HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ILLINOIS
& HISTORY OF MORGAN COUNTY
Munsell Publishing Company, Publishers, 1906.




LANG, (Col.) EDWARD J., the efficient Superintendent of Building and Construction, and Instructor in Woodworking, at the Illinois Institution for the Deaf, in Jacksonville, Morgan County, Ill., was born at Paris, Ill., April 10, 1867. He is a son of William H. and Mary A. (Casson) Lang, natives of Virginia. His parents journeyed to Illinois, and located at Paris, Edgar County. His father was a prominent contractor and builder of that city, where he died in 1903, his widow still surviving him as one of its residents.

In youth, Edward J. Lang attended the public schools of Paris, and graduated from the city High School, subsequently taking private lessons in architecture. He learned the carpenter's trade with his father, and became a building contractor in 1892. In that line he continued until the time of his appointment to his present position. Since then he has discharged the duties of this office, making Jacksonville his home, with the exception of the period spent as major in the Fourth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, during the Spanish-American War. He departed for Cuba with the regiment, January 1, 1899, serving in the Seventh Army Corps, under the command of Gen. Fitzhugh Lee. The regiment returned to the United States May 4, 1899, and was mustered out at Augusta, Ga. Mr. Lang then resumed the duties of his former position in Jacksonville.

Col. Lang's service in the State Militia is worthy of notice. On April 20, 1887, at Paris, Ill., he enlisted in Company H, Eighth Regiment Illinois State Militia. He was promoted to be Corporal, then Sergeant, and in 1890 was elected Second Lieutenant. Soon afterward, he was elected First Lieutenant, and, in 1893, Captain. He was twice elected Major of the Fourth Regiment Illinois State Militia, which has meanwhile been changed from the Eighth, and in that capacity he served, with high credit, throughout the Spanish-American War. After that war he was elected Lieutenant-Colonel of the Fourth Regiment, to which rank he was reelected June 8, 1904. On June 8, 1905, he was elected Colonel, which office he now holds, with regimental headquarters in Jacksonville.

On July 9, 1898, Col. Lang was united in marriage with Lillie Hybarger, of Paris, Ill., a daughter of Rufus and Margaret (Elledge) Hybarger. Religiously, Col. Lang is a member of the Baptist Church. In politics, he is a Republican, and fraternally, is affiliated with Apollo Lodge, No. 57, K. of P., of Paris.


1906 Index

Home