1894 Plat Book of Morgan County Illinois
"Statistics of the Population of Morgan County By Townships, With Abstract of Agricultural Productions"
JOSEPH P. DEATON. This venerable settler was born in Amelia county, Virginia, on January 2, 1806. His father, James Deaton, was a farmer, and was a very old settler of Amelia county, Virginia, having been born and raised there. His parents emigrated to Botetourt county, Va., when he was about five years of age. From Botetourt county, they emigrated to St. Claire, Illinois, in 1819. In 1821 they removed into Morgan county. Mr. Joseph P. Deaton was married to Miss Sarah Cook, daughter of J. Cook, of Morgan county. Mr. Cook came to Morgan county, in 1826. Five children were born; viz: Elizabeth, born July, 1829, now Mrs. Jacob Stout, of Morgan County; Marshall who died in 1842; Thomas Deaton, Jr., born March 26, 1833, married February 8, 1854, to Miss Mary A. Caldwell, daughter of David B. Caldwell, Esq., of Morgan county; and L. Ann Deaton, who died when only a young child of five years. Mr. Deaton was in the militia at Galena, when the outbreak of the Indian difficulties commenced, at the time of the Black Hawk war. He was ready to engage in the conflict for the preservation of peace along the frontier. Although in no serious engagement, they stood ready to protect the brave settlers in their homes, and to save them from the cruelty of their savage foes. Few persons have any adequate idea of the barbarities committed during those Indian wars. The complete record of those cruelties has never been published, but if it were, the people would scarcely give credit to the tales of blood and misery, too true, alas, for the peace and quiet of many a home. Though now past the meridian of life, Mr. D. is able to give a distinct and interesting account of those border wars with the Indians. His memory is remarkably well preserved, and his tales are succinct, and seem more like a manuscript than a verbal repetition. The aborigines have passed away. The old soldier remains to tell us of the past, and remind the present generation how much they are indebted to those brave men who paved the way for our present standing as a county and greatness as a state. What a change has transpired since the arrival of Mr. D. in 1819! The little trading points have given place to cities, and the trails have been supplanted by long lines of railways and turnpikes. The fierce alarms are changed into the peaceful notes of agricultural and mechanical business. The soldier no longer is needed to protect the farmer, for wars and rumors of wars are heard no more. Such is the present condition of our great state. What and how much credit there is due the noble band of pioneers, who, through a long and vexatious series of droughts, storms, and wars vindicated their character as upright and God-fearing men.
The domestic relations of Mr. D. have been spoken of in a previous paragraph. They have been of the most happy character, and indicate, in a peculiar manner, the fine qualities he possessed, both as a husband and a father. A philanthropist by nature, he delights in doing good to all. In a quiet way, he works for the general public, and endeavors by his actions to set a good example for the rising generation. We are pained not to have sufficient data at this time to give due justice to the character and standing of the gentleman, a brief history of whose life appears above, but we feel assured that we have accomplished something that will assist in perpetuating his name. Many facts have been lost during the last fifty years, but sufficient data yet remains to tell us of the past. The children are worthy of such a father, and one of them has now an enviable reputation as a justice of the peace. 'Squire Deaton is well known both within and without his jurisdiction
as an official who possesses an honest heart and a well-balanced head. We trust that his ability may be recognized, and that he may long retain his position, a place for which he is amply qualified, on account of his attainments as a justice and a scholar. The old pioneer bids fair to live many years. It is a pleasure to listen to his stories of the past, when we think that he was an active participant in those trying scenes. He lives to enjoy the fruits of his industry, and to behold the wonderful changes that are now taking place. We hope that his life may be as long as it has been well spent, and that when he approaches that "bourne from whence no traveler returns," it may be with joy, feeling that he has "well and nobly acted his part upon this stage of action." As we approach the tomb of some early pioneer, we feel that his memory should ever be embalmed in words that never die; so, as we gaze upon the person of a living old settler, we feel the respect due him as a man who has labored long and
earnestly for our existence as a county and state, and we hope the time never may come when the people shall become so weak and vacillating as to forget the men who have made this country what it is. We must not forget to note the hospitality and good humor of Mr. D., for they are only equaled by his enterprise and industry. Though advanced in years, he exhibits the habits of a much younger man, by his sturdy stride, and the vim with which he applies himself to any task.
THOMAS DEATON was born in Virginia, September 29, 1813. His father (James Deaton) and family settled northeast of the present site of Jacksonville, in 1820. His children, who came with him, were: James Jr., deceased; Robert H., deceased; Leah, former wife of Hezekiah Bridgeman, of Concord (she died about 1853); Martha, former wife of Wm. Goodpasture (died about 1842); Thomas, the subject of this sketch; and William. The balance of the family are now residing in the county. James Deaton erected the second grist mill in the county; the power was horses and oxen. He died April 22, 1854. Thomas was married December 22, 1842, to Miss Matilda Underwood. His children are all residing with their parents, except Joseph Henry, in Green county, and John, in Macon county. Thomas Deaton is one of the energetic and persevering men who have labored for over half a century to develop a county having less than four score souls in it when he first became one if its citizens.
WILLIAM H. DE MOTTE, president of Illinois Female College, is a native of Kentucky. He was born near Danville, in that state, July 17, 1830. In 1831, his father, Rev. Daniel DeMotte, moved to Western Indiana, where he still resides. He was one of the early pioneers of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the northwest.
President DeMotte is the seventh of a family of eight children. He entered Asbury University at Greencastle, Ind., in 1844, and graduated therefrom in 1849. He was soon after elected a teacher in the Indiana Institution for the Deaf and Dumb, in which situation he remained till the spring of 1864, when Gov. Morton appointed him military and sanitary agent of Indiana, the duties of which office required him to go to Washington, where he spent about a year. In the spring of 1865 he was called to the presidency of Indiana Female college at Indianapolis, and in July, 1868, on the resignation of Dr. Adams, he was called to his present position. President DeMotte is a Christian gentleman of high culture, and one of the most practical and thorough educators in the west. Under his management, Illinois Female College has continued to prosper, and with its present efficient board of trustees and able corps of teachers, we may predict for it a career of great usefulness in the future. This school is designed exclusively for young women. It has the classical, scientific, and musical departments, and is arranged on the President's Home plan, with his family and the teachers living in the college, and having charge not only of the intellectual, but of the social and religious instruction of the students.
President DeMotte was married to Miss Catherine Hoover, daughter of Alexander Hoover, of Montgomery county, Ind., in September, 1852. They have had a family of six children, all of whom are now living. Mrs. DeMotte, the gifted and amiable Christian lady, was an indefatigable co-laborer with her husband in the duties of his office. She died May 26, 1872. Both President DeMotte and his wife, have been active members of the Methodist Episcopal church, with which they were identified in infancy by baptism.
JONATHAN DEPLEDGE was a native of Yorkshire, England, born in March, 1796. He was the third son of William and Sarah
Depledge, who had a family of thirteen children. Jonathan entered the English army, and was engaged under the Duke of Wellington, at the battle of Waterloo. Soon after he received an honorable discharge, returned home, and for twenty years was game keeper for Lord Fitz Williams, at W___ House. He was married at the age of twenty to Miss Jane Robinson, of London, who lived only about two years after her marriage. He was again, married, to Miss Ann Miller. With her he lived about twenty years, until her death, having but one child. In 1843, with his daughter, he came to New Orleans, and soon after to St. Louis, from there to Morgan county, where he bought a farm seven miles north of Jacksonville, where he lived about four years; from there he went to Naples, and then to Meredosia. He was married to his present wife (formerly Miss Elizabeth Gray, of England) in May, 1850. Mr. D. and his
wife are active members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Politically, he is a republican, and during the war was a supporter of the Union cause. He commenced in business with about four hundred pounds in money. He has been successful, having devoted his attention to farming. He is a good man, and a public spirited citizen.
EDWARD DUN, ESQ., was born in DuQuoin County, Illinois June 18, 1848. He is the only living child of Rev. Jos. R. and Mary A. Dun. Mr. Dun, the father, was a native of Delaware, and moved to St. Louis in 1835. He is a minister of the Presbyterian church. He was employed by the Temperance and Abolition Societies, as a lecturer through the principal cities of Illinois and Ohio, for a period of five years. In the meantime he married, at Ottawa, Miss Mary A. Rockwood, and was soon located in that city as pastor of a Presbyterian Church. He continued preaching till 1863. He now resides in Jacksonville. His son Edward, attended Normal University, at Bloomington, and Illinois college one year, where he graduated in 1867, with the degree of A.M. He was admitted to the bar in 1868, and is now a member of the law firm of Sanford and Dun.
COL. JAMES DUNLAP was a native of Kentucky, born in Fleming county, October 30th, 1802. He was the son of Rev. James Dunlap, who, on leaving Kentucky, settled in Champaign county, Ohio, and then removed to Marietta county, where he spent the remainder of his life. The Colonel emigrated from Champaign county, Ohio, and settled in Morgan county, July 4th, 1830. His first business engagement was in Jacksonville, on the north side of the square, where he opened a general assortment of articles usually offered in a country store. He devoted his energies to this interest till 1838, when, in company with Thomas T. January, he contracted to build the first railroad in the State, which was from Springfield to Meredosia, a distance of fifty-six miles. The firm of January & Dunlap completed this line ready for the rolling stock in 1845. Col. Dunlap dealt largely in real estate, and was also one of the prominent farmers and stock dealers till 1860. On the breaking out of the rebellion he engaged in the common cause of our country, exerting his business talents as Chief Quartermaster of the 13th Army Corps, and giving his attention to this important trust till 1864, when he returned to the peaceful avocations of civil life.
Among the many achievements of an active life of over 40 years, was the erection, in 1856, of the Dunlap House, which appropriately bears the name of its founder. This is one of the best and most capacious hotels in central Illinois. It is an ornament to the city, a most inviting and homelike place of accommodation for boarders and travelers, and may it long remain a monument of the energy and public spirit of the builder whose name it bears.
Col. Dunlap was married in Greene county, Ohio, November 19th, 1823, to Miss Elizabeth Freeman, of that county. Mrs. Dunlap is a woman of amiable and sterling qualities, which render her loved and respected by a large circle of friends and acquaintances. They have had a family of eleven children, in the following order of birth, viz: Sarah, now deceased, former wife of Gen. John A. McClernand; Mary Jane, who died in infancy; Amanda, who died in early youth; Emily, present wife of Rev. Dr. N. N. Wood, of Jacksonville; Mary, residing with her parents at the Dunlap House; Minerva, present wife of Gen. John A. McClernand, of Springville, Illinois; Eliza, present wife of Judge A. H. Robertson, of Lexington, Kentucky; Charles T. of the firm of Conover & Dunlap, wholesale and retail dealers in hardware, on the west side of the square, Jacksonville, Illinois; George A., engaged in Coffeeville, Kansas, dealing in real estate and stock; and William, his
youngest son, who is now in his collegiate course, and residing at home, in the Dunlap House. Col. Dunlap has never courted political or public responsibility, but was elected as a member of the State constitutional convention, in 1847, to amend the State constitution. He was commissioned by President Lincoln, in 1861, as Chief Quartermaster of the 13th Army Corps, as before stated. Col. Dunlap is one of the substantial and influential citizens of Morgan county, whose acquaintance is extensive, and whose character is duly appreciated by a community in which he has spent forty-two years of active life. Though nearly seventy years of age, Col. Dunlap has preserved his bodily and mental faculties in a good degree. He now looks healthy and robust, and remarkably young for one of that age. Col. Dunlap and his wife have been members of the Baptist church over twenty-five years.
ALEXANDER EDGMON, was born in Sullivan county, East Tennessee, December 5, 1819. With his widowed mother, Rebecca, and family he removed and settled at Waverly in April, 1836, where he remained till 1840, when he settled in the city of Jacksonville. He continued here till 1871, when he moved on his farm, where he now resides, two miles south of the city. Mr. Edgmon engaged in brock manufacture with A. P. W. Taintor for some time. Afterwards he continued the business as sole proprietor till 1865, when he, in company with Mr. Gallaher, continued until 1870, from which time he was sole proprietor for one year, after which he sold a half interest to G. W. Hilly, and, the year following, the remainder to L. B. Ross. Mr. Edgmon and his associates have made a larger amount of brick than any other firm in the city or county. Their pressed brick has been shipped by rail to other parts of the state. One year they employeed over one hundred men, and made, for several years,
over 5,000,000 brick. Mr. Edgmon is one of the energetic business men of Morgan county, who, by his industrious and public-spirited career, has contributed largely in making Jacksonville what it is, - one of the prominent cities in the state. He is respected by a large circle of friends and acquaintances.
WILLIAM ELLICOCK was born in Derby, England, May 10, 1836. He emigrated to Illinois, and settled in Greene county, in the summer of 1860. He came to Jacksonville, Ill., in December, 1865, where he opened an auction and commission house, and is still engaged on the north side of the public square. Mr. Ellicock established the first and only successful house of this kind in the city. His large commodious business house, with the general and varied assortment of his stock, enables him to compare favorably with any house of its class in central Illinois. Mr. Ellicock is a good citizen and an upright business man, - one who, by fair dealing, has the confidence of a large circle of friends and acquaintances.
HON. JAMES M. EPLER is a native of Morgan county (in that portion since formed into Cass county). He is the fifth child of Hon. David and Rachel R. Epler, who had a family of eight children. James M. received his earliest culture in the common schools of Cass county, and at the age of sixteen entered Illinois College, Jacksonville, completing the scientific and classical course and graduating from that institution in the class of 1858. Immediately after he commenced reading law in the office of Cyrus Epler, of Jacksonville, and was admitted to the bar. In December, 1859, he commenced the practice of law in Beardstown, Cass county, where he remained till 1864. In the fall of 1862 Mr. Epler was elected to the Illinois legislature as representative from Cass County. In the spring of 1864, in company with his brother, he made a visit to California, where they sojourned for about a year. In 1866 he was returned to the legislature, the district embracing Cass and Brown
counties. In the fall of 1867 Mr. Epler removed to Jacksonville and entered into a law partnership with Hon. William Brown. In the fall of 1868 Mr. Epler was elected, by a handsome majority, to the state senate from Morgan county, and is the present incumbent, filling the position with marked ability and distinction. Mr. Epler is unquestionably destined to win an enviable fame in the arena of politics, and, as a lawyer, stands prominent in this portion of the state. On the 7th of April, 1867, Mr. Epler was married to Miss Hannah Taylor, daughter of Joseph Taylor, of Springfield. They have had two children. Mrs. Epler is a graduate of the convent at Springfield. She is a lady very much esteemed for her social and literary qualities. Politically, Mr. Epler has always been a staunch supporter of the principles advanced by the democratic party. A fine view of Mr. E.'s residence will be shown elsewhere in this work.
JOHN B. FAIRBANK was born in New Ipswich, New Hampshire, in March, 1796. He received his early literary education at
Ipswich Academy. He engaged in teaching, at Stamford, Connecticut, and there became acquainted with, and was married to, Miss Hannah Crissey; after which he settled in Massachusetts, where he was largely engaged in the manufacture of palm leaf hats and bonnets, and straw goods. In 1835 he removed to the city of New York, where he continued his business until the summer of 1837, when he came to Morgan County. He first settled at Diamond Grove, until the summer of 1845, when he removed to Concord, and settled on the same farm where he now resides. Mr. Fairbank has had a family of five sons and five daughters. The youngest son and the daughters are deceased. His oldest son, Rev. S. B. Fairbank, has been a missionary for twenty-seven years, in India. His fourth son, Rev. John B. Fairbank, is the present pastor of Plymouth church, Ind. His second son is a citizen of Concord, Morgan county,
residing on the homestead. His third son, D. W. Fairbank, is engaged in the sale of agricultural implements and seeds, on West State street, near the square, Jacksonville, Illinois. As agent, many years, for McCormick's reaper and mower, he is known to most of the citizens of the county of Morgan and those adjoining. Mr. John B. Fairbank and his family are active members of the Congregational church. He is esteemed for his many manly and Christian virtues.
CAPT. GEORGE W. FANNING was born in Morgan County, Illinois, February 23, 1835. He is the oldest son of Sampson Fanning, a native of Virginia. His father moved to Tennessee, and from there to Morgan county, settling in township 15, range 10 (Jacksonville), in 1822. His father, Joseph, and family, in 1823, followed and settled in township 14, range 9, where Sampson soon settled. Here he remained till 1851, when he moved to the place where he now resides, near Murrayville. We would remark that Joseph Fanning and his sons were all among the early settlers of the county.
George W., in his early life, was engaged in farming, which avocation he followed till 1859, when he began the mercantile business in Murrayville, Ill., which he continued three years. In 1862 he took an active part in the great conflict by enlisting company F, 101st regiment Illinois volunteer infantry, which he commanded till the spring fo 1863, when he was discharged on a certificate of disability, and returned home. He soon embarked in merchandise again in Murrayville, having an interest in a flouring mill at the same time in the village. He continued these interests until January, 1870. He was elected treasurer and assessor of Morgan county in the fall of 1867, which office he filled (being re-elected) four years. In January, 1872, as one of the firm of Fanning, Paradice, and Co., he bought the Sentinel office and fitted up in Chambers' Block, where they have, at this time, a jobbing office in connection with the paper, which is doing
excellent work and driving a flourishing business. Capt. Fanning is well known by the citizens of Morgan county, as well as by many in his native state. His worth as an upright, public-spirited citizen and business man, is duly appreciated by his numerous friends.
THOMAS FELLOWS was born in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England, February 16, 1810. He is the third child of Joseph and Catharine Fellows, who had a family of seven children. Thomas left home August 21, 1827, and set sail from England to America, landing at New Orleans November 10, 1837; staid there a short time; came to Morgan county June 7, 1838; worked for Adam Allison the first summer; and for ten years superintended the packing of pork for Royal Mooers, at Naples, Illinois. On the 26th of November, 1861, Mr. Fellows was married to Martha Wilson, daughter of Edward and Anna Wilson. They have one child. At present Mr. Fellows is residing on his farm, one mile south of Lynnville.
ZADOCH W. FLINN - Among those who have risen from poverty to a position of prominence and great wealth, will be noticed the above-named. He was born in Surrey county, North Carolina, on November 14, 1795. Mr. Flinn was one of a large family of children born to Laughlin and Elizabeth Flinn, and, as was the custom in those days, he, at an early age, worked on that rugged soil, and assisted in the arduous labor of clearing land. What little education he possessed was obtained in the schools of his native state. When fourteen years of age, his parents removed to Kentucky, and he remained at home, working as usual, til 1818. Then being in his twenty-third year, he resolved to visit the prairie state and carve a fortune out of her fertile soil. So, after a long journey, in that year, the subject of this record settled on Richland Creek, Sangamon county, where he built the first cabin, and started a settlement on that creek. The neighborhood yet bears the original name of Richland, which is peculiarly applicable, on account of its fertility of soil. At this time Mr. Flinn was unmarried, and lived in the cabin solitary and alone, with the exception of an occasional visit from the Indians. He was so generous toward the latter that they gave him the name of "The Good Man." His land was equally divided between prairie and timber, and to the tillage and improvement of the farm he applied himself with that tenacity of purpose which has ever characterized the efforts of the early pioneers of Illinois. Feeling assured of his final success as an agriculturist, his labors were urged on by an indomitable will, and at the same time they were characterized by an honest and straightforward line of conduct, which, despite his poverty and forlorn condition, won for him the respect of the whites as well as the aborigines. As was previously remarked, the Indians paid a great tribute to his character, by terming him a good man, and the early settlers fully corroborated the title, on account of his generosity and benevolence toward them when in sickness or distress.
He resided on Richland creek about three years, and then removed to Morgan county, and located on land in township 16-9, in the month of October, 1821. Previous to this, on the 23rd of August, 1821, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Hill, daughter of Francis and Rebecca Hill, of Monroe county, Kentucky. Mr. Hill was a native of Virginia, but had emigrated to Kentucky with his parents at an early age. Mrs. Hill, whose maiden name was Rebecca Hall, was a native of South Carolina; her parents removed to Kentucky when she was quite a young girl. Mrs. Flinn's education was obtained in Kentucky, and what few advantages she possessed were well improved. Being the oldest child, much of the care of the family devolved upon her. Mr. Flinn was married to Miss Hill in Monroe county, Kentucky, and immediately after marriage, came to Illinois, and located his land as above stated. Mr. F., with the exception of some raw land, was extremely poor, but encouraged by the sympathy and aid of his youthful bride, he set out to dig out of the rugged soil a home and competence. By reason of his untiring energy and incessant industry, he soon began to accumulate property. Early in his agricultural career he connected stock raising and grazing with farming, and in both of these branches of industry he was very successful. As soon as a small sum of money was obtained, on the application of citizens, he would loan the same to them at rates of interest determined upon by them, as the law permitted any rate contracted by and between the parties. In this manner a large amount of money was earned. A peculiarity of Mr. Flinn's business was, as the settlers rightly stated, that everything he touched seemed to turn into gold. In fact, he "made success," and obtained a reputation as a shrewd, energetic, and far-seeing man of business without tarnishing his honor and casting a stain upon his name. These statements cannot but assure the reader of Mr. Flinn's inherent nobleness of heart, that would not stoop to dissimulation for the purpose of wealth.
Mr. Flinn was engaged in those Indian troubles known as the Black Hawk war. He participated in most of the campaigns, and in those fierce conflicts fought again and again, fortunately without receiving any wounds. At the time of the "deep snow" their cabin was nearly buried by the drifts of feathery element, and it was with difficulty that the stock was reached, wood hauled, etc. One morning, before ten o'clock, with the assistance of Stephen Flinn, he brought thirteen fine deer to the house. The snow was so deep that the deer were easily caught by the dogs, or shot at will by the hunter. Their bill of fare contained the corn-bread and the savory meat of the wild deer; and this could not but bring forth and develop the muscular frames and strong mental powers for which the yeomanry of the garden state are so noted. At this time, as ever since has been the case, his hospitality and benevolence were constantly tested. The latch-string of his door hung out," and many a weary pioneer and belated traveler rejoiced at the sight of his domicile, for they knew full well that none were turned away from his board, but all met a cordial welcome from this generous family. At the time of his death (December 1, 1868), he possessed over two thousand acres of land, and most of the same was under a fair state of cultivation. He always regarded with great pride blooded cattle, and was the first person in this section to import fine stock from the eastern and southern states. To his efforts are due the fine native cattle of this section, which meet the admiration of the farmer and stock raiser. In the feeding and sale of his stock, Mr. Flinn accumulated most of his large fortune, and this, by the way, on the farm on which he first settled, and on which his widow still resides. Mr. and Mrs. Flinn were the parents of fourteen children (seven of whom are dead), ten girls and four boys. Nine of the girls lived to be married. There are now living four daughters and three sons; as regards the latter, one is married. Of the daughters living, their names appear below, in the order of their ages; viz.: Mary Jane, the wife of Wm. C. Owen, Esq.; Amanda, the wife of Aaron Thompson; Levesta, the widow of John Sulley; Quintilla H., the wife of David Clark. The sons, in the order of their ages, are: Hezekiah W., Franklin M., and Edward M.
Though not an active politician, Mr. Flinn was a strong advocate and supporter of the old Jeffersonian and Jacksonian principles of democracy, and ever upheld the honor of his country as well as he was able. He was not a member of any church, but yet entertained a high opinion of religion, and aided and encouraged the support of the gospel in a kind and liberal manner, that evinced the deep esteem he had for morality and religion. While on a visit with his wife to their old home in Kentucky, he was seized with a sudden illness, from the effects of which he died, on December 1, 1868. His remains were brought to Morgan county, and buried in the family grave yard, on the old homestead. There reposes a kind father, an affectionate husband, a good neighbor, and a faithful friend. An appropriate monument marks the last resting place of all that is mortal of Mr. Flinn. Such, in brief, is the history of one who, in early life had to undergo the privation of poverty, and
who, by his own strong will and determined heart, step by step, rose to a position of wealth and prominence in society. He is kindly remembered by all of the old settlers who are yet living, as one who, in the early struggles of this county, was ever willing to lend a helping hand to distressed pioneers. His estimable widow, at the advanced age of sixty-seven, is residing on the old homestead, where in the past she spent so many happy days with her husband. There their children were born, and for the extended period of forty-seven years, they enjoyed the comforts of married life. With her two youngest sons, she manages the many household affairs, and dispenses hospitality with the same open hand that has characterized her actions for over fifty years. Mrs. Flinn is now the oldest resident of Morgan county, and bids fair (to judge from her energetic walk) to live for many years more. As an incident of her industrious life, we would state that the second bed-tick she owned after marriage was manufactured
by herself; she raised the cotton, picked the seeds by hand, carded and spun the same at home, and walked over a mile to weave it. This, in connection with making all the clothing worn by the family, formed only a portion of her multitudinous labors. What a difference between the labors of the women of that time and the ease and luxury of those of today! She was a help-mate worthy of so noble a husband, and justly ranks among the representative women in the early history of Illinois.
SAMUEL FRENCH was born in London, Merimack county, New Hampshire, November 9, 1812. His business through life has been farming and stock growing. He was married June 2, 1835, to Nancy S. Thompson, of Concord, New Hampshire. He emigrated west and settled about two miles west of Jacksonville, in 1839, where he remained about four years, when, with his family, he removed to his present farm, situated near the flourishing village of Chapin. Mr. French, by his first wife, had four children, all deceased, except one daughter, Laura Ann (former wife of the late Henry Atkins), who is now residing in the city of Jacksonville. He was married to his present wife, Miss Martha, daughter of Rev. John Fox, April 17, 1850. He has by this union two sons, Charles S., and Arthur Lincoln, both residing with their parents. Mr. French is one of the substantial citizens of Morgan county, possessing not only a good farm, but a high tone of moral rectitude and sense of right.
JOSEPH FUGUEIRA was born on the Island of Madeira, October 5, 1841. He emigrated with his parents, Lewis and Genoveva, and settled in Jacksonville in the spring of 1850, where three of his children still reside. Joseph Fugueira's vocation was carpentering, which he followed till 1862, when he established his present business, as importer and dealer in wine and liquors, No. 208 West Court street, near the northwest corner of the public square, Jacksonville, Ill. He also established, about three years since, the summer retreat, in the southwest part of the city, known as Fugueira's Garden, where he furnishes, during the day and evening, ice cream, fruits, and refreshments, a view of which appears elsewhere in this work. Mr. F. is one of the energetic business men of Morgan county.
NIMROD FUNK, was born in Shenandoah county, Virginia, Oct. 23, 1794. He was the third child of Samuel and Elizabeth Funk, who were natives of the "Old Dominion." He moved, with his family, to Illinois, in 1830, and settled in what is now Scott county, and died three years after settling there. His wife survived him eight years.
Nimrod, after living with his parents till he grew up, moved to East Tennessee, and was married to Eve Leib, daughter of John Leib, of Anderson county, Tennessee, in 1818. In early life he learned the trade of saddler and harness maker. On the 29th of October, 1827, he landed, with his family, in Illinois, locating in Morgan county. He entered a quarter section of land, on a portion of which Linnville (Lynnville) now stands. He carried on farming until the spring of 1869, when he sold his farm and moved to Jacksonville. Mrs. Funk died at their residence in the city June 22, 1871, soon after which he broke up housekeeping and went to live with his children. They had a family of twelve children, nine of whom are yet living. Mr. Funk and wife became members of the Baptist Church in 1825. He acquired considerable property, and now, in his advanced age, is enjoying good health.
REV. WILLIAM GREEN GALLAHER was born in Roane county, East Tennessee, February 27, 1801. He is the sixth child of a family of four sons and six daughters of Thomas and Mary Gallaher, who were both formerly from the vicinity of Millerstown, Pennsylvania, their parents having moved to Tennessee when they were quite young. James Gallaher, the grandfather of William G., moved to the then wilds of East Tennessee, and located on a farm in Washington county. There, his son Thomas became acquainted with the lady who afterwards became his wife. The ancestors on both sides were Scotch-Irish, some of whom were participants in the famous siege of Londonderry. Thomas Gallaher's occupation was that of a farmer. He removed to Illinois in 1833, locating in Sangamon county, where he resided until his death which occurred in 1843. His wife died the year previous.
Rev. Gallaher, like most young men who are raised on farms, early became inured to hard labor. Several years of his early life were spent in teaching school, and at the age of twenty-three he entered Greenville College, at Greenville, Tennessee. After leaving this institution he commenced the study of theology, under the instruction of his elder brother, Rev. James Gallaher, and Rev. Frederick A. Ross. He was licensed to preach in 1827, by the presbytery of Holston, East Tennessee. After being licensed, and with the hope of regaining his health, which had been impaired by hard study, he traveled for two years, through the Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama, Kentucky, and a portion of Virginia. Of this time, he spent six months laboring as a missionary in Hall county, Georgia, where his labors were abundantly successful. After this he returned to his home in Tennessee, but soon after removed to Winchester, Kentucky, where he preached about two years. Having received an invitation from the Third Presbyterian Church in Cincinnati to labor in that church as co-pastor with his brother, Rev. James Gallaher, he removed to that city in the fall of 1831, and remained in that capacity about two years. In was in that city he became acquainted with Miss Sarah Kautz, to whom he was married March 12, 1833. The names of his wife's parents were Jacob and Hannah Kautz. Before leaving Cincinnati, Mr. Gallaher's health was agin very much enfeebled by his ministerial labors. In 1833 Mr. Gallaher and wife moved to Sangamon county in Illinois, locating on a farm near Berlin. Soon after his arrival in Illinois, he was waited on by Mr. William Reynolds, Sr., and Mr. Chas. Jones, two elders of Pisgah Church (a recently organized church to which they belonged), the former of whom Mr. Gallaher had become acquainted with in Kentucky, and the latter in Alabama, and invited him to take charge of their church, and as soon as practicable he commenced his labors in the church at Pisgah. The first two years he preached at Pisgah his home was twelve miles distant from the church. He afterwards removed to the neighborhood of Pisgah. The church being too weak to support a minister, in addition to his ministerial duties, Mr. Gallaher devoted his attention to agricultural pursuits. The church numbered only twenty-five members when he became its pastor, but when his long labors of more than thirty-one years were concluded, it numbered about one hundred and fifty members. During that long period the utmost harmony prevailed between the church and its pastor. Under his labors it grew to be the strongest country church within the synod. At the close of his labors, as a testimonial of their love and esteem for their venerable pastor, the church presented to Mr. Gallaher a handsome photograph Bible, with his name and date of presentation engraved thereon, which he will ever keep as a token of their affection for him. Rev. Wm. D. Sanders succeeded Mr. G. as stated supply of Pisgah Church, January 1, 1865, and remained in that capacity until a short time since, when Rev. Thos. Gallaher, a nephew of the subject of this sketch, accepted a call to preach at Pisgah.
Mr. Gallaher and wife had eleven children, two of whom died in infancy; the others reached mature age. Mr. G. has given his children the best education the country would afford. Their eldest son, Thomas, died in the fifteenth year of his age, on October 26, 1852. Their second son, Wm. G. Gallaher, Jr., was a graduate of Illinois College; also of the law school at Albany, N.Y. He was a young man of fine abilities and attainments. He entered into a partnership in the practice of law with Judge Whitlock, and afterwards became a member of the firm of Morrison, Whitlock & Gallaher, of Jacksonville, Ill. He was married February 24, 1870, to Miss Jennie E. Boyle, of Philadelphia, and died October 26 following at Denver, Colorado. After his death an infant son was born, who, should he live, will be the only one left to perpetuate the name. The youngest son, James Allen Gallaher, was a student in Illinois College, where he stood at the head of his Junior Class of 1861-2. Shortly before Commencement day he enlisted in the 68th regiment Illinois volunteers, and after concluding his examinations at school he was mustered into service at Camp Butler, soon after which the regiment was ordered to Washington to help guard the city, and from there to Alexandria, where he was attacked with typhoid fever in its most malignant form, and died August 9, 1862. His was a most triumphant death, for he died with a firm belief in a happy immortality. He was beloved by all for his nobility of heart and many manly and Christian virtues. A beautiful monument is being prepared to mark the resting place of these brothers in Diamond Grove cemetery, in the vicinity of Jacksonville. The names of the daughters in the order of their ages are, Emily, wife of Mr. Wm. Russel, a merchant of Jacksonville, Ill.; Mary, wife of Mr. E. W. Bradley, Jr., also a resident of that city; Margaret K., wife of Mr. Wm. E. Capps, one of the proprietors of the Jacksonville woolen mills; Sarah, wife of Francis A. Riddle, attorney at law in Chicago; and the two younger daughters, Hannah and Lucinda, not married.
Mr. Gallaher still enjoys good health, and possesses much of the energy and fervor of his youth. The partner of his early days is still alive, and they are surrounded by an intelligent and interesting family. Mr. Gallaher is the owner of considerable property in the city and vicinity of Jacksonville, among which is that beautiful building known as "Gallaher's Block." He is a gentleman highly esteemed by all who know him for his generous and Christian benevolence.
BENJAMIN F. GASS was born in Madison county, Kentucky, November 4th, 1807. He was the son of James and Isabel Gass, and the youngest of a family of three children. He was educated in Kentucky, where he learned the carpenter and joiner trade. He settled in Jacksonville March 27th, 1833. Mr. Gass, as a carpenter and builder, and as an architect and superintendent, is well known. He superintended the erection of the Illinois Female College, the State Building for the Education of the Blind, the Centenary M. E. Church, and the Morgan County Court House, views of which are given elsewhere in this work. Mr. Gass is esteemed for his many manly virtues, for his good mechanical taste as an architect, and for his energy of character, which well qualify him for usefulness in the community where he has so long been known as a worthy citizen. A lithograph of his residence, on the corner of East street and Washington Avenue, appears in this work.
Dr. Gillette received his early education in the common schools of his native state. He entered Asbury University at Greencastle, Ind., at the age of fifteen, and graduated at the age of nineteen. He was a teacher in the Indiana State Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb till 1856, when he was called to the position, which he now holds, of superintendent of the Illinois State Institution for the same object. This institution is undoubtedly the best of its kind in the country, and for its present reputation it is largely indebted to Dr. Gillette. He is ably carrying out that liberal system which the people of Illinois, through their representatives, have furnished the means of doing. Its industrial department is among its crowning excellencies. Besides articulation and lip-reading, and all the most recent and valuable improvements in the way of teaching letters and social intercourse, the deaf and dumb are instructed in the trades and occupations. Among the branches taught in this institution are cabinet making, wood turning, shoe making, printing and gardening. Book binding is in contemplation, and will probably be added to the list, with a practical knowledge of telegraphy.
Dr. Gillette was married to Miss Ellen M. Phipps, daughter of Isaac N. Phipps. Of Indianapolis, and by this union has had six children, four of whom are still living. In July, 1871, the title of LL.D. was conferred upon Mr. Gillette, by the institution in which he graduated. Dr. G. has been an efficient worker in the Sabbath School cause both at home and abroad. He is president of the U.S. Sunday-School Association, and presided at the last national convention held at Indianapolis. He is one of the committee to select and recommend a course of study for the Sabbath Schools of America to be adopted for seven years. This committee is composed of ministers and laymen of the several denominations of Christians. Dr. Gillette and his wife are active members of the M. E. Church. Politically, he is a republican. Few men have done more in this portion of the state to elevate the spiritual and mental condition of his fellow men than Dr. Gillette.
L. B. GLOVER was born at Lodi, near Ann Arbor, Michigan February 10th, 1845, and with his father's family came to Jacksonville, Illinois, some two years thereafter, where he has since resided.
In June, 1867, Mr. Glover graduated from the Classical Department of Wabash College, at Crawfordsville, Indiana. In August of the same year, he was appointed city editor of the Jacksonville Daily Journal, and continued in that position until 1868, when he became chief editor of the paper. In 1869, he formed a partnership with Capt. Horace Chapin, and purchased the Journal, of which he has ever since had editorial control. His deep and penetrating editorials, at the head of one of the most important papers in the State, have made his pen a power in the land.
Mr. Glover is a very conscientious, honorable, upright man, always battling for the right, unswerving in his convictions, and devoted and enthusiastic in any cause he undertakes to espouse.
REV. L. M. GLOVER, D.D., Pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Jacksonville, was born in Phelps, Ontario county,
New York, February 21, 1819. He is a son of Philander and Ruhannah (Hall) Glover. He removed to the territory of Michigan, in 1833, with his parents, and pursued his academical education at Western Reserve College, at Hudson, Ohio, where he graduated in 1840. He studied theology at Lane Theological Seminary, Cincinnati. In October, 1842, he was settled as pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Lodi, Mich., and in October, 1848, he took charge of the First Presbyterian Church at Jacksonville. When he became its pastor it was a comparatively weak church, but it has now grown to be the largest of that denomination in the city. The ancestors of the Glover family were English. John and Henry glover settled at Dorchester, Mass., soon after the settlement of Plymouth, and from them sprang the Glover family in America. Mr. Glover was married August 16, 1843, to Miss Marcia Ann Nutting, the
eldest daughter of Prof. Nutting and wife. She was born at Randolph, Vt., Sept. 28, 1821. They have had five children born in Lodi, mich., and Jacksonville, Ill. Their eldest daughter, Mary A., is the wife of Henry R. Mitchel. The other children are single. Mr. Glover has exerted a great influence for good over the moral and religious condition of his people. In 1858 he made a trip abroad, visiting the Holy Land, Egypt, and various countries of western Europe.
JOHN GORDON is a native of Morgan county, Ill., born August 31, 1826. His father, William Gordon, was born in county
Dunegal, Ireland, and he emigrated at an early age to America, landing in St. Louis, in which city, soon after, he commenced clerking in a store. On arriving at the age of manhood, he was married to Miss Nancy Berry, of Madison county, Ill. They had six children - three boys and three girls - one of whom is deceased. Soon after his marriage, Mr. Gordon moved to Morgan county, Ill., purchasing a farm in township 14-11. Farming was his principal vocation, though for three years previous to his death he carried on merchandising at Lynnville. He died in 1839 at the age of thirty-nine. He was a captain in the Black Hawk war; was twice elected by the whig party to the Illinois legislature. His widow is still living, in the enjoyment of good health. Mr. John Gordon received his earliest culture in the schools of Morgan county. He also attended Scott Seminary, at Steubenville, Ohio, two
years. After leaving school, he then devoted his attention to mercantile pursuits, in Lynnville, though at the same time he carried on a farm. Up to the war, Mr. Gordon gave his personal attention to the store; since then has taken a partner, and now devotes his whole attention to farming and stock growing. When twenty-four years of age, Mr. Gordon was married to Miss Sarah Campbell, daughter of Nimrod and Eve Funk, who are old residents of Morgan . Mrs. Gordon is also a native of this county, born October 6, 1830. They are the parents of ten children, three boys and four girls yet living. Mr. Gordon, as a man of business, has been successful. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church at Lynnville. Politically, in early life he was a whig, and was a delegate to the convention which met at Bloomington, and there formed the republican party of Illinois and nominated for governor and lieutenant governor, Bissell and Wood. Mr. Gordon has been a delegate to every state convention since the
organization of the party; was a strong advocate and supporter of John C. Fremont, and voted twice for Lincoln, and once for Grant, and expects to vote for the latter again. In 1860 and 1864 mr. Gordon was a candidate for the legislature, as the nominee of the republican party, and ran largely ahead of the party ticket, though being in a democratic district was of course defeated. Mr. Gordon is also a prominent and consistent worker in the masonic and odd fellows' orders. He is now residing at his beautiful residence, a fine view of which is shown elsewhere in this work.
WM. T. GIVENS was born in Roane county, Tennessee, Feb. 5, 1806. His father and family removed to Madison county,
Tenn., in 1817. William T. came to Morgan county in the fall of 1828, and, after spending about one year in Jacksonville, he returned to his native state. In 1830 he returned to Morgan county, and settled in Franklin, where he became acquainted with Miss Lydia, daughter of Benj. Burch, one of the old settlers, to whom he was married, February 9, 1832. On March 9, 1834, he settled on the northwest quarter of section 8, township 13, range 8, where he still resides with the wife of his early years. They are both enjoying their mental and physical capacities almost unimpaired by age. They have had a family of ten children in the following order of birth, viz: John R. (deceased); Amanda Jane; Mary Ann; Robert S.; Nancy Margaret (deceased); Wm. Thomas; Elizabeth C.; Melissa Louisa (deceased); Emma Helen, and Harriet Maria. Amanda Jane, Elizabeth C. and Mary Ann, are residing with their parents.
Robert S. is settled near his father. Esquire Givens has served the people as constable over twenty years, as deputy sheriff several years, as acting justice of the peace four years, and as assessor for several years - all of which positions he has filled with ability and satisfaction. By his industry, energy, and enterprise, he has done his part in producing the changes that have taken place in Morgan county in the last forty-five years. By an upright life, he has won the respect and confidence of a large circle of friends, who can best appreciate his worth as a moral and worthy citizen.
DAVID GRAFF was born in Maryland in 1781. He was married to Miss Susan Willett, of Kentucky, by whom he had a family of eight children, two sons and six daughters. Three of the daughters are deceased. His marriage took place in Nelson county, Kentucky, to which place he had emigrated in early life, and where he remained till the spring of 1834. He then came to Morgan county, and located four miles east of Jacksonville, where he remained till his death, on the 4th of February, 1850. His wife is still living at the advanced age of eighty years. Mr. Graff was a good citizen, and he has left representatives in his sons who are among the prominent business men of the county.
His son, George Graff (a view of whose residence appears in this work), is dealing in hard and soft lumber, lath shingles, doors, sash, blinds, lime, cement, plaster paris, &c., near the railroad, on North Main street, Jacksonville.
GEORGE W. GRAHAM was born July 18, 1837, in Meredosia, Morgan county, Illinois. He entered McKendree college September 18, 1855, where he continued for three years, teaching during vacations. On his return he became identified with the common school interests, following teaching for about eight years. He also engaged in agriculture which he pursued about three years, when he exchanged it for the mercantile business, in which he is now engaged with his brother-in-law, H. S. Hysinger, in a prosperous and successful trade. An interior view of their store room appears in this work. Mr. Graham is a man of marked energy and intelligence, esteemed by his numerous patrons and acquaintances.