BARNES, (REV.) WILLIAM, D. D. , was born of
Scotch ancestry in Portsmouth, Ohio, February 8, 1814. He graduated from Yale in
1839, and among his classmates were Charles Sumner and Edward Everett. In the
following year he completed his theological course at Yale and began his
pastorate at Foxboro, Mass., being created a D. D. by his alma mater in 1850. On
August 14, 1842, at Coventry, Conn., he was married to Eunice A Hubbard, who was
of the Nathan Hale stock. In 1845 he was called to the pastorate of a large
Christian Church in Boston, and while so officiating preached the funeral
discourse over the remains of Daniel Webster. In 1854, his health failing, he
came West; from 1855 to 1860 was pastor of the Congregational Church at Alton,
Ill., and then, to educate his children, removed to Jacksonville, Ill., which he
made his home until his death, on May 1, 1890. Although retired from active
work, he made his presence felt in the literary circles of the city, almost from
its organization being a prominent figure in the Literary Union. Dr. Barnes was
a great reader, an original thinker, a strong writer and a power in many ways.
His first wife died May 18, 1874, and August 1, 1878, he was married to Susan E.
Sewall. Rev. William Barnes left by his first union four children: Judge William
H. Barnes, who lived in this city until November, 1885, when he was appointed by
President Cleveland Associate Justice of the Territory of Arizona, and died at
Tucson, Ariz., November 10, 1904; Lieut. Nathan Hale Barnes, of the United
States Navy, who died at Hartford, Conn., January 1, 1899; Mrs. Mary E. Elson,
of Freeport, Ill., and Judge Charles A. Barnes, of Jacksonville.