HODGES, Levi T., living on his farm near Meredosia, Morgan County, Ill., was born in the vicinity where he now resides, November 12, 1853, the son of Thomas and Susan (Burrus) Hodges, the mother being a native of Tennessee and the father of Ohio. Mrs. Hodges' father moved from Tennessee to Morgan County, becoming one of the earliest settlers in that locality. The elder Hodges bought land soon after coming to Morgan County, which by industry he developed into a valuable farm. He was married twice and had a family of ten children, but only two of the second marriage survive, viz.: Levi T. and his sister Emma, wife of Henry Eller. Mr. and Mrs. Eller are residents of New Mexico. Thomas Hodges, when he died in 1886, left a landed estate of 1,000 acres. Mrs. Hodges died in 1893.
Levi T. Hodges has been identified with farming all his life, his present real estate aggregating 235 acres. He has a pleasant home and a profitable farm. He was married January 17, 1875, to Samantha Perkins, daughter of Absalom Perkins, who was one of the early settlers of Morgan County. He and his wife have five children, viz.: Wilmer, who is engaged in the railroad business; George A., also a railroad man, who married Effie Stultz, with their three daughters residing in Decatur, Ill.; Ansel, who assists his father on the farm, where Olive Mabel, the only daughter, also resides, and Merle.
In order the better to educate his children, Levi T. Hodges took up his residence in the town of Meredosia in 1888, but returned to his farm in 1900. During his residence in Meredosia he was twice elected President of the Village Board, serving two full terms. He owns several pieces of town property. The family is affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Hodges is a Republican in political principles.