The paternal grandparents of our subject were from Wales and Scotland. Grandfather Jones crossed the Atlantic in time to do good service in the Revolutionary Army under the direct command of Washington. He spent his last years in Virginia. To Stephen and Mildred Jones there were born five children, namely: Mrs. Maria Follson and Mrs. Nancy Kimes, deceased: Hiram K., our subject; Richard M., who was also a physician and is now deceased; and Cumberland G., the associate of our subject in his practice.
Mr. Jones was reared on the farm in Missouri, and remained under the parental roof until a youth of sixteen years. In the meantime he improved his opportunities for education, and after leaving school was occupied in teaching for a period of eight years in the academies and other schools of Lincoln County, Mo. About 1844-45 he commenced the study of medicine, fitting himself for the collegiate course. He emerged from the classical department of the Illinois College in 1844, and from the Medical department in 1846. He commenced the practice of his profession at Troy, Lincoln Co., Mo., and four years later was appointed Assistant-physician of the Insane Hospital in Jacksonville, which position he held until 1854. That year he became a resident of Jacksonville. For ten years he has been a member of the Board of Trustees of Illinois College, and in 1855 was appointed to fill one of its vacant chairs and deliver lectures during the winter. He is a member of most of the medical societies of both the State and county.
In 1879 Dr. Jones in company with five other gentlemen organized the Concord Summer School of Philosophy at Concord, Mass., and for five years thereafter attended and delivered a course of lectures each summer. This organization was officered as follows: A. Bronson Alcott, of Concord, Mass., Dean; prof. F. B. Sanborn, of Concord, Secretary; Prof. L. H. Emery, Jr., of Quincy, Ill., Director; Prof. Dr. W. T. Harris, L.L.D., of St. Louis, Mo., and Dr. H. K. Jones, Directors. This institution is entirely self-supporting and at each session there are delivered lectures by the famous literary men and women of the country, such as: Dr. A. C. Bartol, of Boston; Miss Elizabeth P. Peabody, of Massachusetts; Pres. Noah P. Porter, of Yale College. Julia Ward Howe, of Boston; John Abbe, of Massachusetts, and Mrs. Edna Cheney, Boston. The session commences in July of each year and continues four weeks. Its existence and purposes are familiar to the cultured and literary people of both East and West.
The lady chosen for the life companion of our subject, with whom he was united in marriage in 1844 was in her girlhood Miss Elizabeth Orr, a native of Pike County, Mo., and the daughter of Judge Philip and Lucy Orr, natives of Missouri, and at the time residents of that county.
Mrs. Jones is a lady of much literary ability and with her husband is a member in good standing of the Congregational Church. Their beautiful home with its modern improvements is finely located on West College avenue, where the doctor also has his office. He has little to do with politics, otherwise than to support the Republican principles by his voice and vote.