DAY, J.A., M.D. , who is in active practice in the city of Jacksonville, with office rooms in the Morrison Building, West State Street, was born in Palmyra, Macoupin County, Ill., October 29, 1869, and is the son of Dr. W. C. Day and Letitia A. (Allmond) Day. His father, Dr. W. C. Day, who was born in Arkansas, was educated in medicine in St. Louis, and served from 1862 to the close of the Civil War as Assistant Surgeon in the Federal Army. After the close of the war he settled in Palmyra, Ill., where he practiced his profession until 1874, when he removed with his family to Greenfield, then to Peoria, and in 1881 to Winchester, Scott County, where he resided and continued in practice until the fall of 1905, when he moved to White Hall., Ill., and on account of broken health retired from active practice. He studied medicine under the well known Dr. John T. Hodgen, of St. Louis. Dr. W. C. Day is a member of the Western District Medical Society and of the Scott County Medical Society. His wife died in 1879, and in 1881 he married Bessie E. Harris, a teacher in the public schools of Greenfield, Ill., but a native of Shipman, Ill.
Letitia A. (Allmond) Day, mother of Dr. J. A. Day, was a native of Wilmington, Del., her father, Dr. Allmond, being a graduate of Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, who settled in Palmyra, Macoupin County, Ill., in 1840, and, after practicing his profession in that town sixty years, died there in 1900, at the age of eighty-four.
Dr. J. Allmond Day obtained his literary education in Grinnell College, Iowa, in the Christian Brothers' College, St. Louis, Mo., and in the Missouri State University, at Columbia, Mo. In the last named institution he took a preliminary course in medicine, afterward studying two years in the College of Physicians and Surgeons at St. Louis, where he graduated March 10, 1890. It will thus be seen that he comes of a medical family on both sides, nearly all of his male relatives being physicians. Dr. Day began practice at Lynnville, Ill. in 1890, where he remained fourteen months, when he entered into partnership with his father at Winchester, Ill., which was continued until 1900. During 1894-5 he took a post-graduate course in New York, and again in New York and Philadelphia in 1897. In 1900 he went to Europe, where he spent two years in special study in the cities of Vienna, Berlin, Dresden, Paris and London, devoting most of the time to the practical study of surgery in the leading hospitals, and afterward extending his tour to Italy, Hungary and Switzerland. Upon his return to America in 1902, he continued his researches in surgery at the Johns Hopkins Hospital at Baltimore, Md., and in 1903 located in Jacksonville, where he has established quite a reputation in his chosen department, at the Passavant Memorial and Our Saviour's Hospitals. He has recently resigned his office as Secretary of the Board of United States Pension Examiners - a position that he filled with credit for nearly two years. The Doctor is a member of the Scott and Morgan County Medical Societies, the Western District medical Society, and the State and American Medical Societies. Fraternally, he is connected with the Masonic Order, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, Modern Woodmen of America, and stands very high socially as well as in his profession.