KENNEDY, NOAMAN L., for many years a successful farmer in the vicinity of Arcadia, Morgan County, Ill., and one of the most prominent citizens of this section, was born in Mercer County, Pa., May 1, 1831, the son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Stibbey) Kennedy, who moved to Trumbull County, Ohio, about the year 1837, the father being a cabinet maker by trade. N. L. Kennedy attended the public schools in Ohio, where he grew to manhood. When a boy, he began working by the day and month, and, upon reaching the age of nineteen years, entered upon an apprenticeship at the wagon-maker's trade, continuing for two years. The first year he received $36 and board, and the second year $48. Soon afterward he started a wagon shop at Jared, Ohio. When he came to Illinois in 1853, traveling by canal and river, he brought with him three buggies and a two-horse wagon, which he had made in his Ohio shop. Upon his arrival in Morgan County he sold two of the buggies for $100 each. Shortly after locating here he was employed in a wagonshop in Arcadia, being thus engaged for two years, when he moved to the farm on which he now lives, and of which he had been the owner since 1853. It consisted of 80 acres which he purchased at $6.50 per acre, with three years' time in which to pay for it. A hewed log house and barn then stood in the same yard of 20 acres in which is now his present residence, and the property was called the John Bramer Place. In this log cabin Mr. Kennedy lived for years. He built the fine home which he now occupies in 1867, and the present farm consists of 310 acres, in a compact body of land, on which he has been engaged in general farming and stock-raising, with marked success.
On March 8, 1855, Mr. Kennedy was married to Emily E. Johnson, a sketch of whose family appears elsewhere in this volume. Five children resulted from this union, namely: William Z., who is a carpenter, and lives in Kansas; Flora H., wife of Dr. A. J. Ogram, of Jacksonville; James, who lives on the farm with his father; David E., who conducts a livery stable in Jacksonville; and John E. who operates a portion of the home farm. The parents celebrated their golden wedding anniversary March 8, 1905. On political issues, Mr. Kennedy has always been an unswerving Republican. Religiously, he and his wife have been members of the Methodist Episcopal Church for more than fifty years. As a farmer, he has met with deserved success, is a man of the highest character, and, wherever he is known, is regarded with great respect and cordial esteem.