CLARY, JOHN, now retired from active farming, but still one of the most extensive land holders in Morgan County, Ill., was born in County Tipperary, Ireland, August 16, 1831. He is a son of Philip and Mary (Heffernan) Clary, also natives of County Tipperary. Philip clary and his wife were both born in 1802, the husband being a farmer. They came to the United States March 25, 1840, and after a year spent in Ohio, located in LaSalle County, Ill. The father died at Odell, Ill., May 17, 1884, his wife having passed away at Ottawa, Ill., in 1861.
John Clary received his early mental training in the common schools of Ireland and came to the United States with his parents at the age of nine years. He remained with the family one year in Ohio, and moved with them to LaSalle County, where he remained until he was twenty0four years old. In 1855 he migrated to the far West, and spent ten years in mining and prospecting, chiefly in Montana. Returning to Jacksonville, January 16, 1865, he bought a tract of 200 acres and engaged in farming until June 2, 1904, when he retired from active work and moved to Jacksonville, where he purchased valuable city property. He still retains the ownership and management of his original farm, and owns several other properties, aggregating 627 acres of land in Morgan County.
On September 13, 1866, Mr. Clary was united in marriage with Mary Killam, a daughter of Samuel and Margaret (Haxby) Killam, of English descent. Ten children resulted from this union, namely: John W., Assessor and Treasurer of Morgan County; Samuel Philip; Clara; Anna, who died at the age of nineteen years; Gertrude, wife of Edward Stevenson, of Morgan County; Mary; Elizabeth, deceased; Michael; Zella, deceased; and Jeffrey. In politics Mr. Clary is a strong Democrat but has never sought public office. In private life he has always been greatly respected for his upright character and honorable dealings.