CHARLES J. HUSBAND. One seldom meets with a man who leaves a more lasting impression than the subject of this sketch. He has the highest qualities of the true gentleman; is genial and companionable, and possesses a fund of general information by which he is enabled to lead in profitable and entertaining conversation. He has been abundantly blessed with his world's goods, and makes his home in one of the finest residences in Scott County, which, with its surroundings, very nearly approaches the popular idea of paradise. Not the least among his blessings is the companionship of an amiable and intelligent wife - a refined and cultivated lady, with tastes similar to his own. Their home indicates, on all sides, the existence of cultured tastes and ample means, and is a most pleasant resort for the many friends whom they have made since commencing their wedded life in Scott County. Mr. Husband owns and operates 203 acres of prime land on section 32, in Oxville Precinct, township 15, range 13. He was born in this precinct, Aug. 14, 1843, and received a good education in the common schools. While a boy he learned the trade of a carpenter, and has since been more or less engaged in the handling of tools, although he makes farming his principal business. He purchased his land in 1871, and has effected all the improvements which we see to-day. The residence is a substantial brick structure, forty-four feet square, the woodwork of which was done mostly by Mr. Husband. The land is watered by Mauvaisterre Creek, and with its well-kept fences, groves and orchards, presents a picture delightful to contemplate. In addition to the raising of wheat and corn, our subject keeps a goodly assortment of live-stock-horses, cattle and swine - and avails himself of the most modern and improved machinery in the tilling of the soil.
In Scioto County, Ohio, Oct. 9, 1871, occurred the marriage of our subject with Miss Eliza Johnson, the daughter of J. O. and Phebe (Jeffords) Johnson, a well-to-do farmer of that county. Mr. Johnson was a native of Scioto County, while his estimable wife was born in Warren County, Ohio, and was the daughter of Henry Jeffords, also of that State. The father of Mrs. Husband spent his last years in Ohio, and died in August, 1883, aged seventy-five years, five months and five days. The mother survived her husband a little less than two years, her death taking place in November, 1885, when she was sixty-eight years old. They were the parents of eleven children (nine of whom lived to years of maturity), viz: Sarah J. (now deceased), Mary A., Isaac, Rebecca, Eliza, Henry J. (deceased), Caroline, Emily F., Milton (deceased), Okaey and W. Gordon.
Mrs. Husband was born in Lucasville, Scioto Co., Ohio, in March 1844. Of her union with our subject there are two children, sons - Orrin G. and Orville G., both of whom remain at home with their parents. Mr. Husband, politically, is a decided Republican, and has served on the Grand and Petit juries. A man quiet and unassuming in demeanor, he has, notwithstanding, exercised a sensible influence in his community - an influence which has been uniformly good.
The father of our subject was Judge Robert Husband, a native of Yorkshire, England. In early manhood he followed the trade of a carpenter, and finally became a builder and contractor in York and Sheffield. He came to America in 1842, and making his way directly to Scott County, purchased land in Oxville Precinct, where he carried on farming and carpentering combined, and was prospered. Later he engaged as a live-stock dealer, buying and feeding extensively, and at the time of his death was the owner of 480 acres of land. His decease occurred in 1870, at the age of fifty-six years. After becoming a voting citizen, he identified himself with the Democratic party, but later wheeled over into the ranks of the Republicans, with whom he remained until his death. He wielded considerable influence in the politics of his party, and after occupying other positions of trust and responsibility, was made Associate Judge of the County Court, which office he held during the war. The mother, Mrs. Fanny (Copley) Husband, was also a native of Yorkshire, England; she was born in 1818, came to America with her husband, and died in Oxville Precinct in 1862. Their five children were named respectively, with the exception of one who died in infancy: Charles J., George E., Mary (deceased), and Ellen E., who lives in Oxville Precinct.