RICHARDSON, JOHN V., formerly a prominent and prosperous farmer, now living retired in his fine residence near Jacksonville, Ill., was born in the vicinity of Franklin, Morgan County, Ill., on February 14, 1840, the son of Vincent S. and Lydia (Rawlings) Richardson, natives of England, the former being born in Yorkshire. In 1830 Vincent Richardson came on a sailing vessel to the United States, the voyage consuming fourteen weeks. He landed in New York, and thence came by boat to Illinois where he entered several hundred acres of Government land, including the spot where his son, John V., was born. In 1831 he returned to England, where he was married to Lydia Rawlings, and during the same year, located permanently in Morgan County, brining his wife's family with him.
Vincent S. Richardson was the father of seven children, namely: Mary A., wife of Robert Riley, of Morgan County; John V.; William, who lives near Jacksonville, Ill.; Lizzie, who died in 1884, the wife of Charles Lazenby; George, who lives in the vicinity of John V.; Vincent, a farmer in Stafford County, Kans., and James, who is a farmer in Champaign County, Ill. The father of this family died in 1896, when nearly ninety years old, having always enjoyed good health, and being known as a liberal contributor to the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was successful in all his undertakings, and was influential in local politics, holding several township offices.
John V. Richardson remained on the farm near Franklin until he was ten years old, when his father removed to the place where the former now lives. He grew to manhood, attending school in a hewed log house containing one room, with a fireplace, slab seats and plank floor. Mr. Richardson remained at home until he was twenty0two years old, when he located on his present farm, there keeping "bachelor's hall" until the time of his marriage in 1866. On this place he has since continuously resided, with the exception of three months of 1879 which hee passed in England. The farm consists of 236 acres located on the State Road six miles west of Jacksonville. On it Mr. Richardson has made all the improvements, and until his retirement conducted general farming.
On November 28, 1866, Mr. Richardson was united in marriage to Mary Coumbes, a daughter of Richard W. Coumbes, and four children were born to them, namely: Minnie, who died at the age of eighteen years; John W., who carried on the home farm; Walter, who died when four years of age from accidentally drinking carbolic acid; and Annie, wife of William Coultas, who occupies the old homestead near Lynnville, Ill. The mother of this family died in 1887, and on October 25, 1903, Mr. Richardson was married to Alice M. Wilson, a native of Yorkshire, England.
In politics, mr. Richardson is a supporter of the principles of the Republican party. He has held the office of School Director, and served six years as Supervisor. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he is a Trustee. While in the full vigor of his prime, Mr. Richardson was regarded as one of the leading agriculturists of Morgan County, and the exceptionally fine farming property owned by him attests the intelligence, diligence, integrity and enterprise, through which it was acquired and developed.