PORTRAIT & BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF MORGAN AND SCOTT COUNTIES, ILLINOIS
Chicago: Chapman Bros., Publishers

1889


DR. A. H. KELLOGG, one of the older resident physicians and surgeons of Jacksonville, has attained to more than his threescore and ten years, having been born Sept. 3, 1811, in Hampshire County, Mass. His boyhood and youth were spent mostly upon a farm although at an early age he began clerking for a wholesale house in Cleveland, Ohio. He acquired his early education in the schools of his native county, and later attended Amherst College in Massachusetts. He commenced the study of dentistry when a young man twenty-four years of age, and practiced several years in Ohio. Five years later he took up the study of medicine in Pickaway County, that State, and subsequently attended medical lectures in the Western Reserve College at Cleveland. He was admitted to practice in 1849.

From the Buckeye State Dr. Kellogg migrated across the Mississippi into Ashley, Pike Co., Mo., where he followed his profession until 1861. Early in that year the outbreak of the Rebellion furnished him unlooked for employment and he entered the army as Assistant Surgeon in the 8th Missouri Infantry. Afterward he was sent to Benton Barracks at St. Louis and from there to Mound City Hospital, in the vicinity of Cairo, where he remained three years. In the meantime he performed various other duties, gaining a rich experience in the details incident to army life.

At the close of the war Dr. Kellogg located in Jacksonville, and since that time has been in active practice at this point and vicinity. He has been for many years the attendant physician of the Deaf and Dumb Asylum and is a member of the Morgan County Medical Society.

The subject of this sketch is the son of Giles C. and Eunice P. (Cottrel) Kellogg, natives of the Bay State. The paternal grandfather, William Kellogg, was also a native of Massachusetts, and of Scotch descent. On the maternal side of the house, grandfather Nicholas Cottrel, came directly from the Highlands of Scotland, crossing the Atlantic with his parents at an early age, and settling with them in Worthington, Mass. Both the grandfathers did good service in the Revolutionary War.

Giles C. Kellogg, the father of our subject, was reared to farm pursuits, and left his native New England in 1832, settling on the Western Reserve in Ohio, about twelve miles from the city of Cleveland, where he became an extensive farmer. He reared a family of seven sons and two daughters of whom five are still living. Of these our subject is the eldest and was the second-born of the family. The sons became prominent men, holding positions of trust and responsibility in their several communities, the eldest brother, Frank, being a member of Congress several terms, representing a Michigan district. Giles C. in early manhood was Jeffersonian Democrat. Later he felt that he had reason to change his opinions and allied himself with the opposition, the old Whig party. After its abandonment by the organization of the Republicans, he affiliated with the latter and remained in accord with them until his death. He spent his last years on the farm near Cleveland, Ohio. Both he and the devoted mother were members in good standing of the Congregational Church. The mother died about 1863.

Miss Martha A. Holmes of Pickaway County, Ohio, became the wife of our subject, Aug. 20, 1839, and of this union there was born three children, one of whom died Oct. 2, 1863. The survivors are James H., a practicing attorney of this city, and Mary E., Mrs. Stillson, of Sandusky County, Ohio. Mrs. Martha A. Kellogg departed this life at her home in Ashley, Mo., May 1, 1861. Dr. Kellogg was subsequently married, in September, 1862, to Miss Martha J. Orr, who at that time was a resident of Pike County, Mo. She was a daughter of Judge Phillip and Lucy (Draper) Orr, who were natives of Tennessee, and are now deceased. Politically, Dr. Kellogg votes the Republican ticket, and with his estimable wife is a member in good standing of the Presbyterian Church. Their home is pleasantly located at No. 232 South East Street. Our subject is also a member of the Masonic fraternity. His practice has extended nearly all over this county where he is widely and favorably known.


1889 Index
MAGA © 2000-2011. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).