PORTRAIT & BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF MORGAN AND SCOTT COUNTIES, ILLINOIS
Chicago: Chapman Bros., Publishers

1889


JOHN RANSON. In the coming years when perhaps the grandchildren of the pioneers of Morgan County will be gathered together in social intercourse to talk of the old times, it will be gratifying to them to be able to peruse the records which are now being snatched from oblivion, and there will appear to them a certain charm in beholding the names of their sires in vivid black and white, as connected with the incidents of the early settlement of this county. The Ranson family from its known prominence and importance cannot properly be left out of this category, and the subject of this notice - one of its most worthy members - deserves more than a passing mention as a man who has redeemed a portion of the primitive soil, and built up one of the most desirable homesteads in his precinct. He is recognized as a thorough and skillful farmer, and has added in no small degree to the extent and value of the taxable property therein contained.

The offspring of a good family, our subject is the son of James Ranson, a native of Sheffield, England, who emigrated to America a single man, and later was married to Miss Sarah Richardson, a sister of Vincent Richardson, of this county. After their marriage the young people settled not far from the home of the Richardsons, and the father of our subject since that time has been a resident of this county, and continuously engaged in agricultural pursuits. The wife and mother died at the old homestead in Jacksonville, June 18, 1881. The parental household included seven sons and four daughters, of whom John, our subject, was the second born. He first opened his eyes to the light at the old homestead, near Lynnville, Jan. 27, 1836, and was there reared to man's estate. He remained a member of his father's household until taking up his abode in township 14, in 1862.

Upon the outbreak of the Civil War our subject, then a man of twenty-five years, and full of his plans for the future, laid aside his personal interests, and enlisted as a Union soldier, Sept. 2, 1861, in Company K, 27th Illinois Infantry. After serving four months, mostly in the army of the Mississippi, he was obliged to accept his honorable discharge on account of disability. After his return home he gave his attention exclusively to agricultural pursuits, in which he has since been engaged. Four years later he was married, May 23, 1865, at the home of the bride, four miles west of Jacksonville, to Miss Ann E. Killam. Mrs. Ranson was born near Liberty Church, on the 1st of October, 1843 and is the daughter of William and Mary (Hall) Killam, who were natives of England, and are now deceased.

In the spring of 1862, prior to his marriage Mr. Ranson settled in township 14, and is now the owner of 44o broad acres, nearly the whole of which has been brought to a high state of cultivation. In addition to general agriculture he is quite largely engaged as a stock-dealer, and from this industry has reaped quite a little fortune. His farm buildings are commodious and substantial, and he avails himself of the latest improved machinery in the cultivation of the soil. It has taken years of labor, and involved an outlay of thousands of dollars to bring his homestead to its present condition, and it is scarcely excelled by any in Morgan County in point of actual value.

Only three of the five children born to Mr. and Mrs. Ranson are now living, viz: James W., Samuel E., and Charles L. The eldest is twenty-two years of age, and the youngest fifteen, and they all remain under the home roof. Mr. Ranson, politically votes the straight Republican ticket, and, socially, is identified with the G. A. R.


1889 Index
MAGA © 2000-2011. In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, data and images may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or for other presentation without express permission by the contributor(s).