KENDRICK, THOMAS J., a well known, popular and influential citizen of Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., was born January 11, 1869, at Ferns, County Wexford, Ireland, the son of John and Kate (Redmond) Kendrick, both of whom were natives of that county-the former born in 1830, and the latter in 1837. The mother, who died in 1879, was a second-cousin of John Edward Redmond, the celebrated Irish leader. In the old country John Kendrick was a farmer by occupation. He came to this country in 1888, and lived with some of his relatives in Detroit, Mich., until his death, August 8, 1902.
Thomas J. Kendrick received a good mental training in the national schools of Ireland. After finishing his course in school he served an apprenticeship of five years with a dry-goods merchant. Having an ambition to improve his fortunes, he came to the United States in May, 1888, and proceeded direct to Jacksonville, where he worked for different persons until September 1, 1892. At that period he secured employment as a boiler maker and flue welder in the old Jacksonville Car Shops which were subsequently destroyed by fire. He was then engaged in the same occupation in the new shops of the Chicago, Peoria & St. Louis Railroad, where he still remains. He is Corresponding Secretary of the Jacksonville Boiler Makers' Union, Trustee of the Trades Assembly, a Director of the Chicago, Peoria & St. Louis Mutual Benefit Society, and President of the Trades and Labor Assembly of Jacksonville, being elected to the position last named on July 13, 1905.
On November 22, 1892, Mr. Kendrick was united in marriage with Mary Anne Ward, of Murrayville, Ill., a daughter of Martin and Mary (Needham) Ward. Two children have been born of this union, namely: John Edward Redmond, born August 28, 1893, and Maggie Mary, born September 27, 1896. In religion, Mr. Kendrick is a devout Catholic, and an active member of the church. Politically, he is an earnest and influential Democrat, and has always taken a lively interest in public affairs. In 1901 he was elected a member of the City Council of Jacksonville from the First Ward, and made a reputation as a valuable representative of the best interests of the city. In November, 1903, Mayor John R. Davis appointed him one of the first Board of Commissioners of the Morgan Lake Park System; and Mr. Kendrick made the original motion to change the name to Nichols Park, by which it is now known. In 1905 he was again elected Alderman, acquitting himself with equal ability and fidelity. Fraternally, Mr. Kendrick is a member of the third degree of the Knights of Columbus. He is also affiliated with the Eagles and A.O.H., and had the distinction of representing the latter organization in its Fortieth National Convention, held at Detroit, Mich., in 1896. In addition to these fraternal relations, he belongs to the M.P.L. Lodge No. 19, in which he has been a member of the Routt Club. He is a man of strict rectitude of character, and is high regarded by all who have the pleasure of his acquaintance.