FRED C. HOMES. The Homes family have been represented in the United States for several generations and in Illinois for nearly fifty years. William Homes, the father of our subject, and a native of Boston, Mass., was a man of excellent education, and came to this State in his youth. He was graduated from the Illinois College, after which he identified himself with the ministry of the Presbyterian Church, and was pastor of a congregation at St. Louis, Mo., until about 1856. Then becoming interested in the legal profession he studied and practiced law at the same time, and finally drifted into the newspaper business, becoming connected with the editorial staff of the Missouri Republican, the leading Democratic paper of that State. Later he was employed as an Attorney for the Ohio & Mississippi Railroad for a number of years. In 1864 he went to California, on business, and was absent almost two years. Upon his return he again became connected with the Republican and died in its employ in 1869. In early life he was a Whig, but later joined the Democracy, and although not a politician, always maintained a warm interest in questions of national importance.
Mrs. Julia R. (Salter) Homes, the mother of our subject, was a native of New Haven, Conn., and the daughter of Cleveland J. Salter, who was the first child of that name in the United States, and whose parents were natives of England. She is still living and resides near Philadelphia, Pa. The parental household included seven children, namely - Fred C., William F., Henry B., Frank K., Julia R., Mary L., and John C. The paternal grandfather, Henry Homes, was a member of the well-known firm of Homes & Homes hardware merchants. The subject of this sketch was born in Springfield, Ill., May 18, 1844, while his mother was on a visit to that place. The family were then living in St. Louis, Mo., and there remained until the boy was eleven years old. In the meantime he had attended the common school, and after pursuing his studies a short season at Palmyra, Mo., repaired to Springfield, Ill., where he studied three years, and then went East, to Andover, Mass., and spent two years. Later he passed the same length of time on his grandfather's farm in Waverly, Ill. In the meantime the family made their home at St. Louis, although spending the summer months out of the city.
Upon attaining his majority our subject repaired to New Haven, Conn., where he attended school three years. In 1865 he joined the family at St. Louis, and engaged as clerk in a hardware store until 1869, when he came to this county and established himself in Waverly Precinct on a farm, that he now owns and occupies, but then the property of his uncle. In 1871 he took unto himself a wife and helpmate, Miss Myra A., daughter of Orlando and Martha (Pickett) Wadhams, and born near Waverly in Sangamon County. In due time his uncle, Charles L. Ives, presented Mr. Homes with the farm and in addition to agricultural pursuits he has carried on quite a flourishing lumber business in Waverly. His homestead lies just north of the corporate limits of the town and embraces 160 acres of land with excellent improvements. It is represented in this volume, and is a remarkably pleasant place, and the frequent resort of the best people of this part of the county.
The five children born to Mr. and Mrs. Homes were named, respectively: Charles I., Susie W., Fred C., Jr., Myra W., and Mary L. Our subject, politically, is a sound Republican and in religious matters is a Congregationalist.