GIBSON, G. C., farmer and stockman, residing on his well-improved farm on Section 20, Township 14, Range 9, Morgan County, was born in Township 13 December 3, 1850, the son of John M. and Mary (Davidson) Gibson. The paternal grandfather, James Gibson, and his wife, Hannah, were natives of Tennessee and came to Morgan County in the spring of 1830. James Gibson entered 240 acres of Government land soon after reaching the county, which he farmed during his life, and at his death, in the winter of 1855-6, left five children, of whom John M. Gibson, the father of G. C., was second. He bought the old homestead, but later sold it and purchased another farm in the neighborhood, on which he died in 1890. His widow, who survives him, was born in 1829, and makes her home in Jacksonville.
G. C. Gibson attended the district school and later was a pupil at Whipple Academy and Illinois College in Jacksonville. His home has always been on the farm, and at the age of twenty-five he commenced his career as an independent farmer. He devoted thirteen years of his manhood to teaching, an occupation for which he was well fitted, being a man of broad intelligence, good memory, patience and perseverance.
Mr. Gibson was married December 24, 1875, to Lavinia Carlile, daughter of H. and Anna (Cooper) Carlile, and they became the parents of four children, all of whom are living: Edward H., who is principal of the High School at Bloomfield, Ind.; Hattie M., who is a graduate of De Pauw University and resides at home; Willis Stanley and Charles R., students of the university named. For two terms (1893-99) Mr. Gibson was a member of the Board of County Commissioners; and has been a member of the School Board several terms, Clerk of Road District six years, and was a Census Taker in 1900. He moved to his present farm of 120 acres in 1877. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and the Court of Honor, and a Republican in politics.