Our subject was the son of Charles and Christina (Stump) Augustine. The elder Augustine was of French descent. He was born in Ohio, and located in Canada for a time. He emigrated to Morgan County, Ill., in 1830, the winter of the deep snow. He died here in 1845, his wife preceding him to the grave four months. They were the parents of six children, three of whom survive: Lydia, widow of John Hyde, of ths county; Mary J. and Charles W. the Following are deceased: Cornelius, George W. and Christina. Mr. Augustine, Sr. made his original purchase of land in section 36, township 16l, and range 13, consisting of 160 acres. He later on bought an additional quarter-section and also seventy-five acres of timber land in Scott County, Ill. When he landed in Morgan County he had exactly $60, and from this small beginning he attained the distinction of being one of the wealthiest farmers in his neighborhood. Upon his first claim he erected a log cabin, which was constructed in the manner of the early days, and in which the subject of this sketch was born. As his circumstances became better he improved his farm more, and in due time built a good, substantial farm house. He was one of the early members of the Baptist Church at Meredosia, and was enthusiastic in religious matters. The first plow he owned, when he came to this country, was one of the old wooden-mold-board style, and his other farming implements were correspondingly primitive. Stoves were nearly unknown in those days, fireplaces being the rule. Politically, the elder Augustine was a Whig, and it is said that he was a man of intelligence and decided convictions.
Charles W. Augustine is one of the class of pioneers who came to this country with their parents, and were reared amid the hardships and privations that usually surround the early settler. He attended school a few weeks each winter, in the log school house and received his limited book-learning in the old-fashioned way. In those days the only schools that obtained were of the subscription sort, each of the parents paying a stated amount for their children's tuition and the teacher "boarding around," as it was called. The apparatus that the schools of today employ to teach children is all that could be desired, while the apparatus of the early settler consisted of a chunk of chalk and a good sized birch rod. Mr. Augustine attended the public schools at a later period of his boyhood. He has been in agricultural pursuits his entire life, and is one of the many who has witnessed the wonderful growth of this county, from a farmer's standpoint.
Mr. Augustine was first married, Nov. 2, 1865, to Miss Ruth Hodges, who was also a native of Morgan County. She was the daughter of Thomas Hodges, one of the pioneers of this county. This wife died. He was married the second time Jan. 30, 1884. The maiden of his second wife was Ella Troy, a native of Clermont County, Ohio, who was born Jan. 1, 1855. She is a daughter of George (deceased) and Martha Troy. Her father was a native of Clermont County, Ohio, while her mother was born in West Virginia, and came to Warren County, Ohio, when eleven years old.
Charles W. Augustine settled on his present farm early in the sixties. He erected his present fine residence in the fall of 1874, and has now a splendid home. The furnishings of his house are in keeping with all the surroundings. He owns 273 acres of land, every acre of which is under good cultivation. Politically,. He is a Democrat, and has served six years as School Trustee, and has also held the office of Township Road Commissioner. His wife is a communicant of the Presbyterian Church. It may be said that Mr. Augustine is one of the best farmers and citizens of his neighborhood and still keep within the strict line of truth.