HAYDEN, Charles Leslie, Circuit Clerk and Recorder of Morgan County, Jacksonville, Ill., is well educated, popular and able, and has been tried and never found wanting by the public for a period of over a decade. He was born in East Cleveland, Ohio, May 1, 1844, the son of Amos Sutton and Sarah Merrick (Ely) Hayden. Alfred Ely, the maternal grandfather served in the War of 1812, and migrated from Massachusetts to Ohio in 1820. The father was a native of Youngstown, Ohio - date of birth September 17, 1813 - and the mother of Springfield, Mass., born November 29, 1816. Amos Sutton Hayden, a clergyman of the Christian Church, was President of the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute for seven years from 1850. From East Cleveland the family had removed to Hiram, Portage County, Ohio, and in 1858, they located at Hopedale, Harrison County, that State, where for two years Prof. Hayden served as President of the McNeely Normal Institute, In 1860 he returned to East Cleveland.
Charles L. Hayden was therefore reared in an atmosphere of culture and higher education. He received his early mental training at Hiram, Ohio, while his father was at the head of the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute. But the boy was naturally active and practical, rather than scholarly, and after taking a business course at Bryant & Stratton's College, Cleveland, he indulged in a short period of good physical training on a farm. Like other youth of full blood and patriotic instincts, at the outbreak of the War of the Rebellion it was with the greatest difficulty that he could be held in check. Finally after he had passed his eighteenth year, in August, 1862, he enlisted in Company B, First Regiment Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery, and served with manly credit in the Army of the Cumberland, until his honorable discharge June 20, 1865.
After the war Mr. Hayden returned to his home in East Cleveland, and resumed his farming operations, which he continued after his removal to Minonk, Woodford County, Ill., in February, 1867. Here he was married December 22, 1869 to Leanah M., the second daughter of Rev. Charles O. and Mary (Eades) Rowe, her father also being a minister of the Christian denomination. Mr. Hayden engaged in agriculture in the vicinity of Minonk until 1884, when he located at Washburn, Ill., and conducted a hotel until September, 1890. The latter date marks his removal to Jacksonville.
Mr. Hayden's record as a public official commences with his election as Constable in 1894, his political constituents being Republicans. But it was soon discovered that his mental caliber and his broad business education, both in college and in the world of practice, fitted him for higher and more responsible official duties. In November, 1896, he was therefore elected to the office of Circuit Clerk and Recorder of Morgan County, and filled the position with such general satisfaction that he was reelected in November, 1900, and November 1904.
Mr. And Mrs. Charles L. Hayden have been the parents of four children: Ethel D., born November 29, 1871; Edith, May 23, 1873 (died in infancy); Frank Leslie, May 3, 1894 (also died an infant) and Lois R., March 22, 1894, and adopted June 10, 1897. Amos S. Hayden, the father of the subject, died in September, 1880; his mother, in January, 1903. Mrs. Hayden's father, Rev. Charles O. Rowe, passed away at Laramie, Wyo., in 1894, his wife having preceded him in 1851, dying in Morgan County.
Charles L. Hayden has been a member of the Christian Church for nearly half a century, joining it on his fifteenth birthday, at Hopedale, Harrison County, Ohio. He was one of the pioneers of the Grand Army of the Republic, being mustered into the patriotic fraternity in 1868. His initiation into Masonry was with the Robt. Morris Lodge, No. 247, A. F. & A. M., and in 1891 he affiliated with Harmony Lodge, No. 3, having held its secretaryship since 1900.