CHARLES L. ROUTT occupies a very high position in Morgan County as a gentleman and capitalist, and has a liberal education. He is a native of Woodford County, Ky., and was the son of Harvey and Catherine M. (Springer) Routt, and was born in the year 1823. His parents were natives of Kentucky and New Jersey. They were married in Kentucky and there made their home. During the earlier years of his life the father of our subject was engaged in teaching, and when not so employed was occupied upon his farm. He came to this county, about 1833, shipping his goods by water and traveling overland by carriage, and settled about eight miles south west from the city. He continued extensively engaged in farming until about 1856, then removed to the city, where he resided until his death, on the 23d of February, 1872. He was the father of three children by his first marriage: Charles L.; Caroline, now Mrs. B. Newman, of Chicago, and William R., of this city.
His first wife dying on the 17th of January, 1835, the father of our subject subsequently remarried, the lady of his choice being Mrs. Ann Fry, of Morgan County, Ill.; the day whereon this alliance was celebrated being the 4th of January, 1838. This has been consummated by the birth of one daughter, Catherine M., now the wife of J. T. McMillen, of this city. By a former husband this lady was the mother of two children, viz.: Mary A., who is happily married to C.B. Lewis, of this city, and William, who died in 1848, owing to an accident. He was at the time twelve years of age. The maiden name of Mrs. A. (Fry) Routt was Ann Ransdell, and she was the daughter of Presley and Mary (Shely) Ransdell, who were natives of Virginia; they migrated to this county in 1833. Mr. Ransdell being very extensively engaged in farming. The first husband of this lady, William Fry, of land in Morgan County, Ill., which he continued to farm until his death, which occurred soon after coming to this State, Aug. 19, 1835
The father of our subject, Harvey Routt, was elected to the office of County Commissioner, and also that of County Surveyor; he was also one of the Township Trustees; and at one time was in business as a loan agent. He was a man of sound business principles, strictest integrity, and stood high in the esteem of the people as a man, a citizen and a Christian. He took the largest possible interest in the affairs of the county and State, and was never tired of working to that end. In politics he was strictly conservative, and as behooved one of the most prominent citizens of the county, was of irreproachable reputation.
The subject of this biography from the first evinced somewhat of the strong, manly principles and large brain power that has distinguished him above his fellows. He was educated in the schools of Kentucky and Illinois, and also attended the Catholic College at Cincinnati, where he remained for three years, leaving that institution when in his seventeenth year, upon which he returned home and engaged in farming. At this he remained for a number of years and came to this city in 1866. Since that time he has retired from the more arduous work and from the pressing cares of business, and simply superintends the working of his farms, which comprise over 1,500 acres. In addition to his farms he is the owner of a very fine residence situated on East State street.
Ever since attending the Catholic school Mr. Routt has espoused that church and religious system, and has expressed his devotion thereto by his hearty support of the same, being among the very largest subscribers to the various institutions connected therewith in the city and neighborhood. He is a doughty defender of Democratic principles, and takes pleasure in promulgating and supporting them. He is in fact in every way worthy of the name of a representative American citizen.