JAMES MOODY, a well-known resident of this county, and who is now deceased, established one of the best homesteads within its limits, and which is located in Township 15, range 12, on section 13, Scott County. He first purchased eighty acres in 1866, was prospered in his labors as a tiller of the soil, and added to his possessions until he had 203 acres, all of which he brought to a good state of cultivation. Upon it he likewise erected substantial modern buildings, set out fruit and shade trees, together with a fine apple orchard, and gathered around his family all the comforts of life. After making for himself the record of an honest man and a good citizen, he departed hence, July 3, 1887.
Mrs. Frances E. Moody, the widow of our subject, was born at "Ham Farm" Pilton Parish, Somersetshire, England, June 2, 1829, and when an infant of three months was taken by her parents to the Cape of Good Hope, South Africa, where she lived until 1836; then, a child of seven years, she returned to England with her mother (her father having died at Cape of Good Hope), and remembers many of the incidents connected with the coronation of Queen Victoria, which ensued the following year. She attended the common school, and when a young lady of twenty-two years established herself in partnership with her sister in a millinery and fancy-goods store at Yovel in Somersetshire, England, in which they were greatly prospered, and gave employment to ten persons. She was married, Sept. 29, 1857, at St. John's Church in Shepton Mallet, Somersetshire.
Mr. Moody was born at "Murry Farm" Oct. 18, 1830, in Huntspill Parish, Somersetshire, England, where he was reared to manhood on a farm. In 1850 he came to America, and making his way to Illinois engaged in farming in Morgan County, until 1857. He then returned to England, where he was married, and in November following, set sail with his wife for America. They embarked at Bristol on the sailing vessel, the "Ospray," which landed them in New York City after a voyage of five weeks and one day. Until 1859 they lived on a farm near Jacksonville, then removed to Chariton County, Mo., where Mr. Moody prosecuted farming until 1862. That year they came to Scott County on account of the war, and Mr. Moody rented a part of the land which comprises the present farm, and which he purchased two years later.
To Mr. and Mrs. Moody there were born four children, the eldest of whom, a daughter, Martha E., is the wife of Thomas Richardson, a farmer of Macoupin County; William R. remains at the homestead as its manager; Clara J. is the wife of H. Perrett, an engineer by profession, and they are located in Excelsior Springs, Mo.; Frances Emma remains with her mother. Mr. Moody, in religious matters was a member of the Episcopal Church at Jacksonville, and politically was a sound Democrat. Further than officiating as School Director, and on various juries, he did not mingle with public affairs.
The surroundings of Mrs. Moody are attractive in the extreme, the residence being especially beautiful, and set in the midst of well-kept grounds. The location is among the finest in the township, and its natural attractions have been largely added to by Mrs. Moody, who is a lady of more than ordinary intelligence and cultivated tastes, with a love for the finer things of life and everything tending to elevate humanity. She was especially happy in her married life, and holds the memory of her husband as among her most sacred possessions. She retains many pleasant recollections of her childhood at the Cape of Good Hope and her later life in England, and having rare conversational powers, is enabled to relate many an interesting tale in connection therewith. Her home is the frequent resort of the refined and cultivated people of Scott County, among whom she numbers many warm friends.