William Eades, father of Mrs. Clark, was a farmer of Taylor County, Ky., where he owned 160 acres of land. He died at the early age of twenty-eight years. His wife was named Caroline Bailey, also a native of Morrison County, Ky. The latter, after her husband's death, resided in Scott County, and later removed to Gentry County, Mo., where she owned an eighty-acre farm. She was sixty-four years old when she died, and was the mother of six children - Nancy J., Sarah A., Martha W., Rachael C., William T., and Mary E. (deceased.)
Nancy J., the subject of this sketch, was born in Taylor County, Ky., near Morrisville. She received a common school education, and at the age of fifteen years she came to Morgan County, Ill., where she remained until her marriage in 1856. She was first married in Morgan County, Dec. 3, 1856, to Mr. Joseph Peters, whose father, a native of North Carolina, came to Illinois in an early day and located in this county, where he engaged in farming. He served in the War of 1812, and died in Scott County. Joseph Peters enlisted in September, 1862, in the 129th Illinois Infantry, and was mustered in at Pontiac, from where his regiment was sent South. He participated in the battle at Resaca. He was shot in the head and instantly killed, May 15, 1864.
The subject of this biography operated the farm until her second marriage, which occurred June 3, 1875, to Albert Robinson, who was born in Gallatin County, Ill., in 1818, and was the son of William Robinson, a native of North Carolina. Albert Robinson died July 22, 1880, again leaving the subject of this sketch a widow. She was married the third time, to Mr. F. A. Clark, April 8, 1885. He was a native of Scott County, and was born in 1834. His father, George W. Clark, was born in Mechlenburg County, Va., June 19, 1797. He was a soldier of the War of 1812, and served until its close. In 1829 he came to Scott County and located near Winchester, on 160 acres of land, where he resided until 1834. He removed from here to Manchester, where he engaged in farming until 1852, when he again returned to Winchester, and was there elected Justice of the Peace for six terms. Since then he has lived retired, with his son, F. A. Clark.
F. A. Clark was reared to manhood in Scott county, and here learned the trade of a blacksmith. He followed this occupation at Winchester until his enlistment in the army, which occurred Sept. 8, 1862. He joined Company D, of the 129th Illinois Infantry, and on Sept. 13 was mustered into the service at Pontiac as a private soldier, but was immediately detailed on detached service in the Quartermaster's department. In June, 1865, he received his honorable discharge from the army, at Chicago, and again returned to his old occupation of a blacksmith, supplementing this business with dealing in agricultural implements - an occupation in which he continued until 1886. In 1854 he was first married to Miss Malinda J. Williams, at Winchester. She died in 1883, leaving six children - Ella D., Emily J., Francis A., Edward S., Bert W. and Maggie M.
By Mrs. Clark's first marriage she had two children - Harriet and John N. By her second marriage she became the mother of one child - William H. Robinson, who is living at home. Mrs. Clark is a member of the Baptist Church, and was one of the charter members of that organization at her place.
Mr. Clark, politically, is an enthusiastic Republican, as is his aged father, and as a neighbor he possesses those characteristics which command respect. He and his wife are living on one of the best farms in the community, and are engaged in general farming and stock-raising. They also take pride in breeding fancy poultry. The farm is dotted with groves and fine orchards, which contain apple and per trees in abundance, and on the whole Mr. and Mrs. Clark ought to be happy in the ownership of so fine a home.