HALL, Henry Hammond, retired capitalist and farmer residing in Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., was born in Accomac County, Va., August 17, 1827, the son of Henry H. and Ann Hack Pitt (Beard) Hall, who came with their family to Illinois in the spring of 1835. They located on open prairie land, now the town site of Virginia, Cass County, which the senior Henry Hall founded about 1837, and where he spent considerable money in developing the place and in bringing about the changes which made it the geographical center of Cass County in 1847, and ultimately the county seat. The parents spent here the remainder of their lives, the father, who was a physician and surgeon, becoming interested in general business, and therefore devoting little time to practice.
Henry H. Hall, after finishing his studies in the public schools, occupied himself in various ways, and, in early manhood, purchased an interest in the "Cass County Times," an independent paper published in the town of Virginia. While editing the paper, he assisted in setting the type and operating the hand-press on a four page sheet. Meanwhile he had commenced to read law, but changing his plans turned his attention to medicine. About the time he was ready to enter upon the practice of the latter profession, his plans were agin disarranged in consequence of the death of his brother, John P. Hall, a merchant of Virginia. Having been appointed administrator of his brother's estate, it became necessary for him to devote the following three years to the settlement of its affairs. By this time, on account of impaired health, he found it necessary to permanently abandon his intention of entering the law, and applied himself to farming, still later becoming identified with banking interests. He assisted in organizing the Farmers' National Bank, of which he was President while he remained in Cass County. He is still Vice-President of that institution, and owns farms there, the operation of which he supervises. In 1870 he located at Jacksonville, where he has since lived in retirement from active business. He was one of the organizers of the Jacksonville Public Library, of which he was Manager for twelve years. He is a member of the Literary Union, the Art Association, the State Historical Society and the Morgan County Historical Society.
In 1850 Mr. Hall was married to Elizabeth E. Epler (sister of Judge Cyrus Epler), who died in 1870, leaving five children, four of whom are living, namely: Charles H., of Chicago; Marion I., of Jacksonville; Mrs. Mary H. Cormick, of Centralia, Ill.; and Mrs. A. L. Kimber, of Chicago. In 1872, Mr. Hall was married to Anna E. Savage, and they have one child - Helen H., living in Jacksonville.
Politically, Mr. Hall is a Democrat, but has sought no political honors. He became affiliated with the Masonic order while a resident of Virginia, Ill., and became a Knight Templar in Jacksonville. He is a member of the Congregational Church.