HENDERSON, MADISON M., one of the oldest and most favorably known residents of Morgan County, Ill., where he is successfully engaged in farming near the village of Arcadia, was born August 24, 1838, on the homestead on which he now resides. He is a son of David G. and Mary Henderson, natives of the State of Virginia. David G. Henderson was one of the earliest settlers in Greene County, Ill., and later he and his family removed to Morgan County, where he resided until his death.
In boyhood Mr. Henderson received his mental training in the subscription schools of his neighborhood, and remained with his father until the latter's death, on January 16, 1882. He diligently applied himself to farming until May 28, 1862, when he enlisted in Jacksonville, for three months in a company under the command of Capt. John W. King, of that city. The command was ordered to Camp Butler, near Springfield, Ill., where it was mustered in as Company A, Sixty-eighth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry. It remained at that point, engaged ind drilling and guard duty, until July 3, 1862, when the regiment was transported to Washington, D. C., and thence, by boat, to Alexandria, Va., where it went into camp on Arlington Heights, the site of the present National Soldiers' Cemetery. After remaining there for a time, the regiment marched back to Alexandria, where its term of service expired. It then returned to Washington and was again transported to Camp Butler, where it was mustered out of service about the last of September, 1862. Mr. Henderson is the owner of 160 acres of land on which he conducts general farming with satisfactory results.
On December 22, 1879, Mr. Henderson was united in marriage with Lodoska D. Robinson, daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth Robinson. Mrs. henderson died fourteen months after her marriage. On November 23, 1887, Mr. Henderson wedded Margaret M. Deatherage, who was born near Waverly, Ill., and is a daughter of William and Nancy Harrison (Gunwell) Deatherage. To this union one child, Lester C., was born January 1, 1891.
In politics, Mr. henderson is a supporter of the Republican party. He has served as Township Trustee for twelve years. Fraternally, he is affiliated with the I. O. O. F. Mrs. henderson is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Henderson is a man of high character and correct life, and is respected by all who enjoy his acquaintance.