MRS. EMMA (MILNER) HEWSON occupies one of the most beautiful homes in the city of Jacksonville, at No. 1357, South Clay Avenue. She is a most estimable and highly respected lady of cultivated tastes and ample means, and is the widow of John Hewson, who departed this life, March 30, 1885, leaving his wife and two children to mourn their loss. He had been a kind husband and father, a good citizen, and a capable business man, and a resident of this county since its pioneer days.
Mr. Hewson was born near the town of Rippon, Yorkshire, England, July 29, 1812, and in his youth served an apprenticeship at boot and shoe making. He crossed the Atlantic in 1843, and coming immediately to Illinois, settled on a tract of land which embraced a portion of the mound four miles west of the present site of Jacksonville. Later he removed to a point seven miles south of the city, where he purchased 240 acres, and brought the land to a high state of cultivation, effecting all modern improvements, among them being the erection of a handsome residence, and the setting out of a large quantity of fruit and shade trees. He was prosperous in his labors, and acquired a competency. In the fall of 1869 he retired from active labor, leaving the farm and moving into the city, where he spent the remainder of his life.
Miss Emma Milner became the wife of John Hewson, January, 1835. She was born July 9, 1818, in Leeds, Yorkshire, and is the daughter of James and Elizabeth (Wade) Milner, natives of England, where they spent their last years. To Mr. and Mrs. Milner there were born seven children. Of all these children, one alone survives.
The residence and grounds which comprise the pleasant home of Mrs. Hewson, were purchased in 1860. The estate includes three houses, and the store building in the city. Mr. Hewson was a very energetic and capable business man, and by his lively interest in the upbuilding of Jacksonville, has left his name on record as one of its most valued citizens. He was a staunch Republican, a strong temperance man, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he officiated as Steward and Trustee.
Elizabeth, the eldest daughter of Mrs. Hewson, became the wife of John Fink, and is now deceased. They were the parents of five children - Frank, Eva, Luella, Stella, and Maude. Ellen, Mrs. James A. Cook, is a resident of Jacksonville, and the mother of two children, Orrin, and Emma. Mrs. Hewson is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and contributes liberally of her time and means to the furtherance of religious work. She is very popular in her community, and held in universal esteem.
On another page is a lithographic engraving of John Hewson. This will be a highly valued memento to his many friends, who mourned his death as a personal loss.