KITNER, EDWARD N., whose residence is 438 East College Avenue, Jacksonville, was born August 25, 1854, on his father's farm, situated three miles southeast of Jacksonville, on the old Vandalia Road. His parents were Henry and Mahala (Crouse) Kitner, who were both natives of North Carolina, and Edward N. was the youngest in a family of six children.
Henry Kitner, with his wife and an infant child, Elizabeth, came from North Carolina in the year 1836, making the journey to Morgan County, Ill., by means of a one-horse wagon. The family at first settled on a farm north of Jacksonville, on Indian Creek, but later located on the farm where Mr. Kitner was born. Henry Kitner followed general farming and lived an uneventful life, but was a successful man of business, acquiring an estate of nearly 500 acres of land. His death occurred August 18, 1890, his wife following him to the grave March 7, 1893. Edward N. Kitner was reared to farming, attended the country schools and lived at home until he was forty years of age. In the meantime, August 25, 1885, he married Mollie Letton, daughter of Caleb and Mary (Laytham) Letton, formerly of Bourbon County, Ky., who came to Morgan County, Ill., in the early fifties. Caleb Letton served in the Civil War as a member of Company D, One Hundred and First Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry.
Mr. Kitner and wife have three children: Elizabeth M., Henry and Dorothy D.
The old family homestead is managed by Edward N. Kitner and his brother, Joseph, but the estate is not yet divided. In 1894 Edward N. became proprietor of a livery stable at Jacksonville, operated it for five years, and sold it in 1899. He is the owner of several residences in Jacksonville, and for the past few years has devoted his time and attention to these properties. He is a member of the Christian Church, and in politics, like his father, is a Democrat.