ALBERT C. BROWN, M.D. Very few words in introduction are necessary in noting the career of the subject of this notice. He is a son of the late Isaac H. Brown, who was one of the most noted physicians of the county, and who not only commanded an extensive patronage, but for whom not only his patrons, but his acquaintances entertained a feeling of the warmest regard. Albert C. was born in Chicago, June 25, 1849, and completed his medical studies at Bellevue College, in New York City, in 1873. Prior to this he had read medicine under the careful instruction of his father and other tutors, and was graduated from Illinois College in 1870, after which he took a course of lectures at Rush Medical College.
Dr. Brown, after receiving his diploma, was the associate of his father in practice in Waverly, where he has since been located. He was married in 1875, to Miss Lucinda A., daughter of Platt and Flora A. Carter, and who was born in Sangamon County, this State. Of this union there were born two bright children, Fred and Carter. The Doctor, politically, inclines to Republican doctrines, and besides serving as a member of the School Board, has represented his Ward in the City Council.
Dr. Isaac H. Brown, obtained a brilliant record as a physician and Christian gentleman, his upright life and benevolent acts gaining him in a marked degree the esteem and confidence of his community. He was a lover of truth, and a devotee of science with the manifest desire to improve and elevate those with whom he became associated. He was born in Goshen, Litchfield, Conn., Oct. 20, 1805, and pursued his course of medical study for a time in Pittsfield, Mass. Later, he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons in the city of New York, from which he was graduated Feb. 20, 1828.
In the spring of 1829, Dr. Brown, the father of our subject, established himself in his profession at Avon, Conn., where he continued until the spring of 1838. He then emigrated to this State, and located in Quincy, where he remained about one year, then changed his residence to Waverly, this county, where he followed his profession successfully until his death, which occurred April 13, 1874. He had been married in Avon, Conn., July 29, 1834, to Miss Mary, youngest daughter of Chandler Woodford, and to them were born eight children: Jane A. married Frederick Curtis, and is now fifty-three years of age. William W., of whom a sketch appears elsewhere in this work, was formerly a banker of Waverly, and is now deceased; Lucy M. became the wife of Prof. E. A. Tanner, of Illinois College, Jacksonville, and is now forty-seven years of age; Georgiana died when about three years old; Oliver H. is in the employ of the Santa Fe Railroad, and located at Topeka, Kan.; Albert C., our subject, was the fifth child; Frederick A. was employed as a teacher in Illinois College, and died in 1876; Sylvester S., also a railroad man in Topeka, Kan., with his brother.
Dr. Isaac Brown, politically, was a stanch Republican, and held some of the local offices, rather against his will, for he preferred giving his time to the duties of his profession. He was for many years a Deacon in the Congregational Church, and officiated as Superintendent of the Sunday School. He was a man greatly attached to his friends, frequently assisting them financially, and although living to a ripe old age, nearly attaining his three-score years and ten - his faculties remained practically unimpaired, and he continued to be a blessing to his community until called hence. The life of the physician of the pioneer days was one attended by many hardships and of these Dr. Brown had his full share, but his energy sufficed to enable him to overcome many difficulties, and he enjoyed uniform good health until a few years prior to his demise. The paternal grandparents of our subject were William and Mary (Hayden) Brown, the former a native of Hartland, Conn., and the latter of Windsor, that State. They came with their son, Isaac, to Illinois, and grandfather Brown established the first blacksmith sop at Waverly. Both spent the remainder of their lives here, and their remains lie side by side in Waverly cemetery.