 1875; Hilton was married to Maggie H. Allan, Dec. 16, 1875; she was born Jan. 20, 1853; one child, Clara Jane, born Dec. 17, 1876; owns farm of 277 acres.

MILLER, CHARLES, was born in Morgan Co., Dec. 1853, and married, in his 20th year, Miss Arcissa Ashbaugh, daughter of Christopher and Elizabeth, who were among the first to settle in Morgan Co. By the marriage of Mr. Miller to Miss Ashbaugh, two children, Albert, born Oct., 1875, and Sadie, born Jan. 1878. Mr. Miller owns 80 acres.

MILLER, G.W., physician and surgeon, Woodson, son of Robert and Magdalen, natives of Virginia. Dr. Miller was born in St. Charles, Mo., May 11, 1842; parents moved to Missouri as early as 1823. In Missouri young Miller passed his early years; preliminary education received in public schools of Missouri; in 1865, he attended the Illinois College, situated at Jacksonville; remained there taking a scientific course three years, thence to Missouri again; studied medicine under Dr. Rodgers, of St. Charles; graduated from Missouri Medical College in 1871; returned to Morgan Co., and began the practice of medicine; since that period has had a large practice in Morgan Co.; is a skillful physician; the same year he graduated he married Miss Lucy H. Galbraith, at Jacksonville; children: Edith and Ernest.

MILLER, JOHN M. deceased, a successful farmer many years in Morgan Co., and who is well remembered by early residents; was born near Albany, N.Y., in 1828; on the farm of his father were spent his youthful days, arriving at manhood, he made his way to Illinois, and located in the vicinity of Waverly, where he embarked in the marble business, that of tomb stones. A man of enterprise, he attended to his own sales, his business calling him into many different counties, where he formed the acquaintance of men who were afterwards prominent in the affairs of the State. In this business, he made a start in life, where many would have failed; in 1858, he retired from this to his farm, situated south of Waverly, where he displayed his usual energy, purchasing farm property from time to time. On his decease, which occurred in 1870, he left an estate of 230 acres. The wife, who helped very much toward the prosperity of her husband, still survives him, living on the old homestead; there are four children, William, Edward, John, and Charles.

MILLS, JOHN, farmer, Sec. 27, P.O. Jacksonville; born in Rochdale, Lancashire, England, Oct. 9, 1837; was married to Anna Pond, in 1860; she was born June 15, 1837, and died Sept. 21, 1861; he emigrated to America in 1863, and first settled in Philadelphia; from 1864 to 1867, was engaged in the Quartermaster's Department, at Nashville, Tenn., and then returned to Philadelphia; in 1871, settled in Chicago, and lived there till 1875, when he came to Morgan County; he has been living in this county ever since.

MINER, G.A. farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 30, P.O. Waverly. Mr. Miner was born in Morgan Co., March 11, 1839, only child of James and Delilah, whose maiden name was Corey; natives of New York State, they removed to Morgan Co. when it was in a primitive state, and lived the life of the pioneer, and formed the acquaintance of such men as Newton Cloud, W. T. Givens, and others well known in the annals of this county. When the subject of our notice was quite small, his father died, his mother afterwards marrying Norman Ward, and on his decease married Lemuel P. Curry, and now resides in Bureau Co., Ill. George grew to manhood in Morgan Co., where he married Miss Elizabeth Dennis, daughter of Jas. M. Dennis. Eleven children, nine living: Edward E., Thos. M., Albert F., Sarah L., Emma J., Ida B., Effie M., Minnie B., and Daisy. Mr. Miner owns 61 acres.

MINTER M. & J. N., Main n Square mnfrs. of fine boots, shoes and slippers. The amount of work done by this firm, exceeds that of any other similar establishment in the city from the fact that they turn out only first-class work from the best material. Mr. M. Minter has had an experience of over fifteen years in this branch of trade, which fact alone is sufficient guarantee for the truthfulness of the above assertion. Mr. J. M. enlisted the 1st Ill. Light Artillery, Battery F, in July, 62, and served until mustered out at the closing of the war. When he came home he went to farming and remained at that till August, 1877, when the above firm was organized.

MOORE, ENSLEY, journalist, r. W. State, was born in Springfield, April 16th, 1846; lived ten years in Perry, Pike Co., till July, 1875, when he came to Jacksonville. Was graduated from Illinois College in 1868, employed as city editor upon the Daily Journal in 1869, and as assistant editor of the Jacksonville Independent in 1869-70. In 1870, formed a co-partnership, in book-binding, with E. Moeller, under firm name of Moeller & Moore, and dissolved partnership in 1871, was elected alderman from the 2nd Ward of the city of Jacksonville in 1874, was married Oct. 22d, 1873, to Miss Clara, daughter of the late Rev. G.T. King, D.D., of Jerseyville, Ill.

MORLAND, JAMES A. farmer and minister of the Gospel, Sec. 30, P.O. Youngblood. According to authentic records, the genealogy of the Morlands is of Scotch-Irish descent, and the grandsire of Mr. Morland was a native of Pennsylvania; he moved, at a remote period of our history, to the State of Ohio, and there repose his remains in the silent grave. The father of the gentleman whose history we write, was born in Pennsylvania, and moved, with his parents, to Ohio, sharing the hardships incident to the early settlement of the Northwestern States; he died in Columbiana County, Ohio, aged 42 years. The good wife and mother survived her husband a good many years, and at her death, was 77 years old; her maiden name was Emily Armstrong, daughter of James Armstrong, of Quaker antecedents. Our subject was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, August 28, 1817; in his early youth went to the rude log school house, and for a limited period applied his faculties to the study of the "United States" spelling book; arriving at his majority, was wedded to Miss Nancy Vanmeter, daughter of Jesse Vanmeter, J.P., on September 5, 1838, by the bride's father; they have had two children: Mary Anne, and an infant daughter died in infancy; Mary Anne married Samuel McCurley. In 1839, in company with James McNeely, packed their little goods in a covered wagon, and moved to the rich prairies of Illinois; settling in Wayne County, lived there seven years; during his residence in Wayne County, his cherished wife died; her demise occurred in 1840; during her life she was a kind wife and mother, and a zealous Christian woman, being long a member of the Christian Church; was married again November 7, 1840, to Mrs. Mary Anne Green, daughter of Robert M. Petty, by Rev. Isaac Whittaker. The father of Mrs. Morland, Mr. Robert M. Petty, throughout the years of his life, was an honored Schoolmaster. Mr. Morland's health failing, was ordered by his physician to return to his native State, which he did in 1847, and in 1848 was elected constable of Columbiana County, Ohio; was re-elected four times; having regained his health, in 1853, moved back to the Prairie State, settling in Hart's Prairie; lived there a short time, when he moved, and rented a farm on Apple Creek, of Dr. John Caldwell; cultivated that farm two years, at the end of that time bought a tract of 80 acres of land in Sec. 30, where he now resides; their first house on this land was a rough log cabin, with a clapboard roof and puncheon floor, as his means became better, he bought small tracts of land, until now his worldly domain embraces a fine farm of 477 acres of land, with all the neat improvements of our modern times. Mr. Morland, feeling the need of education, applied his faculties to the study of both modern and ancient history, and has, in the years of his life, made a successful digest of the books of the Bible; was ordained a minister of the United Baptist Church in "Youngblood" December 22, 1860; was elected to the office of magistrate in 1873, by an over-whelming majority and served in that capacity until 1877, when he resigned and rented his farm, and moved to Scottville, Macoupin County, and there bought some good town property. "Uncle Jimmy" being well respected in his new home, was elected to the office of magistrate, but having exchanged his town property for a farm of 120 acres in Morgan County, did not qualify; returned to the old homestead in the Spring of 1878, and commenced anew the life of a farmer; served as supervisor of roads one year, and as school director six years. Mr. and Mrs. Morland are philanthropists on broad principles, and respected by all who know them.

MORRIS, J. W., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 25, P.O. Waverly; the oldest of a family of seven children; he was born in Maryland, June 4, 1842; in early infancy his father died, and thus thrown on his own resources, at the age of twelve, he removed to the State of Delaware, where he worked for farmers, until the breaking out of the rebellion, then in his eighteenth year, he enlisted, in Co. A, First Delaware Cavalry, and also served eight months in the Infantry service; for three years he followed the fortunes of war; during which time he took part in the battles of Antietam, Wilderness, Coal Harbor, Bombardment of Petersburgh, and many others; honorably discharged; he returned to Delaware, and became employed on the Phil., Wil. & Balt. R.R.; in 1868 he became a resident of Scott County, where he married Miss Lizzie Haskell, a daughter of Benjamin Haskill; they were married in September, 1872. Lately have taken up their abode in old Morgan; three children: Bertrand, Bertha, and Vincent.

MORRISSEY, PATRICK, lab. Sec. 28, P.O. Jacksonville; born in Ireland Feb. 1, 1848; came to this country in 1863 landing in New York; from there he went to Hampshire Co., Massachusetts, where he engaged in the occupation of a farmer, and remained there until April 1876, when he removed to Morgan Co., Massachusetts, July 29, 1869, to Alice, daughter of Michael and Mary Keith, born in Ireland in 1848; this union has been blessed by four children; Mary, Oct. 31, 1870; Michael, March 26, 1873; Thomas, Jan. 5, 1876, and Ella, March 23, 1878.

MORSE, CHARLES M., r 815 W. State, Division Superintendent Chicago & Alton R.R. Was born in Wilton, Me. July 21, 1820. In Wilton he held the office of Town Clerk for several years, when he was chosen a representative in the State Legislature. In 1850 he entered the Treasurer's office of the Main Central (then the A. & K.) Railroad Co. and was connected with that corporation for over fifteen years. In 1866 he became Superintendent of the St. Louis, Jacksonville & Chicago R. R., and in 1868, when that line was leased to the Chicago & Alton R.R. Co., he was appointed to the position he now holds, superintendent of a Division, embracing one hundred and ninety miles of railroad. As a railway manager, he is one of the most successful in the country.

MORTON, JOSEPH, COL., born Aug. 1801; fifth child of Robert and Sarah Morton, who with their family moved to North Carolina in 1806; the father's ancestors English, and mother's German; her maiden name Sarah Sorrens; in 1811 the family moved to Bledsoe Co., Tenn., where the elder Morton died same year; four years after Mrs. M. married Jonathan Kirby; they soon after moved to Adair Co., Ky., where in 1825 Mr. K. died; Mrs. K. with two children by Mr. Kirby, and her son Wm. came to Morgan Co., 1828, and four years after passed off the stage of life. Col. M. received most of his education in Madison Co., Ill., having located March, 1819, four miles from Alton; in 1820, in company with John Bradshaw, he came and built a cabin on land near present site of Jacksonville, previous to government survey; April 27, 1823, married Mary, daughter of Daniel Odell; after marriage Mr. M. settled on land near Jacksonville East; became very successful; capital, willing hands and great energy; one of the few pioneers living who remember the site of the present city of Jacksonville when it was unimproved by the hand of man; he assisted in building many of the first log cabins; Mr. M. as before stated is a man or rare energy, and who overcomes all difficulties by hard work; Col. M. by first wife had thirteen children, all of whom have passed off the stage of life, except three; those living, Minerva, wife of James S. Rector; Clarinda M., now the wife of Samuel T. Crawley, and Francis M. the youngest and only son living on the old homestead; Col. M.'s first wife died in 1813; again married to Eliza Bradshaw, daughter of John Bradshaw, heretofore mentioned; in 1836, Mr. M. was elected to the State Legislature; in 1846 again elected; in 1854 elected to State Senate which held a session to revise State Constitution; elected 1861 to State Convention; Mr. M. has been very wealthy; through misfortune has lost his property; he is a truly Christian man, and as a strictly honorable man has the respect of all.

MOSS, BENJAMIN F. merchant, P.O. Concord, born in Bedford Co., Tennessee, Jan. 13, 1822; married Oct. 12, 1848, to Miss Martha A. Martin, born in Woodford Co., Kentucky, March 13, 1829; had three children: Francis Adrian, born March 7, 1850, died April 14, 1850; Oscar, May 20, 1851, died Aug. 9, 1858; Edward R., Aug. 9, 1861, died Aug. 25, 1864. He came to this county in November 1827; went to Platt Co., Missouri, about 1840, prospecting and farming for three years; came back here in 1843, farming with his father till 1848, then went to Peoria, learning the carpenter trade, which he followed two years; then moved to Farmington, engaged in the "endless pump and chain" business. In 1858, he moved back to concord, and in 1860 moved to Meredosia; in 1862 he again came back here; Aug. 22, of that year he enlisted in the 101st Ill. Regt. Co. B. He was captured, with part of his regiment, at Holly Springs, Miss., Dec. 20; paroled and sent to Benton Barracks and exchanged June 20, 1863, rejoined his regiment and skirmishing in Western Tennessee and Kentucky, thence to Bridgeport, Ala., Chattanooga, and participated in the battle of Mission Ridge, under Gen. Howard; thence to Knoxville, Chattanooga, wintering at Bridgeport, Ala. Broke camp May 2, 1864, to Chattanooga, and from there started on the "march through Georgia". His regiment was in the Twentieth Corps, under Hooker; was in the battles of Resaca, Burnt Hickory, and Peach Tree Creek. Was wounded July 25, 1864, in the second line of works before Atlanta, losing his leg, which was amputated at the hospital at Nashville; then came back to Concord, engaging in the mercantile business. His wife was appointed postmistress in April, 1867, he acting as deputy, and attending to all the duties of the office. He was elected justice of the peace in November, 1865, immediately after his return from the war, serving two terms, after which he declined the nomination. He entered in his company a private in the ranks, and was promoted corporal; he was discharged June 27, 1865.

MOSS, JOHN B. farmer, Sec. 26, P.O. Jacksonville, born in Bedford Co., W. Tennessee, July 16, 1816, married April 11, 1839, to Miss Elizabeth Standley, born in West Tennessee, June 29, 1820; has had nine children: Sarah, born Jan. 14, 1840, now Mrs. I. N. Smith; Mary Ann, Oct. 9, 1841; Robert, March 4, 1844; Richard F., Dec. 29, 1846; Thomas Jefferson, June 18, 1849; Elizabeth Jane, Oct. 11, 1851, now Mrs. Joseph Hoff; Edgar, Sept. 11, 1854, died May 1860; John Anderson, July 23, 1857; William Oliver, Dec. 22, 1862. He was raised in Tennessee; came to Morgan Co. November, 1827. His wife's parents came here in 1821, making them the oldest settlers in this township. He served two terms as school director in District No. 5, and supervisor of roads two terms. He has always been a democrat, but at present indorses the greenback party. His father was born in South Carolina in 1794, and served in the war of 1812.

MOXON, JOHN (deceased), who was for many years a farmer and stock raiser in Morgan Co., was born in Cambridgeshire, England, March 25, 1824, and there, from the time he was old enough, followed the pursuits of agriculture. At twenty-two he married Miss Mary Nicholas. In 1851, to better his fortunes, he emigrated to America; landing in the city of New Orleans after a long voyage; after a voyage up the Mississipi River, they arrived at Alton, Ill., where they found the river frozen, and accordingly made their may into Morgan Co. by wagon. Settling near what is now known as Alexander, for three years Mr. Moxon rented property of John T. Alexander, the famous stock man; at the end of this time, he concluded to go it on his own hook; bought 80 acres, part of the property known as the Moxon estate; here he labored for many a year, his efforts being eventually crowned with success. Aug. 20, 1862, he departed this life, leaving to the care of a devoted wife five children, all of whom are living: Maria, Mary Jane, Isaac N., Elizabeth Ann, and John Phillip. The estate now comprises 180 acres, due to the untiring efforts of Mrs. M.

MUNTMAN, JOHN FREDERICK, farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 19, P.O. Meredosia; Rep.; Lib.; born in Hanover, Germany, May 15, 1828; left Germany at the age of thirteen years, Oct. 10, 1841. From New Orleans, by Mississippi steamer, he came to Beardstown; then worked for Mr. Aaron Parker in this county for $8 a month seven years. Then rented 30 acres from Mr. S. Parker; purchased 40 acres in 1861, and bought land from time to time, now owns 165 acres, value about $35 per acre; his farm and house are excellent. Married Nov. 23, 1852, Elizabeth Moore, born in Cass Co., Ill., Dec., 11, 1836; her father, Reuben Moore, was one of the oldest settlers in Cass Co., he died in 1838; her mother's maiden name was Elizabeth Lake; she was born in Indiana. Mr. Muntman's mother is living in Belleville, St. Clair Co., Ill., aged seventy-eight years, she was born in Nov. 1799, maiden name Annie Marie Tieman. Mr. and Mrs. Muntman have six children: Sarah E. Ellen, born Aug. 17, 1854; William Albert, March 1, 1857; Anna Marie, April 7, 1861; Levi Thomas, May 19, 1867; John Frederick, May 4, 1869; Charles Henry, Dec. 19, 1872.

MYERS, FERDINAND, farmer, Sec. 26, P.O. Jacksonville, was born in Baden, Germany, Jan. 26, 1841. His parents left Germany in 1853, and came to this county in 1856. Was married Sept. 26, 1867, to Miss Mary Hickman, who was born in England, July 7, 1842. No children. She came here when but one year old, with her parents. In 1867 he went to Missouri, and bought 160 acres; farmed it till 1868, then rented his farm and came back here to farm his father's land.


1878 INDEX
HOME

All material contained on these pages is furnished for the free use of those engaged in researching their family origins. Any commercial use, without the consent of the host/author of these pages is prohibited.