WILLIAM C. MANLEY, M.D., one of the most efficient physicians and surgeons of Morgan County, has for many years been a resident of Franklin village, and in this place and vicinity has built up a good business. He is a native of the Prairie State, having been born in Knox county, July 18, 1849, and lived there until nine years old. He then moved with his father, Archibald Manley, to the vicinity of Lincoln, in Logan County, where the latter engaged in farming and sojourned until 1869.
During the year above mentioned the father of our subject sold his farm property, and crossing the Mississippi with his family purchased 160 acres of improved land near Paola, Miami Co., Kan. He died of paralysis in 1888. The mother, Mrs. Mary (Capps) Manley, was a native of Fayette County, Ohio. The Capps family was of Irish ancestry and removed from Ohio to Knox County, this State, at an early day. The mother of our subject died in May, 1882.
Archibald and Mary Manley became the parents of seven children only, three of whom are living, viz: Margaret E., Benjamin L., and William C. of this sketch. The deceased were Richard S., Almira E., Mary J. and Harriet M. Mary became the wife of C.F. Johnson, a farmer of Logan County, this State, and the mother of one son, Henry. The latter married Miss Jennie Lawterman. Margaret E. Manley married Charles F. James, of McDonough County, Ill., who is now engaged in farming and stock-raising in Jefferson County, Neb.; they have five children. Benjamin L. was married to a Kansas lady, and is also engaged as a farmer and stock-dealer in Jefferson County, Neb.
Our subject accompanied his father to Kansas, but on account of ill-health returned to Logan County, this State, in September, 1871. He received a good education, attending school at Springfield, Ill., and completing a course in the Business College of that place. For four years thereafter he followed the profession of a teacher and in the meantime employed his leisure hours in the study of medicine with Dr. W. W. Howser, of Lincoln. In the winter of 1877 he went to St. Louis, Mo., where he attended the American Medical College, and was graduated in medicine and surgery in February, 1879. The same year Dr. Manley came to this county and established himself at Franklin, of which he has since been a resident. Not only has he gained laurels in his profession, enjoying a fine practice, but he is a general favorite, both in social and business circles. In Franklin he was married to his present wife, Miss Maggie E. Wright, daughter of James Wright, of Scott County, Ky. Mr. Wright was born in 1794, and departed this life in 1888. His wife, Mrs. Sarah (Head) Wright, also of Scott County, Ky., was born in 1811, and is still living, making her home with her daughter, Mrs. Manley.
Carl W., the only son of the doctor and his estimable wife, was born May 7, 1882. The younger child, Mary, was born Nov. 11, 1888. Our subject, politically, is a working Republican, and invariably does good service for his party at the polls. He has been a member of the Village Board of Trustees, and at one time was connected with the Board of Health. He is a Master Mason and belongs to the lodge at Franklin, in which he has frequently held official positions. Both he and his estimable wife belong to the Christian Church. They occupy a neat home, and enjoy the acquaintance and friendship of the best people in the community. The doctor is genial and companionable, - one who readily makes many and warm friends.