GAILEY, BYRON SINCLAIR, M. D., physician and surgeon, Jacksonville, Ill., was born at Prentice, Morgan County, Ill., November 9, 1873, the son of Dr. Watson W. and Mary E. (Sinclair) Gailey. His father for several years a resident of Morgan County, was born near New Castle, Pa, in 1842. During the Civil War he served as Surgeon with the Seventh Army Corps, Army of Virginia. He was graduated with the class of 1863 from Philadelphia University of Medicine and Surgery. Removing to Morgan County in 1864, he first taught school in the Mauvalsterre District in order to obtain sufficient funds to enable him to open an office for the practice of his chosen profession. His first location for practice was in Jacksonville, where he remained until 1866, in which year he settled in Prentice. Since 1877 he has been established in Ashland, Ill. He has come to be regarded as one of the most successful practitioners in Cass County.
Dr. Byron S. Gailey received his preparatory education in the public schools of Ashland. Entering the medical department of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, he was graduated therefrom in 1895 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He has also had the advantage of post-graduate work in Chicago, New York and Vienna, in each of those cities confining his research to diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat. Since his location in Jacksonville, May 1, 1897, he has devoted himself to practice in this special department of medicine and surgery, and although a comparatively young man, has already established a reputation as an expert in this direction. For some time past he has been in charge of the eye and ear work at the Illinois Institution for the Deaf and Dumb. Dr. Gailey's sole fraternal connection is with the Masons and Elks. He was united in marriage September 29, 1898, with Anna P. Smith, of Island Grove, Sangamon County, Ill., a daughter of John P. Smith, now a resident of Jacksonville.