JOHN W. GREEN. This honored pioneer of Scott County has been successful in accumulating a fine property, being the owner of 560 acres of good farming land, with a residence finely located on the banks of Mauvaisterre Creek. The dwelling, with is surroundings, its well-kept grounds and its air of comfort and plenty, presents a very inviting spot to the weary traveler, under whose hospitable roof he frequently finds rest and refreshment. Mr. Green is one of the oldest living residents of this section, and while engaged in the building up of his homestead, also established himself in the esteem and confidence of his fellow-citizens.
Of excellent English ancestry, our subject, who was born in Bluffs Precinct, this county, Jan. 7, 1834, is the son of Benjamin Green, who was born in Yorkshire, England, Jan. 7, 1800. The paternal grandfather, John Green, a substantial English yeoman, owned a large farm in Yorkshire, and served for several years in the English army as a lieutenant. Benjamin Green, in 1829, emigrated to America, and coming directly to this county, entered a tract of land from the government, and also purchased school land in Bluffs Precinct. He was greatly prospered, and in due time became the owner of 45 acres, which at the time of his death, in June, 1882, was all under a fine state of cultivation and supplied with good buildings. The father of our subject was an active member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics a stanch Republican. He embraced religion at the early age of fifteen years, and was one of the pillars of the church at Naples, which he assisted in organizing. He officiated as Class-Leader a number of years, and at the time of his decease was a Steward and Trustee. He donated largely to the maintenance of the society and the building of the church edifice.
Mrs. Hannah (White) Green, the mother of our subject, was born in Lincolnshire, England, which was also the birthplace of her father. She came to America with her husband and died in 1851, at the age of fifty-one years. The parental household included eight children, five of whom lived to years of maturity. Mary, Mrs. Woodman, is a resident of Jacksonville, this State; Annie, Mrs. Chance, lives at Bluffs; John W., our subject, was the next in order of birth; Elizabeth, Mrs. Merras, lives at Bluffs; William died when twenty-three years old. He, during the civil war, enlisted in Company I, 129th Illinois Infantry was mustered in at Decatur, took part in many important battles, and died at Mitchellville, Tenn., in 1863.
John W. Green pursued his early studies in the district school, and remained under the parental roof until twenty years old. IN 1854 he purchased the land comprising his present homestead, and which was then in its primitive condition, without any improvements whatever. He entered at once upon the task before him, and, in the course of a few years, found himself on solid ground. He purchase land adjoining, until at one time he was the owner of 1000 acres in one body. He put up a $6000 residence, and besides general farming, engaged in stock-raising, threshing and saw-milling, and from all these resources realized a handsome income.
In 1886 Mr. Green sold off 320 and 120 acres of his land and retired from active labor. Many and great have been the changes he has witnessed since coming to this county, where he set foot when wild game of all kinds was plentiful, and he often saw as many as twelve deer in one herd. Wolves also howled around the cabin door at night, and there was plenty of wild turkeys and other game, which afforded the settlers many a rare meal. Mr. Green set out fruit and forest trees, orchards of peach, apples and the small fruits, and constructed a fish pond, which he stocked with a choice variety of the finny tribe. He made a specialty of full-blooded Poland-China swine, and bought and fed cattle in large numbers, shipping usually two cars each year. He kept draft horses to the number of twenty head usually, and employed five teams in operating the farm. He is still the owner of the full-blooded Clyde Stallion, Prince, a magnificent animal who pulls down the scales at 1700 pounds.
The 29th of October, 1854, witnessed the marriage of our subject at Bluffs with Miss Margaret Jane Ohler. Mrs. Green was born in Adams County, Pa., and came to Illinois with her parents when quite young, they settling on land in Bluffs Precinct. She remained a member of her father's household until her marriage with our subject, and of this union there have been born six children. The eldest, a daughter, Margaret, is the wife of W. G. Pine, a farmer of Oxville Precinct, and they have five children: Harry, William, John, Grant and Ross. Ann is the wife of Eli McLaughlin, a farmer of Winchester Precinct, and they have six children - Harvey, Mabel, Flo, Janey, Claude and Carrie; Benjamin, a grain-buyer of Riggston, this county, is married and has one boy - John; William, Carrie and Harvey are at home with their parents. William took kindly to his books, studied in different colleges, and now follows the profession of a teacher; he is also the assessor of township 15, range 13 - a fine, jolly lad who is a favorite of all.
Mr. Green politically, is a stanch Republican, and has been quite prominent in the councils of his party, frequently representing it in the county conventions. He has served as County commissioner and School Director; was Township Trustee a period of fifteen years, and is now President of the Board. He has also served on the Grand and Petit juries. He was at one time connected with both the I.O.O.F. and the Masonic fraternity. He is a very active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Naples, to which he contributes a liberal and cheerful support, has served as Steward and Trustee, and has been Sunday School Superintendent.