CLAMPIT, LOUIS HENRY, M. D. , Assistant Physician and Surgeon at the Illinois Central Hospital for the Insane, Jacksonville, Ill., was born within three miles of that city, August 18, 1860, the son of William H. and Mary Elizabeth Clampit. William Henry Clampit was a farmer and a native of Kentucky and became one of the early settlers of Morgan County. Louis H. Clampit passed his youthful days upon his father's farm. He attended the district schools and the city public schools, and was a student for three years at the Illinois College; then pursued a course in the Jacksonville Business College, and passed one year (1877-78) in Kansas as bookkeeper in the Topeka Foundry and Iron Works. Returning to Jacksonville he began the study of medicine with Dr. H. H. King, and in 1884 finished his professional course at the Hospital Medical College, Louisville, Ky. He commenced practice at Road House, Ill., and continued it in that town for five years, while there having charge of the medical work for the C. & A. Railroad, being their Local Surgeon in 1889. In that year he returned to Jacksonville and continued there in active general practice until 1901, when he was appointed Assistant Surgeon to the Asylum for the Insane, and is still filling that position.
Dr. Clampit was married June 30, 1885, to Lena C. Watson, daughter of James R. and Susan Watson, of Louisville, Ky. Mr. and Mrs. Clampit were the parents of five children, one of whom died in infancy. Those living are: William W., Louis H., Jr., Clarence M. and Margaret E. Dr. Clampit is a member of the M. E. Church and fraternally a Mason, both Chapter and Knights Templar. He was a member of the city Board of Education for five years and City Health Warden for two years.
William H. Clampit, father of our subject, was born in Kentucky September 8, 1825, a son of Moses and Lucy (Rucker) Clampit. Moses Clampit and family moved from Kentucky to Morgan County, Ill., in the first quarter of the last century and engaged in farming. William H. Clampit was married November 16, 1847, to Mary E. Akers, a daughter of Peter and Elizabeth (Read) Akers. Mr. and Mrs. William H. Clampit were the parents of eleven children: six died in infancy, those living being Charles, Moses, Dr. Louis H., Thomas B. and Preston. W. H. Clampit was connected with the M. E. Church and the School board; was a member of the I.O.O.F., and a Republican. At the time of his death, July 25, 1900, he left 400 acres of land as part of his estate. He has been a resident of Jacksonville since 1896, and his widow, who was born in 1832, still lives in the city.