JAMES MORRISON, M.D., a venerable and highly esteemed resident of Jacksonville and one of its pioneer physicians, was born near Paris, in Bourbon County, Ky., Jan. 11, 1803. The father was a native of Ireland, and one of a family of seven children. The parents of our subject spent their last years in Henry County, Ky. William, his only brother, learned surveying, and at an early day, about 1820, went to Texas with a company of fifteen others, and was massacred by the indians. He left a wife and one son, whose whereabouts are unknown. James, our subject, spent his early years in Kentucky, pursuing his first studies in the common schools. When about eighteen years of age he commenced the study of medicine in Lexington, Ky., in the office of Dr. Benjamin Dudley, one of the most celebrated physicians of that time. When sufficiently advanced he entered the Cincinnati (Ohio) Medical College, from which he was graduated, and, before fully entering upon the regular practice, was united in marriage, in 1829, with Miss Lucinda Henderson, a native of his own county. They spent the first two years of their wedded life in Bourbon County, Ky., and then in 1831 came to this county, settling first in the little town of Arcadia. In the above-mentioned place Dr. Morrison practiced a number of years successfully, then returned to the Blue Grass regions and attended a course of lectures in the city of Louisville. This completed, and thus fortified for his future duties, he resumed practice in Arcadia. He was constantly anxious to advance himself still further in the knowledge of this most important calling, and, as soon as his circumstances would permit, proceeded to Philadelphia, Pa., and took another course of lectures. His prompt attention to his duties and his evident skill soon secured him an extensive patronage, and he found himself on the high road to prosperity with something laid by for a rainy day.
The first great affliction of our subject was the death of his excellent wife. Mrs. Lucinda Morrison, who departed this life on the 24th of October, 1850. Of this union there were no children. Dr. Morrison contracted a second marriage, May 16, 1853, with Miss Mary A. E. Troutman, and followed his practice thereafter for a period of thirteen years. In 1865 he retired, and spent his last days in the enjoyment of a handsome home in Jacksonville, of which he had been a resident for a period of twenty-three years. His death occurred Dec. 7, 1887. His remains were laid to rest two days later in a pleasant spot in Diamond Grove Cemetery. He had attained the ripe old age of nearly eighty-four years, and during his long and useful career was acknowledged as one of Morgan County's most distinguished and honored citizens. The doctrines of the Presbyterian Church coincided the most nearly with the religious ideas of Dr. Morrison, and he was a regular attendant upon the services thereof. In early manhood he was an old-line Whig, but upon the organization of the Republican party identified himself with the latter. Socially, he was a member in good standing of the I.O.O.F. He had no ambition for office of any kind, and, although frequently importuned to become one of the directors of the Jacksonville National Bank, he invariably declined.
Mrs. Morrison still occupies the pleasant home left her by her husband. She was the fourth of a family of ten children and the eldest daughter of Peter H. and Catherine M. (Giltner) Troutman who were natives of Kentucky, and spent their last years in that State. Mrs. Morrison was born Nov. 1, 1824, in Bourbon County, Ky. Her father was a farmer by occupation, and her childhood and youth were spent amid the quiet scenes of country life. After the death of her excellent mother, which occurred in 1840, in accordance with the mother's request, this daughter continued at home and took charge of the household. She is a lady of cultivated tastes, domestic in her inclinations, and greatly attached to her home. This she seldom left after her marriage with Dr. Morrison unless at his especial request.
The brothers and sisters of Mrs. Morrison are recorded as follows: Elijah, the eldest, died in Kentucky, Jan. 21, 1841; Frank died in Coles County, Ill., in 1881; Jacob is a resident of Jessamin County, Ky.; Eliza J. became the wife of Andrew Darling, and lives in Carrolton, Ky; Nancy A., Mrs. Alfred M. Clark, lives with her sister, Mrs. Morrison; Bernard G. is engaged in business in Coles county, this State; John G. is a resident of Andrew County, Mo.; Thomas A. died at his home, in Coles County, Ill., in 1867; and Sarah K. is the wife of S.K. Baker, of Lexington, Ky.