J. H. JEWSBURY. Few of the prominent, prosperous residents of Morgan County are "sons of the soil." The majority have been attracted hither by the fame of the broad prairies, and the pleasing aspect of the country, rich in prospects of future wealth. Some, however, have spent their entire life in the land of their birth, and amid adverse surroundings, have arisen to affluence. Such is the character, and such represents the career of J. H. Jewsbury, a successful farmer of twenty years experience. In this volume appears a view of his home, which is situated on a farm of 280 acres highly improved, and supplied with good buildings. Since 1865 most of his time has been passed on this farm.
He was born four miles northeast of Jacksonville, and is therefore a native of Morgan County, his birth occurring Oct. 2, 1840. He is the youngest son of Richard and Mary A. (Smith) Jewsbury, natives of Derbyshire, England. Richard Jewsbury was reared as a hardware salesman, while in England. He received an unusually good education in his mother country, and while yet a young man, was considered very talented. He married his wife in the county of his birth, and she, like himself, was possessed of a very good education. They lived in the town of Measam, near Atherton, and there three of their children were born: Richard S., now a resident of this county; John C., who lives on a farm in Bourbon County, Kan., and Thomas N., who became a saddler and harness-maker, in Jacksonville, Ill. It was in the spring of 1836, that the parents, with their three little children, sailed for America, and after a voyage of six weeks, they landed in New York City, and later proceeded to Toledo, Ohio. The wife and children remained in that city, while Mr. Jewsbury came on horseback to Morgan County. There he purchased what was known as the Porter Clay farm, being named for a brother of the great orator and Statesman, Henry Clay. This farm was mostly improved and well-stocked. He later returned to Toledo, and brought his wife and children in a one-horse wagon to Morgan County, shipping his household goods by rail and lake. When he came here he expected to find a new and undeveloped country, and preparing himself for any emergency, brought along a large supply, not only of the necessities, but also of the comforts of life, including a fine library of 300 volumes, which was, no doubt, the largest then to be found in this part of the State. After some years Richard Jewsbury sold his farm in this county, and located for about three years in Cass County, Ill. In 1846, during the period of their residence in that county, Mrs. Jewsbury died at the age of forty-three years. She was a consistent and earnest member of the English Church, and universally beloved.
In 1849, Mr. Jewsbury with his second son, John C., set out for California. His camping outfit was complete, and his mode of transportation was with wagons, drawn by ox-teams. He left Cass County in March, and crossed the Missouri River at St. Joseph, and westward over the trail then used by those seeking the gold fields. They reached the American Eldorado, in August, after a trip devoid of any startling incident. For some two years they mined with but little success, then bought a place near the coast, and engaged as farmers for three years, with but little better success than they had experienced in mining. Becoming tired of California, in the spring of 1854, they started home by the Isthmus route, taking passage on the same vessel that carried Gen. John C. Fremont, on his first trip from Panama to New York. After Mr. Jewsbury landed in New York City, he proceeded to Morgan County, and from that time lived with his children. His death occurred at the home of one of his sons, near Jerseyville, Jersey County, Ill., in February, 1886, when within two months of being eighty years of age. He was a member of the Baptist church, and politically, a Democrat.
J. H. Jewsbury was well educated by his parents in the public schools of Morgan County. He lived at home with his father for three years after the death of his mother, and since that time, has earned his own living. He was married near Waverly, Ill. To Miss Lucinda E. Adams, who was born in the southwestern part of Morgan County, on April 2, 1846. She is a daughter of Phelps and Matilda A. (Jones) Adams, natives of North Carolina and Kentucky, respectively. Mr. Adams was born in 1815, and came to Morgan County with his father, John Adams, in 1832, they becoming necessarily early settlers. They located land in the southwestern part of the county, where John Adams died, aged about fifty years. Matilda A. Adams nee Jones, came North with her father, Thomas Jones, to Morgan County, in 1825, and here he died, aged seventy-two years. Her mother also died here when she was more than seventy years of age.
Mr. and Mrs. Adams were the parents of eight children, Mrs. Jewsbury being second. After the children were born, Mr. and Mrs. Adams removed to Sangamon County, Ill., settling near Waverly. Mr. Adams died suddenly of heart disease, while on a visit to Jacksonville, in July, 1883. He was a good citizen, and trained in the Democratic party. His wife, who survives him at the age of sixty-seven lives with her children, and is in good health.
Mrs. Lucinda E. Jewsbury was carefully reared to all kinds of domestic work, and was well educated. She is the mother of four children, one of whom, Joseph, died when he was seven years of age. The living are: Albert W., Frederick H., and Wilmuth P. Mr. and Mrs. Jewsbury attend the Christian Church, at Chapin. Politically, Mr. Jewsbury is an ardent Democrat. He is one of the very best citizens of Morgan County, and has attained his eminence as a business man and a neighbor, by strict attention to his own affairs, and fair dealings with all men.