NEWTON, SAMUEL , who resides on his farm half a miles east of Concord, has been a resident of Morgan County for two-thirds of a century. He was born at Randolph, Portage County, Ohio, May 4, 1833, a son of William B. and Sophia (Sutliff) Newton. William B. Newton, who was a native of Templeton, Mass., and a representative of one of the oldest and most worthy families of the Bay State, received a liberal education and early in life became a teacher. Removing to Ohio in the pioneer days of that State, he there engaged in educational work until his removal to Illinois with his family in 1839. His first location in this county was at Meredosia, where he remained for one year. He then engaged in farming at Diamond Grove for two years, upon the expiration of that period removing to Scott County, where he purchased a farm located eight miles east of Winchester. With splendid prospects of success before him, his life was cut short, while still in the prime of manhood, his death occurring at his home in Scott County, October 12, 1846.
Left dependent upon his own resources at the age of thirteen years, Samuel Newton began work in the spring of 1847 upon the farm of J. B. Fairbank, near Concord, receiving $6 per month for his services. After spending four years upon this farm, he was similarly engaged for one year for James Ellis, whose place was situated east of Concord. His entire service as a farm hand extended over a period of seven years, and the highest pay he received was $15 per month. Upon attaining his majority he rented 33 acres of land situated west of the railroad, near Concord, paying therefor one-third the income. The following fall he purchased a half interest in a thresher, which he operated during the harvest season, in conjunction with his agricultural enterprise. Until 1891 he continued threshing, purchasing and operating seven different machines in the meantime. In the spring of 1865 he purchased 100 acres of land, the nucleus of his present fine property, to which he has added until he now owns 506 acres, all of which has been improved except small pieces of native timber. For several years, during the earlier days of his life in Illinois, he drove hogs in large numbers to Beardstown and Whitehall, finding the undertaking quite profitable. He has found the greatest profit, however, in raising and feeding cattle.
For twenty-one years Mr. Newton served as School Director; for thirty years has been Secretary of Concord Lodge, No. 82, I.O.O.F.; and is also a member of N. D. Morse Lodge, No. 346, A.F.&A.M., of Concord. On May 5, 1860, he was married to Martha E. Sims, daughter of Rev. L. B. Sims, a preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church, his wife dying September 22, 1877. They became the parents of the following named children: Ida May, wife of John G. Irving, of Arenzville; Emma Florence (deceased), wife of George F. Blimling, of Concord; Nellie E. (deceased), wife of R. C. Huddleson, of Pike County, Ill.; Addie and Alice (twins)-Addie becoming the wife of C. E. Willard, of Concord, and Alice, the wife of Thomas Titus, of Trilla, Coles County, Ill.; Charles Edward, living at home; Archibald L., residing one mile east of Concord; and Katie, wife of John Rink, of Beardstown. On March 7, 1878, Mr. Newton was united in marriage with Mrs. Elvira (Park) Haney, daughter of John S. Park, who was born in South Carolina in 1802, and died in Illinois, in 1847. He removed to Spring Creek, Sangamon County, Ill., between 1832 and 1835, with his wife, formerly Mary A. Morrison, who was born near Maysville, Ky. Mr. Park finally took up government land located on the northeast edge of Joy Prairie, and at the time of his death owned 220 acres, all improvements upon which were the result of his own labors. He and his wife were the parents of eight children, one of whom died in infancy. Those who reached maturity were: Warren J., who died in Arkansas in 1876; Sarah G. (died in Oregon), wife of Martin C. Collier; Mary J. (deceased), wife of Jacob Valentine; Elmira A., who married J. A. Haney; George W., of Peculiar, Mo.; Caroline S., deceased, wife of Rev. Columbus Derrick; Josephine, widow of Ira Chase, of Haddam, Kansas. Mrs. Newton's children by her first marriage were: Ada V., wife of John F. Blimling, of Murrayville; Alma C., wife of Arthur Hamilton, Superintendent of the Railway Terminal System at St. Louis and East St. Louis; Grace E. , who died at the age of twenty; and Mary S., who died at the age of two years. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Newton have been: John Samuel, who died at the age of two years; and James Jay, residing at home.
Mr. Newton is a representative of that type of sterling man who finds delight in the accomplishment of those things which benefit his community. Possessed of an unselfish public spirit, a broad mind and generous disposition, he has come to be highly regarded as a citizen of genuine worth-helpful and progressive, and earnest in his espousal of all movements which are intended to elevate the moral, social and industrial status of Morgan County.