GRAHAM, LORENZO D., (deceased), pioneer, and, during his life, a prominent and successful farmer, whose home was just east of Meredosia, Morgan County, Ill., was born in Sussex County, Md., October 2, 1806, the son of George and Henrietta (Willis) Graham, and at the age of six years was taken by his parents to Chillicothe, Ohio. Here he remained until 1830, when he came to Morgan County and put in his first crop the season before the "deep snow", in the winter of 1830-31. In 1832 he moved onto the farm where he spent the remaining years of his life, and eventually became one of the wealthy farmers of that region.
Mr. Graham was married October 25, 1827, to Elizabeth Newman by whom he had a family of seven children, of whom Mrs. Elizabeth Andre, of Jacksonville, and Mrs. Martha Isinger, of St. Louis, are the only surviving members. The wife and mother died December 20, 1871. Mr. Graham's second and last marriage was to Caroline E. Looman on April 17, 1873, widow of Henry Looman, and there were four children born of this marriage, viz: Frank, Matilda, H. G. Pawn and Edna. The two sons of Mrs. Graham by her first marriage were Henry and William Looman, who are prosperous merchants of Meredosia. Lorenzo D. Graham held the office of Road Master and School Director of his district and was extensively engaged in the raising and feeding of cattle, dying on his farm July 19, 1896. His widow, Mrs. Caroline E. Graham, is passing her declining years in a pleasant home which she built in Meredosia, where she has other property besides her interest in her late husband's farm.