1894 Plat Book of Morgan County Illinois
"Statistics of the Population of Morgan County By Townships, With Abstract of Agricultural Productions"
PROF. EDWARD A. TANNER, A.M., is a native of Waverly, Illinois. He is the youngest child of Jos. A. and Orra Tanner, who are old settlers in Morgan county, though formerly from Warren, Conn. The ancestors of the family were English. They removed to Morgan county about 1834, and located on a farm.
Professor Tanner entered Illinois College at the age of fifteen, and graduated therefrom in 1857, receiving the degree of A. B., and three years after the degree of A. M. was conferred upon him. After finishing his collegiate course he taught in the public schools of Waverly and Jacksonville for a period of three years. He was then called to the professorship of Latin in Pacific University, Oregon, and filled that position four years. In the meantime, having studied theology, he was licensed to preach by the Congregational Association of Oregon in 1864. In 1865 he was appointed Professor of Latin in Illinois College, which position he still holds, and has also officiated four years as chaplain of the Insane Asylum at Jacksonville. As an eminent educator, Prof. Tanner holds a front rank in the state, being a scholar of fine classical culture and solid erudition. He was married June 27, 1861, to Miss Marion L. Brown, daughter of Dr. I. H. Brown of Waverly. Mrs.
Tanner is a native of Waverly. Her parents were formerly from Connecticut. Prof. Tanner and lady have had a family of four children, one of whom is deceased. In politics, the Professor is a republican.
JUDGE WILLIAM THOMAS was born November 22, 1802, in Warren county (now Allen county) Kentucky. He commenced the study
of his profession in the law office of Gov. James T. Morehead, continuing with Hon. J. R. Underwood, at Bowling Green, Ky. He obtained his license as an attorney July 5, 1823, and remained with Mr. Underwood till September, 1826, when he purchased a horse and traveled on horseback through portions of Indiana and Illinois to Jacksonville, where he had concluded to settle, arriving there October 12, 1826. His early written notes of the country through which he traveled and the condition of Jacksonville at that time, would make a volume of great interest to the present people of the west. At that time, Jacksonville contained only eleven families and eight transient persons boarding. The only tavern was kept by a Mr. Teft, with whom Judge Thomas for some time boarded. His first business was an engagement in the village school for three months, being the first term taught in a city where the
lore and patience of thousands have since been taxed and tried. In the summer of 1827, as quartermaster-sergeant in Col. Neal's regiment, he went to Galena to take part in the Winnebago war. He was established in his profession in the spring of 1827, and attended the courts in the first judicial circuit that spring. He was first elected to the state senate in 1834, and re-elected in 1836, but resigned in March, 1839, as he was elected circuit judge of the first judicial circuit, which position he filled two years. In 1841 he resumed the labors of his profession until 1846, when he was elected to the state legislature. He was also one of the delegates elected in 1847 to revise the state constitution. He was again elected to the state legislature. It was during this term, in 1851, that he was appointed trustee to close up the financial affairs of the Bank of Illinois at Shawneetown, which occupied nearly ten years of his subsequent business life. In 1861 he was appointed, by Gov. Yates, one of the
auditors to audit the war accounts, which position he resigned after serving about one year. In 1865 he was appointed by Mrs. Phoebe Strawn to assist her in the administration and settlement of the estate of the late Jacob Strawn, which estate was fully settled up in 1871. Judge Thomas was one of the first trustees of the Illinois Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb, acting from the date of his appointment in 1839 till 1870, with only a short interval - when he was appointed a member of the state board of public charities, which position he resigned a few months after, on account of a severe rheumatic affliction. He was also one of the original board of trustees of the Illinois Female college, established in 1847. He is at this time acting president of the board, a position which he has filled for years. By his munificence, added to that of others, this is one of the literary institutions which not only adorn the city of Jacksonville, but enhance the moral and intellectual interests of the
country. Judge Thomas was also one of the first trustees of the Illinois State Hospital for the Insane, which position he resigned after two years. Few of the pioneers of Morgan county or the state have been called to fill so many public offices of trust or responsibility, or have served the public with more efficiency, than Judge Thomas. He was married in March, 1830, to Miss Catherine Scott, formerly of New York. Mrs. Thomas is a worthy and devout Christian woman, who is making the service of her Divine Master the great work of her benevolent life. They have had one child, which died in infancy. Mr. T., as well as his wife, has been an active and prominent member of the M. E. Church for over thirty-four years. He was sent as a lay delegate to the general conference in the spring of 1872, and was called to act on some of the committees of that body. His mental faculties are almost unimpaired by age. He is today a wise, benevolent, and useful citizen, respected and beloved by all who know him.
JUDGE ANDREW J. THOMPSON was born in Hamilton county, Ohio, December 9, 1815. He emigrated with his father, Bernard
Thompson, and family, in the fall of 1834, settling first in Jacksonville, where he followed his trade, carriage making, for a short time, when he removed to Bethel, and conducted the same business till 1851. He then engaged in milling, wool carding, farming, and dealing in real estate, to which he also added, in 1855, mercantile business, in the well known firm of Clark & Thompson. He also commenced farming on the farm where he now resides in 1860, which business he has followed in connection with the other branches above mentioned to the present time. Judge Thompson has served the people as justice of the peace ten years, as associate judge of the county court four years, and as postmaster for over thirty-one years. Few, if any, of the citizens of Morgan county have held responsible offices longer, or filled them better, than Judge Thompson. He was married to Miss Mary Jane Whitaker, of
Kentucky, July 19, 1839. He has ten children - five sons and five daughters - all living; viz.: L. O., present wife of Capt. Henry White of Exeter, Illinois; Emma, wife of Milton Engleman, of Carrollton, Illinois (now residing in Colorado); Lewis C., Julia Kate, Eveline, Leona, Frank L., Charles, Arthur E., and Harry, living with their parents. A tree standing a few rods east of Judge Thompson's residence (planted by his father), now measures over thirteen feet in circumference. Judge Thompson is one of the prominent citizens of Morgan county, known and respected by a large circle of friends and acquaintances, not only in the county, but throughout the "military tract."
JAMES B. THOMPSON, the oldest son of Bernard Thompson, was born September 17, 1810, in Brown county, Ohio. He emigrated to Morgan county in the fall of 1834, and settled north of Jacksonville where he remained three years. He moved to Greene county, where he resided two years, after which he returned and settled in Bethel, Morgan county, where he followed blacksmithing for about three years. He settled on the northeast quarter of section 32, township 16, range 12, where he now resides. Mr. Thompson was married May 1, 1834, to Miss Mary McGuier, of Hamilton county, Ohio. Three of his children died in infancy; the six now living are as follows, in order of birth: Clark, now at the Normal School, Bloomington; Mary, wife of John T. Crawford, of Chapin; Sarah, wife of Adolphus McPherson, residing near Perry; and Elvira and Owen residing with their parents. Mr. Thompson, as an old and upright citizen, is highly esteemed by all who have the pleasure of his acquaintance.
OLNEY TINKNOR was born in Oneida county, New York, February 15, 1796. He was married to Miss Mary P. Richards, of Broome county, New York, January 3, 1819. Of eight children, three died in infancy, and four are still living, viz: Harriet, wife of John C. Bozarth; Lawrence, of Macon county, Illinois; Elias W. and Henry H., residing on the old homestead. Mr. Tinknor came from Lisle, Broome county, New York, and settled in Morgan county in July, 1823, where he still resides, enjoying mental and physical vigor unusual for one of his age. He has lived for nearly fifty years a witness of, and a participant in, the changes wrought in the county; having aided, by an active and well-spent life, in the development. He holds a prominent place in the affections of those who know him.
JOHN TRABUE was born in Adair county, Kentucky, December 25th 1814. He is the fourth child of a family of ten children. His parents, Robert and Lucy Trabue, were both natives of the "Old Dominion." His father's ancestors were French, being of those who, inconsequence of the religious persecutions in the time of the Huguenots, left Europe and settled in America. Mr. Robert Trabue received his education in Kentucky, where, in his early life, his parents had removed. He was married to Miss Lucy Wagoner. He removed, with his family, in 1833, and settled in the present limits of Brown county, Illinois. He followed farming as a business through his long and active life, which closed, at his residence, in 1860. His wife survived him two years.
John Trabue received his early education in the common schools of Montgomery County, Tennessee, where his parents settled first after leaving Kentucky. He obtained a good business education; when, at the age of seventeen, he engaged in clerking in a store in Dover (known now as Fort Donaldson), where he remained two years. He then removed to Nashville, Tennessee, where he remained till 1837. He came to Mt. Sterling, Brown county, Illinois, and opened a store, in 1837, where he remained two years. He was married, in February, 1838, to Miss Caroline, daughter of Robert Fish, of Scott county, Kentucky. They have had a family of seven children, four of whom are still living. In 1846, Mr. Trabue moved to Meredosia, where he opened a store, and continued in successful business till 1856, when he removed to Jacksonville, where he engaged in merchandise till the fall of 1861. He was then elected to the office of county clerk, of Morgan county,
which office he now holds, having been elected three terms, and in which he has given universal satisfaction. Mr. Trabue, politically, was a whig till that party was disorganized, since which he has been strongly identified with the democratic party. His continuance in his present position is a mark of the high appreciation his fellow citizens have for him as a business man and an efficient officer. Mr. Trabue began life with small means, but he has achieved success by strict attention to business. He has given his children the advantages of a good education. They are all married but one. He is a self-made, upright business man, and has the esteem of his fellow citizens in an imminent degree; being always obliging, affable, and courteous to all who have business or social relations with him.
ANDREW J. TURNER, the oldest son of John Turner, was born in Madison county, Illinois, December 18, 1814. His father was a native of Madison county, Kentucky, born December 18, 1791, being just twenty-three years older than his son Andrew. He settled in Madison county, Illinois, in the fall of 1810, at which time Madison county covered more than one-third of the territory of Illinois. Here he was married, April 17, 1811, to Miss Ruth Downing. Mr. Turner was actively engaged as one of the Illinois Rangers during the war of 1812, having an active service of over three years. Mr. Turner had a family of seven sons and four daughters, all living except two sons who died in infancy, and Mary, wife of Wm. McLain, Andrew J., Israel, William D., Almira C., present wife of John D. McMahan, and Alfred B., are citizens of Waverly. Rev. Joel, Isa, and Elizabeth, present wife of W. W. Hilton, are citizens of Virden, Illinois. Nancy, present wife of Americus Blaney, is a citizen of Macoupin County. Mr. John Turner and wife died at their residence, where they settled in the fall of 1828, which was the east half of the northwest quarter of section 21, township 13, range 8, which he entered, and on which he made the first improvement. The subject of this sketch came to the county with his father, and has resided on the same farm ever since, which is near where his father first settled. He was married November 12, 1836, to Miss Eliza M., daughter of Hezekiah Russell, a citizen of Waverly. He has only one daughter living, Elizabeth, wife of S. S. Hilton, of Waverly, and two died in infancy. Mr. A. J. Turner is one of the pioneers of Morgan county, now in the prime of life, respected by all with whom he is acquainted.
PROF. J. B. TURNER is a native of Templeton, Worcester county, Massachusetts, born December 7th, 1805. He is the sixth child of Asa and Nabby Turner, who had a family of four sons and four daughters. The ancestral descent on the paternal side was German, and on the maternal side Nabby Baldwin was a lineal descendant of the Baldwins who figured in the Roman empire in the middle ages. Three Turner brothers were passengers on board the "Mayflower", and from them sprang the Turner family in America. Soon after landing at Plymouth, one settled in Connecticut, one in Rhode Island, and the direct ancestor of Prof. Turner settled in Massachusetts. One characteristic feature of the Turner family was their love for farming and enterprise in subduing new countries. Agricultural pursuits seemed to elicit their most earnest attention. Asa Turner was a man who was distinguished for his fearlessness and straight-forward honesty in all his transactions. His father, Edward turner, while a young man, settled in Templeton, where he improved a farm, and on the breaking out of the revolutionary war, he entered the army as an officer. He participated in the battle of Bunker Hill, and other engagements. He died while the forces were stationed at Saratoga, leaving his widow with several small children on the farm. Thus it will be seen that Asa Turner was thrown on his own resources very young. His mother was a woman of extraordinary force, both of mind and body. Prof. Turner's time was spent principally upon his father's farm until the age of fifteen, when he entered, as a student, the Academy at Amherst, remained at the institution only one term, after which he worked at farming in the summer and taught during the winter months. At about the age of twenty-two, he entered Yale College graduating therefrom in the class of 1832. Before receiving his diploma Mr. Turner was selected as teacher in Illinois College, Jacksonville, and a short time after was elected Professor of Rhetoric and Elocution. He remained a Professor in that institution for a period of fifteen years. He was married October 22, 1835, to Miss Rodolphia Kibbe, of Somers, Connecticut. They have had a family of six sons and one daughter. In the education of his children prof. Turner has united physical and mental culture, believing that in order to attain the highest development, it is necessary to unite physical and intellectual attainments. His children are graduates of the several institutions which they have attended, excepting the youngest son, who has not yet completed his education. Their eldest son, R. K. Turner, is practicing law at Quincy, Illinois.
In politics Prof. Turner became an early advocate of the free soil party. Between him and the illustrious Lincoln there existed a life-long personal friendship, and during the late rebellion he remained a firm supporter of the Union cause. The Professor says that when he came to Illinois, strictly speaking, he was in debt for his education, in part, and the success of his life is the result of his own indefatigable exertions. He has acquired a handsome competence, and now owns two thousand acres of valuable land in Illinois. After dissolving his connection with Illinois College, he turned his attention to farming, and for a period of about ten years worked habitually in the fields during the day, and in the evenings attended to his correspondence and reading matter. Religiously, although from early life a regular communicant in the orthodox churches, he has ever been most strenuously opposed to all sects, creeds, denominations, and
division, of whatever sort, in the church of Christ. The Professor is now residing at his beautiful residence, surrounded by an interesting family. A fine view of his place will be shown elsewhere in this work.
HON. ISIAH TURNEY was born December 15th, 1800, in Warren county, Kentucky. He came to Wayne county, Illinois, in 1818, where, after a residence of sixteen years, he moved to Macoupin county, Illinois, remaining there until 1848, when he settled in Waverly, where he now resides. He was married to Miss Judah Lee, of Kentucky, July 27th, 1820. By this union he had eleven children, eight of whom are now living. Of these are Ellen, present wife of James Samples, of Waverly, and Asa, who is residing with his father. Notwithstanding mr. Turney graduated as a physician, he has followed agriculture, except in his official positions as justice of the peace, postmaster, and as a representative in the state legislature one term (1861-62). Mr. Turney has long been respected by his fellow-citizens, whom he has tried to serve faithfully in all the trusts they have conferred upon him. He has the sympathy of his friends in the domestic afflictions which he has been called to pass through.
was born in Lawrence county, Illinois, January 1, 1819. He came to Morgan county with his mother, Jane B., relict of the late John Eads, who is living with her son, Thomas, in Waverly, where he has resided since 1849 (having formerly lived in Jacksonville, and on Apple Creek, from 1827 to 1849). Mr. Turney was married, November 10th, 1841, to Miss Harriet B., daughter of William Massie, of Franklin. By this union he has four children: Alice E., residing with her parents; Clara J., relict of Dr. J. W. Meacham, Albert L., on his father's farm, in Sangamon County; and Ida M., at home with her parents. Mr. Turney is one of those energetic and persevering men, who appear to realize the power and possibilities of human accomplishment. He followed blacksmithing for over twenty years, when he devoted his attention to farming and stock growing, but latterly to stock dealing. He is respected for his probity and upright dealing, by all who know him. He has been an active, industrious citizen
of Morgan county for over forty-five years, and is still in the prime of manhood, capable of further bearing his share in the future development of the industrial interests of his county and state.
NAPOLEON B. VANWINKLE was born November 11, 1802, in Wayne County, Kentucky, where, as a farmer, he remained till the fall of 1831, when he came to Morgan county, Illinois. He settled, about one year after, on section 29, township 14, range 8, where he has since resided. He was married November 27, 1832, to Miss Sarah Crow, of Pike county, Mo. They have had eleven children, six of whom are now living, viz: Micajah, now residing in Sangamon county; Elizabeth, Martin A., Rhoda L., Henry L., and Jacob E., all residing with their parents. Mr. Van Winkle has been for many years an active member of the M. E. church. He is one of the substantial pioneers of the county, who, by an active life and the influence of a good example, has added much to the welfare of the community in which, for nearly forty years, he has acted a conspicuous part as a citizen.
GEORGE C. VAUGHAN - The subject of this article was born in Dinwiddie county, Virginia, within six miles of Petersburg,
on the 6th of April, 1816. John Elliott Vaughan, the father of the above, was a farmer and carpenter, and had been a resident of the county many years. He was a revolutionary soldier, and his career under Washington's command was one well worthy of mention. Mr. Vaughan lived to see the weak colonies become mighty states, and the people advancing in art, science and literature. He felt amply rewarded for all his toil, when he beheld the result of the war for independence. The road on which he resided was called the Vaughan road, on account of the many families of that name residing on the same. George, we might observe, had no advantages whatever for obtaining an education. The nearest school house was over four miles distant, and the walk was too extended for his tender years. When quite young his father removed to Kentucky and settled in Logan county. This section was improved to
some extent, and contained an energetic and industrious population. Now and then a deer could be seen, but most of the game had retired to more distant regions. After living in the state several years, his father died at the age of forty-five, and George was forced to seek for a home among strangers. The man with whom he went to live, agreed to cloth and school George until he was of age. They neglected their charge in every respect save one, and that was, to employ him at hard labor from early dawn till late of night. One morning on his way to feed the stock, he followed the road leading to Todd county, and left his hard master to regret the loss of the industrious orphan boy whom he had treated so severely. George remained in Todd county a short time, and meeting two men by the names of Lyon and Horn, enroute with a drove of sheep for Illinois, entered into a contract with them to assist in driving the stock. He went with them as far as Carlinville. George commenced a journey on foot for Quincy, but
meeting his brother near Columbus, Adams county, he remained with him for several years. Mr. Vaughan hauled the first load of logs used in constructing a cabin at Columbus. Mr. V. arrived in Adams county during the fall before the deep snow. Here, in this county, the storms were of the same severe character as in Morgan. Many of the people were forced to dig out of their cabins. Mr. V. drove an ox team over a stake and rider fence. These circumstances illustrate somewhat the depth of the snow in that locality. Mr. V. came to Morgan county, in 1837, and immediately engaged in working for the farmers. About seventeen years ago he purchased his present homestead, to which he has added at various times, until now in Arcadia and vicinity, he possesses over four hundred acres of choice land. Mr. V. was married in 1839, to Miss Rachel Gwynn, a daughter of Jacob Gwynn, of Morgan county. Mrs. Vaughan, died about twelve years ago, leaving five children. He was again married in 1860, to Miss Margaret
Campbell, daughter of Peter Lyle Campbell of Schuyler county. Mr. Campbell was an old settler, having lived in the state several years. Mr. Vaughan seems in the prime of life, as he attends regularly to all the labor incidental to a farm. He is possessor of strong convictions, and is ever ready to assert the same on all proper occasions. His energy of character added to his industry has made his life a successful one. He can contemplate with joy, the change in his condition since a poor orphan boy when he started on his journey to the prairie state.
WILLIAM C. VERY. - How varied and momentous are the incidents of the life of a single individual! The active hand and brain of even three score years, with the relations of public and social life, leaves an historic impress upon which the reflective mind may ponder with profit and interest. >From the history of individual acts we learn how one relation becomes closely identified with others; blending two lives into one, and from which spring other intelligences to further enlarge the historic page, either with the splendid embellishments of a virtuous and holy life, or with the blots and blemishes of a career of folly and vice. In the history of a single life we may also contemplate the growth and increase of communities, the birth of states, and the great moral and political revolutions cotemporary with an individual. The march of mind, the development of the material world, and the rapid strides of the arts and sciences, thus far since the commencement of the nineteenth century, would open a theme of historic interest and value unequaled in the past annals of the world. There are connected with the subject of this sketch persons living today, whose lives, in point of years, are coequal with the life and history of our nation.
William C. Very was living under the administration of "The Father of his Country," and his wife's father, who is now living, commenced life before the adoption of the Federal constitution, and before the first President was inaugurated. How bold, how grand the comparison of the life of the aged veteran whose earthly career began in the past, anterior to the constitutional history of our great Republic. The one is a unit of mind and individual action, while the other is the great mass of integral individualities, blended into a sacred political oneness, for the benefit of each, and for the protection of all. While we love our country, we can but have a reverence for the memory of our sires departed, and rejoice to meet the occasional living representatives of the age when our national bark was launched on the almost unnavigated sea of popular sovereignty.
The subject of this sketch was born in the city of Boston, Massachusetts, May 30, 1795. His father, William Very, was also a citizen of Massachusetts, identified with the country during the revolutionary struggle. He was married to Miss Mercy Wiswall, and they had a family of six children, one son and five daughters, who reached years of maturity. William C. Very was a grandson of William Codington, of Rhode Island, whose name he bears. He was married, at the age of twenty-two, to Miss Lucinda Horton, of Norton, Massachusetts, by whom he had eight children, two of whom are deceased. Soon after his marriage he emigrated to Illinois, arriving in the state in the fall of 1822, and remaining over the first winter in Bond county. In the spring fo 1823 he came to Morgan county, and settled two and a half miles south of the present site of Jacksonville. When the land came into market he entered that on which he now resides. His wife died in August, 1831. He became acquainted with Mrs. Lydia W. Holmes, to whom he was afterwards married. Mrs. Holmes is the daughter of Silas Massy, who was among the early citizens of the county. Mrs. Lydia Very was born in Windsor county, Vermont, September 24, 1809. Her father (Silas Massy) was born in Salem, New Hampshire, April 1, 1786. When he was about two years of age, his parents moved to Windsor county, Vermont, where he was married, in 1807, to Miss Fannie Farnsworth, daughter of Stephen Farnsworth. Mr. Massy had a family of four children, three of whom are yet living. He removed, in the year 1810, to St. Lawrence county, New York, which was at that time almost an unbroken wilderness. On the breaking out of the war of 1812, he, as captain of militia, was called to the service, and was mostly engaged on the frontier, spending one winter at French's Mills, on the Canadian border. After the war he turned his attention to clearing up his farm, excessive physical labors of which impaired his health and constitution to the extent that he was induced to turn his attention to sock dealing, a business in which he was quite successful; acquiring a good capital for that early day. He went into partnership with a man who cheated him out of all he had acquired. In 1820 he started for the far west, and, after a trip of fourteen weeks on a flat boat, from Olean Point down the Allegheny and Ohio rivers, he arrived in St. Charles, Missouri, where he settled, in the fall of the same year. He remained till the fall of 1829, when he settled on land which he had previously purchased, two miles southwest of Jacksonville, in section 25, township 15, range 11. He had previously made some improvements on this farm, on which he still lives, being undoubtedly the oldest man at this time in Morgan county. When Mr. Massy came to Morgan county, he was comparatively poor, but possessing that energy which characterized many of the old pioneer settlers in the west, he succeeded in acquiring a good home and a comfortable competence. He has one of the valuable farms of the county, containing over a section (644 acres) of land. His business through life has been farming, and he has generally had a model farm in the several communities in which he has resided. His wife died August 7, 1871. They had lived together nearly sixty-five years, sharing each other's joys and sorrows during the most eventful period of their lives, when they were pioneers to the wilds of western New York, and subsequently making homes in the states of Missouri, Wisconsin, and Illinois. Three of their four children have families, and they have now living thirty-four great-grandchildren. Politically, Mr. Massy was a member of the whig party, and was a great admirer of the great champion of American industry, Henry Clay, for whom he always voted at all the presidential elections since Jefferson's time. He voted twice for Mr. Lincoln, with whom he was personally acquainted. He voted for U. S. Grant, and looks forward to the 5th of November, 1872, when he can give his ballot once more for the illustrious General. He has been a man of uncommon activity and power of endurance; and even now, at the age of eighty-six, he is enjoying good health, walks with an elastic step, and is able to superintend his farm. His three children are all residing near him. He is held in very high esteem by a large circle of acquaintances.
Mrs. Very, the daughter of Mr. Massy, is a woman of good colloquial powers and refined taste, though her educational advantages in early youth were not as good as those of the present time. She has, however, by devoting the hours of leisure to study and reading, acquired ability to converse intelligently on a great variety of the literary topics. Mrs. Very, by her first husband, had three daughters; two of them are married; one is the wife of Rev. J. T. Dixon, now residing in Nebraska; the other the wife of Hon. William Strawn, of Livingston county, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Very have had a family of three children, two of whom are deceased. The one living is the wife of Wilton Sibert, residing two miles south of Jacksonville. Mr. Sibert is largely engaged in rearing blooded Durham stock. (A view of his residence and stock farm will appear elsewhere). Mr. Very and wife raised an adopted child, John Butcher, who enlisted, and after serving
faithfully in the army during the rebellion, was honorably discharged, and is located on his farm, in Kansas, where he is living, with a fair prospect of future usefulness. Their son, Oliver Very, also served three years in the late war, and made a faithful record in the defense of his country. Mr. and Mrs. Very are among the most highly respected citizens of the county in which they have resided for nearly fifty years.
WILLIAM J. WACKERLE, M.D., was born in Baden, Germany, February 23, 1819. He went through his medical course and
graduated at the University of Heidelberg in 1839, and soon after emigrated to this country. He settled in St. Louis, and followed his profession until July, 1845, when he moved to Meredosia, where he now resides. He was married February 19, 1843, to Miss Susan F. Anderson, of Fauquie county, Virginia. He has five children, all living, viz: William F., Charles J., Louis J., Edward J., and Fannie E., all of whom are now residing with their parents. Dr. Wackerle has followed his profession since he first came to the county. He has also one of the most prominent graparies in the county; his vineyard contains about four thousand vines. His wine is of a good quality, some varieties, including Concord stock, unsurpassed in the state. He has given some attention to bee-keeping, and as an apiarian has few if any equals in the county. He is esteemed for his skill in his profession, and for his good
qualities as a citizen.
DANIEL WALDO was born in Cheshire county, New Hampshire, January 6, 1802. Boot and shoe making, teaching, and itinerant
trading was the early business of his life. He was married to Miss Mariah T. Baker, July 18, 1831. He had, by this union, Mabel Rebecca, wife of Capt. Thomas White, who was killed at Dallas, Ga., while commanding the 116th regiment Illinois volunteers. Mrs. White is now residing at Maroa, Ill. His second child, Sarah, died in infancy, and his wife died September 8, 1834. Mr. Waldo came to Meredosia in October, 1831, and his family in November of the next year. He was again married, March 31, 1836, to Miss Emily Fox, from Batavia, N.Y. He had, by this marriage, Maria E., present wife of Burrett Allen, of Ogden, Utah; Eveline, wife of Thos. J. Ward, of Fall City, Nebraska; James D., a citizen of Meredosia; Alber M., residing with his father, and Mary Rosella, who died in infancy. His wife died January 23, 1855. He was again married, to Mary Jane Thomas, formerly of Columbus, Ohio,
July 5, 1859. He has, by this marriage, only one child, Miss Nellie, now residing with her parents. Esq. Waldo, with his brothers, James E. and George C., commenced merchandising in Meredosia. He erected the first steam saw mill in the present limits of Morgan county, and, soon after, the first steam flouring mill and distillery on a large scale, which interests he disposed of about twenty-two years ago. He has devoted his energies to the improvement of his property for some years past, and also serving the people as acting justice of the peace for many years, and as postmaster for nearly twenty years. Stephen A. Douglas, at the Sherman House, in Chicago, declared that Esq. Waldo was the first man that shook hands with him in the state of Illinois. The first railroad of any importance built in the state was the road from Springfield to the Illinois river. Mr. Waldo and others took the contract to grade it from Illinois river east several miles to Vangandy's. When the grand and imposing ceremony of
first breaking ground on the first railroad in the state was inaugurated, Esq. Waldo was appointed to throw the first shovel full of dirt. Some few of the old citizens then present are still living; but not one of them then thought that in less than thirty years Illinois would stand at the head of the list with over 7,000 miles of railroad completed. Esq. W. opened the first store in Mt. Sterling, Brown county, in the fall of 1831. The record of an active life of over forty years cannot, in our limits have more than a partial notice; but we will remark that, as an upright, public spirited man, Mr. Waldo has no superior, and is highly esteemed by a large circle of friends and acquaintances. A view of his residence, and of Smith's Hotel (A. Smith, proprietor), which he at present owns, appear elsewhere in this work.
JOHN WALIHAN was born in Fairfield, Columbiana county, Ohio, January 16, 1815. He followed merchandising in his early
life. He was married April 15, 1841, to Miss Emily E. Folsom, and settled in Bethel, Morgan county, Illinois, where he continued about nine years. He removed to Arcadia in 1850, where he continued in business one year. He removed to Meredosia (his present residence) in the spring of 1852, where he continued in his mercantile pursuits, to which he added a large trade in grain, being about seven years in partnership with General Grierson, before 1861, at which time the firm of Grierson & Walihan (owing to misfortunes in their business) were under the necessity of making an assignment. Since then Mr. W. has not engaged extensively in any business, but has acted a conspicuous part as justice of the peace. He has had by his first wife ten children, all deceased except one son, John, now residing in Arenzville, Cass county. Mr. Walihan was married to his second wife, Miss Susan Freeman, of
Meredosia, in December, 1861, and by this union has had four children: two have died in infancy, the others (Stella and Effie) are now living with their parents. We may safely predict that Miss Stella, though now only six years of age, bids fair in the future to become a scholar of superior attainments. Esq. Walihan has passed through severe personal afflictions, having been called upon to mourn the death of twelve members of his own family; but, like one of old, he has sustained his integrity in all his losses. He is one of the honored and esteemed citizens of Morgan county.
ELLIS WILCOX - This gentleman, a brief sketch of whose history appears below, was born in 1792, about six miles south of
Nashville, Tennessee. When six years of age, his father, John Wilcox, emigrated to Logan county, Ky. Afterwards a portion of this county was cut off, and termed "Simpson" county. He was married to Ann Lewis, daughter of Nehemiah Lewis, an old citizen of Simpson county. He died at Carlinville, Macoupin county, several years ago. His schooling comprised only a few days. Those institutions of learning were extremely limited in numbers, and were situated at points too far distant for Ellis to attend a sufficient length of time to gain an adequate idea of more than the rudiments of the English language. Ellis was learned in the science of distilling, and worked for a long time at this branch of trade in Warren county. He has had eight children, viz: Lucy, now Mrs. Thomas Ray; Thoms, married to Ann Ruble; Josiah, married to Fannie Patterson; John, married to Fannie Scott; and Charles,
married to Caroline Caruthers. The remaining three children are dead. Mr. Wilcox came to this county the same day that General Jackson was re-elected President. He entered considerable land at that time. Since then he has added much land by purchase, besides deeding to his boys several fine farms. He is now in his eightieth year, and, to judge from his activity, we should imagine him much younger. He is a good shot with a rifle, and, with the greatest ease can bring down the squirrel from his lofty seat on the topmost branch of the forest tree. His robust health is evidence of the temperate and frugal habits of his early life. Now that he has exceeded in years "the allotted time of man - three score years and ten." he seems to possess more manly strength and vigor than we are accustomed to see indicated in the actions of our middle-aged men of the present generation. His children possess the enterprise and industry of their esteemed father. The sons are noted as enterprising and straightforward
business men, and the old pioneer can look with pleasure upon their actions and characters. His aged wife, too, puts to shame many of the young ladies of the present generation, by the amount of labor she performs during the day. That this noted couple may live to enjoy good health many years more, is the earnest prayer of all. A good lesson can be drawn from the life of Mr. Wilcox for the instruction of all in temperate and frugal habits of life. By this means, the longevity of the present generation could be increased, and we, like the subject of this sketch, would be spared till a good old age. We can, however, copy his honesty and integrity of purpose, as well as his industry and enterprise.
REV. GEORGE C. WOOD. - Among the early settlers of the west, the Rev. George C. Wood is well known, both in Missouri
and Illinois, having been a resident of the west for forty-two years. Mr. Wood was born in the city of New York, May 20, 1805. He graduated at Williams College in 1827, and at Auburn Theological Seminary in 1830. In 1830 he came west, and first settled at St. Charles, Missouri. After remaining here two years he accepted the offer of a Professorship in Marion College. In 1838 he came to Illinois, and after preaching at several places, he removed to Jacksonville, where he still resides. In his ecclesiastical relations Mr. Wood is a Presbyterian, and became a member of the Synod of Illinois at its organization, in 1831; the Synod then embracing the states of Illinois and Missouri, and all the territory west and north. And of all the original members of that synod he is the only one living in the state. With the toils and privations, the joys and pleasures of a pioneer life, he has had full
experience; and in laying the foundation for this and coming generations has been permitted to do his part, and having witnessed the progress, he is now beholding a consummation which he and his colleagues did not anticipate.
JUDGE SAMUEL WOOD was born in Madison county, Ky., October 16, 1813. He is the oldest son of Richard Wood, who was a native of Amherst county, Virginia, and who emigrated to Madison county, Ky., in 1806. He was married to Miss Celia Gregory, several years before he left Virginia. He had by this union ten children, four of whom died in youth; the others, in after life, became citizens of Morgan county. They were, in the order of their birth: Nancy, deceased, former wife of Andrew Samples, now residing near Waverly; Jane, deceased, former wife of Robert Hardin, of California; Polly, present wife of Nathan Moore, of La Plata, Mo.; Samuel, the subject of this sketch residing on Section 16, township 14, range 9; James, of Labette county, Kansas; Rebecca, deceased, former wife of James Antyl (probably Antle) of Morgan county. Mr. Wood's first wife died in Madison county, Ill., in November, 1819. He was again married, in 1821, to Mrs. Hessie Conlee, relict of Rev. John Conlee. He settled on Section 9, township 14, range 9, in March, 1826.
Mr. Wood was one of the pioneers of Morgan county, who, by a practical industry and moral life, was an ornament to the early community in which he lived, and a blessing to his family. His wife died in September, 1861. Mr. Wood died June 20th, 1865. They were both esteemed for their many virtues. The subject of this sketch first settled on Section 16, in the township where he now resides. He purchased, entirely on credit, forty acres, in 1837, which he has from time to time increased, until, at this present, he has nearly three thousand acres of land, being the largest improved farm in the county. True, Judge Wood had but a small financial capital with which to begin life, but he possessed that which was more valuable; viz.: an enduring basis of moral principles, with an energy untiring and persistent, which, combined, have not only made him a good farmer, but a useful citizen. He is strictly a self made man. His education is practical, and he possesses those business qualification which insure success. His citizenship outranks the state, as he became a citizen of Illinois one year before it was admitted to the Union. He has devoted an active and industrious life, thus far, to the developing of a county and state which take pride in claiming him as one of their prominent and useful citizens. He was married January 5, 1831, to Mrs. Martha Smith, relict of Harvy Smith, by which union he had eight children, in the following order of birth: viz.: James, both March 16, 1833, residing two miles east of his father; Elizabeth, born September 24, 1835, who died July 27, 1844; David, born April 4, 1838, residing three miles east of his father; Milton, born September, 4, 1839, residing five miles west of Springfield; Iven, born February 24, 1841, residing near his father; George, born December 9, 1842, also residing near his father; Julia A., born June 17, 1847, present wife of James B. Beekman, residing near her father; and Richard S., born October 20, 1851, now residing with his parents.
Judge Wood and his wife are still living in the enjoyment of mental and physical strength almost unimpaired by age, and they may still remain for years a blessing to their family and to the community of which, for so many years, they have been active and useful members. Mr. Wood was elected Associate Judge of the County Court, in November, 1869, which position he fills with ability, and satisfactorily to his fellow citizens. He, like his father before him, has made farming and stock growing a specialty.
MASON F. WOODS was born in Simpson county, Kentucky, September 24, 1810, and followed agriculture in early life.
He settled, in the winter of 1834, about three miles northwest of Waverly (Shirtliff Point), Morgan county, where he followed farming about four years, when he sold his farm, and, in 1838, opened a store two miles west of Waverly (at Appalonia), where he continued four years. In addition to his merchandising he was also engaged in farming and stock dealing; which business he has since represented on a large scale. He was one of the pioneers in stock dealing - a business which today has become quite prominent, and has many able representatives in Morgan county. Mr. Woods was married, January 26, 1837, to Miss Sarah Y. Chestnut, of Todd county, Kentucky. They have five children now living, viz: James Jefferson, residing in his father's neighborhood; Martha Elizabeth Ellen, wife of William L. Chambers; Eva A., and Emma S., both residing with their parents. Mason and Katie both died in infancy,
and Giles P. was killed, in his thirteenth year, by a stroke of lightening. Mr. Woods, as one of the upright, substantial business men of Morgan county has the esteem of a large circle of friends and acquaintances. He is one who, by an industrious life, has shown the possibilities of human accomplishment. His farm, one mile north of Waverly, is among the best in the county. With all his capabilities for usefulness unimpaired, he may still live for years, a blessing to the community in which, as a Christian man and citizen, he has so long been prominent.
JOHN WILEY WRIGHT (LATE OF Wright'S precinct). - The Wright family were originally from the Carolinas. They removed to Tennessee during the war of 1812, and settled in Dixon county, where John Wiley Wright was born on the 15th of March, 1816. The country was rough and broken, and it seemed almost an impossibility to obtain a sufficient quantity of tillage land. The subject of this article, as a boy, was accustomed to the severe task of cleaning this wood land. His advantages for education were those obtained in a new and thinly populated country. The teachers were usually of the same character as the building, which was in common places called a school house. The youth were sadly neglected, the course of study being very crude, and the term being of unsatisfactory continuance as regards any lasting results. At the age of fifteen his parents removed to Illinois, and located in Sangamon county, near the city of Springfield. They remained there two years and then came to Morgan county, and located in the southern portion of the same. This precinct was called Wright, on account of this family being among the first and most prominent of those engaged in settling the same. In this county Wiley attended school for a limited period owing to the amount of labor required from his immature hands, he did not or, at least, could not avail himself of the advantages of the course of instruction. In after-life, it was a source of sincere regret that he was not better versed in the studies of our common schools. At the age of twenty-two he was married to Miss Eliza E. Wyatt, daughter of Edward Wyatt, an old resident of Wright's precinct. Mr. Wyatt was a contemporary with the Wrights and was prominently identified with all the interests of that section of Morgan county. Mr. Wyatt was engaged for a short time in the so called "Mormon war." The disturbance was soon quelled, and he returned to his home uninjured. About 1860, Mrs. Margaret Wright, the mother of Wiley, died. She was a firm, decided woman, who was worthy of being the wife of that veteran pioneer, John Wright. Mr. John Wiley Wright first improved some of his father's land, but afterwards removed to section thirteen, having purchased a fine body of land situated therein. At the time of his death, January 18th, 1866, he possessed a fine farm of over three hundred acres. Thus in his fiftieth year passed away one of the most enterprising and public spirited citizens of Morgan county. As a kind and sympathetic neighbor he was well known among the first families, his hand ever being open to assist the needy and distressed, while his house often sheltered the traveler caught in one of our fierce rain or snow storms.
Few of us to-day fully appreciate the trials and labors incident to the first settlement of a new country. Without the many comforts and conveniences which colonies possess to-day on entering some lately developed territory, the pioneer, at that time relied on mother earth for the necessities of life in lieu of the luxuries of modern times. Thus under many hardships, their diet consisting of plain and homely fare, they exhibited such heroism as the world had been wont to swell upon, and to regard with mingled sentiments of surprise and admiration. Mr. Wright was regarded as among the most industrious and enterprising of those brave men who at the period were laying the foundation of Morgan county's future greatness. It would be a great pleasure to-day to read the complete history of the doings of the settlers prior to the "deep snow." The student is accustomed to admire the classic verse in which are depicted the labors of Eneas and his brave Trojans while endeavoring to found a state; so we love to read the scanty records of those times when the fate of Illinois seemed trembling in the balance, and the settlement of old Morgan appeared to be postponed till some more favorable period. No Virgil has portrayed their trials in heroic metre. No muse has sung of their achievements, but yet, we trust that their names and their memories are stamped upon the hearts of the present generation never to be effaced. It has been said that "republics are ungrateful," and that the time will come when the names of Wright and other pioneers will become obsolete, but we feel confident that the people of this section will never forget how much they are indebted to those brave men who planted the standard of civilization in the wilderness and transmitted the heritage of liberty, pure and undefiled, to the present generation. Mr. Wright was a man of character and public spirit, who foresaw in a measure, the future Morgan, and endeavored to promote the interests of education and the church, in every way, and upon all occasions. To him the character of the people was of more moment than their pecuniary standing, knowing that the true greatness of a people depends more upon their intellectual and moral stamina than mere worldly pelf. He advocated and encouraged the system of public road improvements, which, if accomplished according to Mr. Wrights designs, would have made this portion of the country unsurpassed for highway privileges. Mr. W. was well versed in agriculture and was ever ready to afford much valuable information on that and kindred subjects. His mind was well stored with the principles of farming, and he loved to practice them on his well cultivated fields. Mr. Wright was among the first promoters of agricultural societies, and in a liberal manner aided and fostered their management up to the day of his decease. The children, five of whom are yet residing in this precinct, by their good conduct preserve the good name of the family, free as it ever has been from any blot or tarnish on its fair reputation.
Mrs. Wright attends to the management of the large estate, and with the aid of her enterprising children, has kept the same in an excellent state of cultivation. She possesses many of the excellent qualities of her late husband, and great success has attended her efforts as an agriculturist.
JOHN WYATT was born in Culpepper county, Virginia, in 1797. Soon after he became of age he settled in Scott county, Kentucky, where he was married to Miss Rebecca, daughter of William Wyatt. Soon after, he moved to Missouri, where he remained till the spring of 1821, when he settled near the present site of Jacksonville, Illinois, which was at that time a part of Madison county. He was one of the first settlers in the county, and possessing, as he did, good business qualities, he was early called upon to fill many important offices in the early history of the county, which trusts he filled with credit to himself and to the county, which he represented. He was a good man; often, in obliging others, he acted detrimental to his own personal interest. He followed farming, as his chief business on his farm five or six miles southeast of Jacksonville, till the spring of 1839, when he removed to section 36, township 14, range 9 (having laid out his addition to the village
of Franklin previously), where he filled the measure of a well spent and useful life, being loved and respected by a large circle of friends and acquaintances. He departed this life January 6, 1850, aged fifty-three years. His wife died August 29, 1865. Mr. Wyatt had a family of twelve children - eight sons and four daughters; two of the former and three of the latter are still residing in the county. Mary, present wife of Thomas Hoffs, of Honey Grove, Texas, and Minerva, present wife of A. M. Wright, are residing near Franklin. James M. is residing in Sangamon County. Sarah, wife of T. M. Scott, is residing near Franklin; and also his son, Col. Wm. J. Wyatt. Col. Wm. J. Wyatt was born October 28, 1825. He was married to Miss Eliza A. Williams, September 28, 1849, by which marriage he has had three children; viz: James W., deceased; George H., and Mary A., residing with their parents. Col. Wyatt, at the call of his country, in the Mexican War, served under Col. John J. Hardin, commanding company G of
the regiment which, with our forces in that struggle, gained imperishable laurels, as well as at Buena Vista, where his regiment was actively engaged. He again left the peaceful pursuits of his farm, and the social comforts and pleasures of home, at the call of his government, and took an active part in getting up the 101st regiment Illinois volunteers, which, as lieutenant colonel, he commanded, remaining in the service about one year. As one of the prominent citizens of Morgan county, who has been identified with its growth and history for the past forty-seven years, Colonel Wyatt is widely known and respected for his many good qualities. He is, in short, a public-spirited citizen, a good farmer, and an upright business man, and is duly appreciated by a large circle of friends and acquaintances throughout the county and state. A lithographic view of his stock farm and residence, near the village of Franklin, appears in this work.
HON. RICHARD YATES. - The world's history is the record of individual acts, and the brilliancy of that record is good deeds - such deeds as rise above self, and elevate and ameliorate the condition of man. Among the names that will live and shine in the history of our state and country will appear that of Richard Yates, the patriot governor of Illinois, who, through the dark years of the rebellion, gave such living proof of devotion to his country. Such was the character of Governor Yates for patriotism and ability, that, during the war, he administered counsel and strength to the Chief Executive of the nation with the same ease and grace that he gave sympathy and consolation to the humblest patriot, and has left a record which, for devotion to the Union cause and earnest effort in its behalf, has few equals, and will long be remembered by his grateful countrymen.
Richard Yates was born on the 18th of January, 1818, in Warsaw, Gallatin county, Kentucky. He is the second son of Henry Yates, who was a native of Caroline county, Virginia. His father, on coming to Illinois, settled first in Springfield, where he remained several years in the mercantile business. He then removed to Berlin , and after completion of the Toledo, Wabash, & Western railroad, laid out the town of New Berlin, where, as a merchant and dealer in real estate, he resided till his death. He was one of the pioneer citizens of our state, and was respected by a large circle of acquaintances. He raised a family of nine children, five sons and four daughters. Abner and Richard are at present residing in Jacksonville - also Millisent, wife of Wesley Mathers, and Catherine, residing with her sister, Mrs. Mathers.
Richard Yates was indebted for his early educational advantages to Morgan county, except one term in Miami University, at Oxford, Ohio. He graduated at Illinois College in 1837, and commenced his legal studies in the law office of John J. Hardin, who was afterwards so highly distinguished in the Mexican war as colonel of the first regiment of Illinois infantry. He was married July 11th, 1839, to Miss Catherine Geers, daughter of William Geers, of Morgan county, formerly of Lexington, Kentucky. By this marriage he has had five children, viz: William, deceased; Eliza, who died in infancy; and Henry, Katie, and Dickey, who still reside at home with their parents.
Mr. Yates political record covers a period of nearly thirty years. He was first elected to the state legislature in 1842, in which capacity he served the people six years. He was eleven years a representative in congress, four years governor of Illinois, and six years in the senate of the United States.
Such is the brief record of one of Illinois' distinguished patriots and statesmen, whose deeds will live in the memory of her grateful children.