JOSIAH H. MCDONALD. Among the homesteads that adorn the landscape of township 13, range 12, Scott County, that belonging to the subject of this notice, invariably attracts the eye of the passing traveler. The first glance reveals it as the abode of cultivated tastes, and ample means. The farm, 177½ acres in extent has been brought to a thorough state of cultivation and in the fall of 1888, Mr. McDonald completed a fine new residence. The main building is two stories in height, 48x18 feet in dimensions and there is a one-story "L" 26x32 feet. The barn and other outbuildings are creditable alike to the good taste and judgment which have evidently been exercised in all the appointments of the premises.
In addition to general agriculture Mr. McDonald makes a specialty of fine stock, including graded Short-horn cattle and Poland-China swine.
Franklin County, Mo., was the early tramping ground of our subject, and where his birth took place Aug. 21, 1843. His father, Jesse McDonald, was a native of Kentucky and died when his son, Josiah H., was two years old. The mother Mrs. Ann (Horr) McDonald, was subsequently married to Benoni Sappington, by whom she had four children - Samuel, Julia, Belle and Emma. In 1855, the whole family emigrated to Morgan County, Ill., and the following year changed their residence to this county. They sojourned here until 1859, then removed to Greene County, where they lived until 1863, then returned to Scott.
While a resident of Greene County, this State, the Civil War being in progress, our subject, enlisted in Company C, 6th Illinois Cavalry in which he served three years, four months and seven days. He participated in the battle at Ft. Donelson, the Grearson raid, the siege of Port Hudson, the engagements at Buck River, Franklin and Nashville, (Tenn.), besides meeting the enemy at other points. He fortunately escaped wounds and capture and considering the hardships and exposure to which he was subjected while on duty, came out in comparatively good health. He then returned to his old haunts in this county where he has since lived.
Upon his return from the army, Mr. McDonald for three years was engaged as a conductor on what was then the Rockford & Rock Island Railroad. Later he established himself at the livery business in Winchester which occupied him one year. In the spring of 1876, he located on his present farm, and since that time has given to it his undivided attention, as its condition indicates. He took unto himself a wife and helpmate - Miss Jennie Dawson - Sept. 29, 1870, the wedding being celebrated at the bride's home in Scott County. Mrs. McDonald was born in 1855, and is the daughter of Jesse and Ann Dawson, the latter being deceased. Four children completed the household circle of our subject and his estimable wife, only three of whom are living, viz: Jesse, Clarence and Lecy Belle. Mr. McDonald has troubled himself very little about political matters although he keeps himself posted upon current events and uniformly votes the straight Republican ticket. He is identified with the G. A. R. at Winchester, and both in social and business circles is highly esteemed among his fellow citizens. His property has been accumulated by his own industry and frugality, and he is now far beyond the reach of want, having sufficient for his declining years. He has witnessed with warm interest the great changes which have occurred in Central Illinois during his sojourn here and in building up one of its finest homesteads has added thus much to the value of its real estate.