HUGHES, NATHAN J., M.D., physician and surgeon, Waverly, Ill., was born in New Columbus, Owen County, Ky., April 30, 1854, the son of William and Anna Eliza (Guill) Hughes, natives of Virginia and Kentucky respectively. William Hughes was a farmer, and, like all agriculturists, would have preferred that his son should have followed the same avocation, but, after attending the schools near his home, the lad determined to enter the field of medicine. With this end in view he went to Cincinnati and entered the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery, in 1879 securing his coveted degree of M. D.
Dr. Hughes began to practice his profession in Corinth, Ky., and for seven years remained to aid those who required his services, but at length he decided to removed to Illinois, and in 1886 located at Franklin, Morgan County, where he practiced until the fall of 1889. Desiring to take a post-graduate course, he then went to New York, where for twelve months he studied in the medical department of the University of the City of New York, receiving his degree from that college in 1890. For two years following this date he practiced his profession in the city of Chicago, but in 1892 located at Waverly, Ill., in which town he has since remained to attend to the large patronage which he has established and where his leading position is secure.
On December 18, 1890, Dr. Hughes was married to Nellie S. Sharp, of Cincinnati, and of this union five children have been born-those living being: Corinne Lillie Sharp, Lowell Nathaniel, Alfred Webb, and Donald L. Harold died at the age of fifteen months, in August, 1895.
In his political affiliations Dr. Hughes is a Prohibitionist. He is a Director in the First National Bank of Waverly. Among the organizations to which he belongs may be mentioned the American Medical Association; State and County Medical Associations; fraternally, to the K. of P. and A.F.&A.M. orders, and religiously, to the Methodist Church, of which latter body he has been a member since boyhood.