CHRISTIAN L. MEYER. The attention of the traveler passing the homestead of Mr. Meyer is at once attracted to the fine residence with its tasteful surroundings, the neat and substantial barn and other outbuildings, together with the machinery and live-stock, which indicate in a forcible manner the character of the proprietor for industry and enterprise. The farm embraces 310 acres, and has been the property of Mr. Meyer for the past eight years, he having settled here in the spring of 1881.
Prior to becoming a resident of this township, Mr. Meyer lived at Hegener Station, Cass County, where he had conducted a large farm with most excellent results. He came to Cass County in 1868 from St. Louis, where he was engaged in the butchering business. With the exception of four years spent in Iowa he had resided in St. Louis since 1867. He was born in Prussia, May 20, 1842, and comes of pure German stock, being the son of Frederick Meyer, who was accidentally killed in a stone quarry, while in the prime of life. Our subject was then scarcely more than an infant, and had one brother, Henry, older than himself. The mother, Mrs. Charlotte (Klamen) Meyer, after the death of her first husband, was subsequently married to Charles Fink. They emigrated to the United States in 1854, landing in New Orleans and thence making their way up the Mississippi to St. Louis, Mo.
In St. Louis, the mother of our subject and one of her children by Mr. Fink, died in less than a month after landing, of cholera, and were buried in the same grave. Mr. Fink was subsequently married a second time in St. Louis and settled in Des Moines County, Iowa, not far from the city of Burlington, where he is still living and is now quite aged; his second wife is also deceased.
Our subject after the death of his mother started out for himself, and has since made his own way in the world. Upon reaching man's estate he was married in Cass County, Ill., to Miss Elizabeth Weiss. This lady was born in that county and is the daughter of John and Catherine Weiss, who were among its earliest pioneers. By their industry and frugality they built up a good home and their spent their last days. They were natives of Germany and emigrated to the United States in their youth. It is supposed that they were married in Cass County, Ill., and there they reared a family of four daughters, all of whom are living except the wife of our subject. She died on the 16th of March, 1888, at the age of nearly forty years, having been born March 28, 1848.
Mrs. Meyer was the eldest one of the four sisters. The others are all married and have families of their own. They were all carefully trained and Mrs. Meyer was piously inclined from her childhood and before her marriage, belonging to the Lutheran Church. She assisted her husband greatly in his efforts to build up a home and obtain something for the future, and her death was deeply mourned, not only by him, but by all who knew her. Of this congenial union there were born eleven children, three of whom are deceased; namely: John, Laura, and Benjamin, all of whom died young. The survivors are Bertha A., Charles F., Arthur J., Harry W., Lewis C., Olie H., Elmer H., and Paul J. Mr. Meyer, politically, is a stanch Republican, and as was his estimable wife, is now a member of the Lutheran Church.