CHARLES HENRY, D.D.S. This gentleman has the distinguished honor of being the first graduate of his profession to practice in this city. He commenced in the year 1865, and has since enjoyed a very large patronage, which speaks for him the confidence of the citizens in his ability. He is a native of East Woodstock, Conn., and was born in the year 1835 to Erastus and Eliza Henry, both of whom were natives of the Empire State. His father was a manufacturer of farming implements, and followed his trade in Connecticut until the time of his death. The father died in 1860, his wife surviving him some six years.
The subject of this writing is one of five children born to his parents. They were careful to give him what advantages were possible in the direction of education. Until he was seventeen years of age he remained at home, but then left to go to Savannah, Ga. Prior to this journey he had studied dentistry with his brother Erastus in Connecticut, and upon the latter opening an office in Savannah he accompanied him and continued in the business. He remained in Georgia about seven years, all that time following his chosen profession. In 1863 he went to Iowa and settled at Cedar Falls, and remained for about two years; then he came to this place, opened his office and dental parlors and began a business that has been in every way most satisfactory to him.
In the year 1863 Dr. Henry entered the marriage state, taking as the companion of his life Miss Martha M. Cole, the daughter of Jacob Cole of Cedar Falls, Iowa. This happy union has been consummated by the birth of four children, whose names are recorded as follows: Charles C., George E., Mamie B. and Harry E. Mrs. Henry was born in Hunterdon County, N.J., March 28, 1845, and received her education in the Cedar Falls High School, and is in every way most admirably fitted to occupy a high position in society without in any wise detracting from those domestic virtues which have made her the inspiration of her home.
Dr. Henry is one of the representative citizens of Jacksonville. He occupies the position of Director of the First National Bank, and is quite a financier. The Masonic fraternity names him as one of its worthy and esteemed members. He is also affiliated with the State Dental Society. In matters political he is heartily in accord with the platform of the Democratic party, and is numbered among the active working members of the same, of which he has continued an adherent since his coming to mature years. He is a respected member of the City Council, and as such endeavors to serve faithfully those who placed him in that position.
After studying with his brother for several years and also practicing dentistry for a considerable period upon his own account, the subject of our sketch entered the College of Dental Surgery of Pennsylvania, and after taking the regular course of instruction he was graduated in the year 1860, receiving a diploma that intimated that he was entitled to the degree of D.D.S., with every privilege to practice as such. He has put this privilege to the best use, as many of his patrons can fully testify, and has earned and received not simply the regard and confidence, but the hearty thanks and gratitude of those who have had occasion to trust themselves in his hands and employ his skill in their behalf.