GALLAHER, (REV.) WILLIAM GREEN , (deceased), Presbyterian minister, was born in Roane County, Tenn., February 27, 1801, a son of Thomas and Mary (Green) Gallaher, both natives of Pennsylvania. James, father of Thomas, located in the wilderness of Eastern Tennessee between 1810 and 1820. Thomas came to Illinois in 1833, locating in Sangamon County, where he died in 1843. Early in life William G. Gallaher was a teacher. In 1823 he entered Greenville (Tenn.) College, and afterward studied theology under the instruction of his older brother, Rev. James Gallaher, and Rev. Frederick A. Ross. In 1827 he was licensed to preach by the Presbytery of Holston, Tenn. His health became impaired and for two years he traveled through the South, a portion of the times as a missionary. At Winchester, Ky., he preached for two years, and in the fall of 1831 he located at Cincinnati as copastor of the Third Presbyterian Church, of which his brother, James, was pastor. In that city, March 12, 1833, he married Sarah Kautz, and in the same year removed to Sangamon County, Ill., locating on a farm near Berlin. Soon afterward he became pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Pisgah, Morgan County, and continued in that pastorate for thirty-one years, donating his entire salary to the various charities of the church, and supporting himself and a large family by the successful management of his farm and other business enterprises. Mr. Gallaher was deeply interested in the cause of education, and served for many years as Trustee of the Jacksonville Female Academy and of Blackburn University. His death occurred in Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., December 8, 1881.