MOORE, George W., farmer and ex-County Commissioner, residing seven miles east of Jacksonville, Ill., was born on the farm where he now lives January 1, 1833, the son of Dr. Edmund and Mary (O'Neal) Moore, pioneer settlers of Morgan County. (For more extended ancestral history, see sketch of Dr. Edmund Moore, preceding in this volume.) Reared on his father's farm, he attended the district schools of his neighborhood. Entering Illinois College, he was graduated from that institution in the class of 1856, with the degree of Bachelor of Science. Returning home, he assisted his father in the management of the farm until the summer of 1861, when he determined to respond to the call of President Lincoln for additional troops. At this time Captain Lewis of Jacksonville, was recruiting a company of cavalry to fill out Missouri's quota, and in this command, which became Company G, First Regiment Missouri Volunteer Calvary, Mr. Moore enlisted on August 20th of that year. Upon the organization of the company he was elected Second Lieutenant. The command proceeded at once to Missouri where, under General Fremont, it assisted in the work of driving General Sterling Price and his bushwhackers from Missouri into Arkansas. He also took part in the second campaign against Price, under command of Generals Curtis and Sigel. His entire service was in Missouri and Arkansas, and the operations of the army with which he was connected were directed principally against guerrillas and bushwhackers.
At the close of the war, Mr. Moore, returned to his home and reengaged in agriculture, to which he has devoted his life. He has applied modern methods to the industry, and his farm is regarded as one of the most finely cultivated and valuable in Morgan County. Much of his time has been devoted to stock-raising, in which he has been successful. A firm believer in the foundation principles and workings of the Republican party, he has been zealous in the promotion of its welfare in both township and county affairs. From 1887 to 1890 he served as County Commissioner, and for a period of thirty-five years filled the office of Township Trustee of School Funds. He has always been deeply interested in the cause of education, and in later years has served as Trustee of the Illinois Institution for the Education of the Blind, a post to which he was appointed by Governor Yates in 1901. His sole relation with secret or fraternal orders is his membership in Matt Starr Post, No. 378, G. A. R.
Judge Moore was united in marriage May 25, 1868, with Nancy M. Chambers, daughter of Colonel George M. Chambers, a sketch of whose life will be found in other pages of this work. She died in July, 1890, leaving one daughter - Eleanor Irwin, who resides with her father.
In closing this brief memoir of one of the most highly esteemed citizens of Morgan County, it is but proper to record the fact that throughout his entire life he has been regarded as a man of unimpeachable integrity, of high personal character and an untiring devotion to the best interests of the entire community. His interest in public matters has been unselfish, his sole aim apparently having been to do what lay within his power to elevate the social, moral, intellectual and industrial status of his native county. In his dealings with others he has been actuated by the spirit of the Golden Rule. He is a man of striking personal characteristics, his intellectual attainments being most liberal for one whose nurture and employment have been among the practical affairs of rural life. In association with other men of culture and refinement, he has been able to appreciate learning and share in the discussion of high themes. A broad-minded, useful citizen, his career should prove a source of inspiration to representatives of the younger generation.